Tiger's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Tiger's #theweeklypaint

Post by TigerDave » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Well this information is considered "Pure WIN!" then! For the upcoming Harlequins release I am thinking of priming white (helps the colors POP). I will have to try the Rustoleum on some test figures.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:03 pm

Also, all of my Death Guard was primed in it. Probably more...I did a whole Skaven army in it (which I sold...duh) and that's all I can think of with a quick glance at my model shelves.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:16 pm

i'll check inout as well. local depots gettin low on Krylon anything... Lots of Rustoleumthough and I juat wasn't sure it'd work. i've "borrowed" some Wurth brand enamel paint from work before and it's meh.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:29 pm

I was using my hobby primer (craft section of michael's etc, not like home depot's home section, though there may be no difference in products) and I found it tended to clump and do other weird things in our humidity here in GA. Plus I was actually using it for other craft items so I just switched to GW primer for now.

I really really really like the black primer - it's like silk when it goes on, doesn't seem to need as much, easier to use overall etc. I'd like to go with Rhinox but it's not available where I am and I'm too impatient to wait to order it :P maybe when this batch runs out (ought to be soon I have a ton more units to make/prime)

Love your vermin lord there Tiger! I tend to slop a lot as well when doing the base coat at least when I am doing the multiple units... my ocd won't let me on special models lol. Those Daemons look kick butt too!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:32 am

Came home at midnight, spent two hours watching The Flash and singing the "I hate resin!" song.

Raider32
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Raider32 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:09 am

Looks good though, can't wait to see it finished.

I've been thinking about picking up some chaos daemons myself, there's something about those Horrors that call out to me, great looking models.

My Gf has just started painting daemonettes, she's only just got into the hobby and i look at her models and think......i may just quit painting. lol

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:38 am

I skorne Restic (cwhudeyedidthar?)

I have to catch up with The Flash, I'm currently binge watching Shameless while I build/paint at my desk.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:20 am

So.

Traditional Skorne is Red and Gold. In a way, this suits the army because these are "pretty" or "happy" colors, NOT a characteristic I would attribute to the tormentors!! However, I want something in the colder palette.

I want to keep the gold, but we're going to keep it on the dark, aged side of the tones. The color is associated with wealth, and to me is good for this "decadent" force; overall I want it to convey a concept of 'old money'. Black is perfect for "keeping it straight up sinister" (guess the movie quote?) so the armor panels will be done black and glossed up. I want to keep the dark and yet add color, so I will be going "Dark Eldar" on this and pulling Incubi Darkness on the cloth robes. Finally, I will be doing the "scissors" in Runefang and edged with Necron compound. I want the metal to look crisp and bright in comparison to the rest of the army. I think a little Blood for the Blood Guard to the business edges to indicate these see frequent use. Finally, the skin needs to be pallid and gross, so Rackarth Flesh (I love the grey-tinged flesh tones.)

By the way, this is my entrant into the Feb Deathmatch Big Brawl.

And Dez ... yes. Yes I do. I skorne it hearts.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:38 am

Broadcasting. Jump in Skype if you want to chat.

Twitch.tv/GhostRavyn
Skype TygerDaveJr

easycompany
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:56 pm

A local Warmahordes player I know has a beautiful blue and gold Skorne army. It looks really regal and proves that alternative colour schemes can work really well :)
Curahee!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:18 pm

RAWR!!!!!! I HATE SUPER GLUE!! I HATE METAL MINIATURES!!! I HATE RESIN!!!! RAWWWWWWWRRRR!!!!

<stompstomptantrumstomp>

Pardon that. Hold a sec ... gotta pull this arm out of my eyebrow ... *OWCH*. Okay. So we will come back to that later.

Not much today I admit, the bed just felt so ... snuggle-y. In the meantime, a little WIP on the warlock. This is basically my color test, so you can see what's happening. Pale flesh (done), with the dark green and tarnished gold. I want these guys to feel evil. The reds and golds are too lavish, too clean. I don't want them to feel clean.

Last edited by TigerDave on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dez

Post by Dez » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:31 pm

I hate Restic! Resin, metal, plastic...I can work with those. Restic is a nasty, awful substance that's prone to nigh impossible to remove without taking the detail with it

<goes into beastmode tearing off his sweatshirt and headbutts his own face off>

RAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:33 pm

I recently switched from using ultrathin Super Glue to a gel-based Super Glue. I hate working with it far less now, and have far fewer glued-my-fingers-to-the-model-to-my-fingers events.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:42 pm

... and then he rinsed his brush off in his coffee ...

I use Extreme Power thick. It's almost a gel but not quite.

I really think it has some sort of shelf life and I need a new bottle, which I remembered is typical with this brand. It's not "sticking" like it should. Usually I hold for 5-ish seconds and can now use the model to impale something with, but here I'm holding for at least 30 and there's no sticky whatsoever. Time to stop at the FLGS and get a new bottle.

As an FYI, I *was* going to cheat and do a Nemo as well, but I am going to drop that so I can focus on the builds I want to do (plus I still have one of his "tesla cells" glued to my armpit). I was going to do his armor in the style of Blackhand. Wanted smoky and fire.
Last edited by TigerDave on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dez

Post by Dez » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:45 pm

TigerDave wrote:... and then he rinsed his brush off in his coffee ...
LOL can I tell you how many times I've drank my brush water...

I've used just about every glue, I've finally come full circle to brush on brand Krazy Glue. The gel glue is really nice too.