Tiger's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Tiger's #theweeklypaint

Post by TigerDave » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Dez wrote:LOL can I tell you how many times I've drank my brush water...
Did that this morning too ... "Odd - why is my coffee so col....yuck!!!"

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Super Glue definitely has a shelf life, even if they don't mention it anywhere. My Ultrathin glue right now takes upwards of a minute to set (unless in contact with skin, of course), but it's about a year old now and has made a few road trips with me (and so has probably been through a few temperature cycles that I'm guessing kill its shelf life).
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Oh yeah... I've had a few super glues set in the tube on me... And one I thought was blocked come unblocked.... All over my hands.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

easycompany
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Dez wrote:
TigerDave wrote:I've used just about every glue, I've finally come full circle to brush on brand Krazy Glue. The gel glue is really nice too.
:shock: Dez uses the power of the KRAGLE to make his minis amazing!
I have to go at my Army Painter super glue with a needle to unclog the tube every time I want to use it
Curahee!

Vault

Post by Vault » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:09 pm

+1

I haven't tried the brush on stuff honestly... Might have to remedy that. As far as PVA glue though I just get whatever... I get a lot of that "modelling cement" that I like to use... it doesn't dry -quite- solid enough though so I tend to use it when I'm pinning something. It gives you plenty of time to adjust things... probably why I like it.

I got this stuff from work some kind of oil rigger glue and it has so many warnings on the tube. Do not breath fumes, do not use near open flame, do not use near something else, do not get fumes in eyes, do not get on skin or clothing...
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:41 am

TigerDave wrote:... and then he rinsed his brush off in his coffee ...
I don't count anymore how often I did that... most the time I still consider ignoring it and keep on drinking the coffee... until I realise how stupid that would be and just go and make me another cup.
easycompany wrote: :shock: Dez uses the power of the KRAGLE to make his minis amazing!
Everything is awesome!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:59 am

Well, we didn't finish the Stormvermin. I got into painting them and wow, there is a ton of detail! So, I'm going to do the feet and the weapons and glue them to bases and progress over time. Just too much there, and I can't turn away from the detail.

So this week we do the Doomwheel. That will be my big project for the weekly challenge. I also will be progressing on the two Deathmatch entries. The Skorne warlock is already started, and I see that one going pretty good. I have my High Elf mage trimmed, but I haven't started her. I think s/he is actually going to get glued to a round base and I'll work her/him up from there. I'm almost positive that Warhammer is going to go to round bases in 9th, and I think I may start with Elves for that.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:06 pm

I think the stormvermin are one of the most detailed models... I still haven't finished mine. But anyway, sounds like you're progressing really well can't wait to see :)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

TheHoundmaster
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Ah, sweet sweet square bases! Loving the storm vermin and I can't wait to see more!
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:30 pm

Got a ton of great painting done today. The Doomwheel is now MOSTLY complete. I'll probably have the rest done by end of tonight but I need to do my "Lookit!" happy dance.

Don't know why I painted all the little rats different colors - can't even see them! But the little pink tails sticking up are cute! Hope you enjoy!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:54 pm

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 am

Very nice, Doom Wheel isn't easy to paint. Lots of fiddly bits ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:24 am

Here's your trick to Doomwheel:

You paint the ENTIRE thing on sprue. This gives you access to every fiddly bit from the get-go, and allows you to access everything.

Now on this one I won't lie. I didn't mess with a lot of edge highlighting. I'll probably do that now that she's fully built.

I would like a second one. I *think* what I am going to do is a video paint guide for how to do one and how to assemble.

And here are some shots of her 99% done. That last 1% is the banner, but I haven't decided yet on my army symbol, so that is going to have to wait.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:41 am

I did my Screaming Bell like that. I got the Doomwheel already built so I didn't have a choice. I figure if I can't reach it with a brush, it probably isn't all that visible and will be shadow/shaded anyway :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Agreed: I painted all the running wheel rats individually with different colors, but the only thing I can see after build is a few tails sticking up. Definitely made getting the driver/internal bits done a LOT easier though.