Soria's Weekly paint. Lets do this!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Soria's Weekly paint. Lets do this!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:13 am

Ink and Wash are definitely different things. Washes are, at a minimum, diluted and ready for use - Ink is basically the most important component of many wash recipes, but is usually something like 10-25% of the volume of the wash.

Basically if you use ink straight, it's going to give a MUCH heavier effect than you're expecting :)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 am

Pictures of the tartan as promised.

Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:24 am

Good news: Got my trolls washed and high lighted (re: dry brushed) so all that I have to do is the bases and they are done... Until I can do a protecting coating at least.

Bad news: Not entirely sure what I am doing with the bases... Debating between deep forest, swamp or something closer to a desert. And of course just as I am finishing I drop a troll spear thrower and the business end of the spear broke off and got swallowed into the black hole under my desk. I was considering using a lance or halbred from one of my Brets but it doesn't look right. I'll figure out something... It seems like I can't have a Warmahordes army without one broken troop.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:03 pm

no plan survives contact with the enemy?

And I know what you mean about black holes omg I swear if I drop one more flippin thing down there ugh! Although last night I did one better and knocked over my pot of sepia wash sigh
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:02 pm

Ouch. That sucks. :( I was grumbling to myself about how none of GW models broke when I dropped them when I worked them... Then it hit me. I used to have carpets and now I have a hard stone floor... Maybe I should look into a rug for under my desk.

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:09 pm

ahh yeah, maybe a nice WHITE rug or something, make parts easier to see... lol

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:48 pm

I have a rug that perfectly matches sprue gray plastic...
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Yikes Dez. O.o I think a major downside to a rug would be my cat sharpening his claws on it.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:58 pm

I heard there are pheromons spray cans which work to discourage this kind of behaviour from cats. You spray it on things you want to protect. It would have been better if he was educated into doing it in a particular place, but at least you could protect the important things. It may sounds as a fraud, but I heard it really worked. Maybe if you asked the veterinarian, he would tell you.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:39 pm

those work, at least if you keep up on it (it wears off)

I usually just clip the cats nails. Like with nail clippers. Takes a few moments, less scratching all around, and they can happily mark their territory with the scent glands in their paws without doing much or any damage at all.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:28 am

Alrightie, sorry about the lack updates but I have been busy. Decided to go with a forest theme for basing my trolls, using moss instead of flock. Almost done that just waiting for stuff to dry so I can glue on bits of stone, wood and moss. In the mean time I have been prepping the Menoth starter box for building and painting... Although the whole process is making me question the sanity of PP's model design department. The light warjack is in way more pieces than the Heavy war jack... Which makes no sense to me.. But Meh. Also, on a good note, I was able to retrieve the troll speaker's spear tip from the nether of under my desk. Hoping glue greenstuff and prayers to the hobby gods keep it together.

In other news I attended my first ever broad game night. It was fun and I learned to play Super Dungeon Explorer... Which makes me want to collect the models... *sigh* as if I didn't already have issues trying to focus on two factions.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:14 am

Yep, I have severe model ADD.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Nappen wrote:Yep, I have severe model ADD.

QFT - me as well...

glad you found your bit tho Soria! I know what a pita that is. Still hoping my gremlin's foot shows up somewhere =/ I need to clean my desk off again lol

RE: the forest theme - I love using moss but I noticed it will absorb a ton of glue/water and expand. I'm just wondering how you plan to put yours on? straight glue? I was using the glue water method so it'd also be somewhat protected but I dunno if moss really needs it.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:48 pm

I was planning on straight glue. I didn't realized it expanded though... Only ever done snow bases.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:32 pm

ah yeah well it definitely does with water, regular pva is probably fine, just something to an eye on. not sure what else you'd coat it with, maybe just a matte finish