Tiger's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Tiger's #theweeklypaint

Post by TigerDave » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:10 am

Official start date: 1 Feb 2015.

Welcome to my WiP page. Right now, we are working on Skaven with some Dwarfs added for spice, and I will soon start some Harlequins as well.

As an added oddness, I am streaming my workbench. If you get a wild hair, feel free to peek on in and see what I am up to. Also, if you'd like to call and chat, you can hit me up on Skype. I keep off hours, so you'll just have to check in to see if I am up and running.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/ghostravyn
Skype Chat: tygerdavejr
Last edited by TigerDave on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Tiger's #theweeklypaint

Post by Vault » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:03 am

Good luck with your progress.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:43 am

Okay -

So off to a good start. Build of the Stormvermin complete, along with bases and movement tray. Ready to start painting in the morning after the primer coat cures overnight. There's a warlord, a plague priest and some plague monks tucked in the upper left corner as well. I might be trying to get them built this week too.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:33 am

Year of the Rat!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:47 pm

You've got red on you ...

I got 8 in before the before-work nap.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Year of the Rat! (echoes)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Raider32
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Raider32 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 am

Those skaven are looking good, maybe put some close up pics

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Ah.

There is nothing fancy yet. Personally, I was tickled that I managed to get the stupid things built in one day! I think I've figured out my optimal build pattern though: Build on Sunday while watching movies and such, then prime before bed. Spend rest of week painting unit. Field on Saturday!

So, I started these with Rhinox Hide spray primer. I know we so often use black, but I actually like the warm tone of the Rhinox Hide to work up from as opposed to the cold black tone.

Step one, which is NOT awesome, is "slop red paint on". The key to success is thin coats. Not watery coats, but thinned down. You want the paint to go on smooth, with little to no brush 'footprints" on the figure. I am not trying to be neat, and I could even probably get away with airbrushing the whole figure Mephiston Red. However, we're just doing brush at this point. The goal is to get the red armor painted, washed and highlighted, then move to the details. You'd think it would be easier to start with the fur and work out, but truth be told the red is so invasive I find it easier to work that level first. So, here are a few "red slops" to look at.
ImageImage

I also did some shading on the Verminlord armor.
ImageImage

This is Agrax Earthshade, and this is more deliberately painted into the cracks rather than a full wash. I did however full wash the loincloth, and you can see how I am going to need to build the red back up to match the rest of the armor.

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Nice.
Yeah I have a similar problem where I base one colour and then proceed to immediatley paint just about everything a different colour with a couple of my armies. :/ But then I don't have access to an airbrush (yet) or any fancy smancey "proper" spray primers... just generic Krylon... and a whole 3 colours that aren't some form of gloss.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:36 pm

We all approach our hobby differently.

For me, there are a few "must-haves" before I start a unit:
- Must have some sort of storage system for transportation/protection
- Must have movement trays of some sort
- Must have the right primer

Now, I won't sneer anyone else's painting techniques, and I know there are a lot of people out there that swear Krylon flat black is the "shizz", and it's like 1/4 the cost! For me, Krylon seems to be too grainy, like the pigment is larger and meant for sanding (as in auto work, etc.) Chances are it is just fine, but I am the princess that can feel the pea through 20 mattresses, so I like a more miniatures-purposed primer. P3 has done good things for me, along with Citadel Black. I only got Rhinox because I was thinking "Primer = fur base! Done!!" until I decided I wanted a different fur color (going greys). But, I had this Rhinox primer, so I might as well use it ... BRILLIANT! I really love this primer! I do however use it as the base tone for my war machines. Primer, then go straight to drybrush then wash and ... tah dah! Wood done.

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:54 pm

I haven't had any problems with it so far but then that might just be because I haven't used the other stuff. I just can't get it unless Canada Post has decided I can ship spray paint in the mail now...
I don't get into the city where my "favourite nearest gaming shop" is (read: 400 something kilometer round trip) to get any of the "proper" stuff so the Krylon is pretty much my only option aside from basecoating everything by hand... which I sometimes do since it's winter. ;p
Storage is a hurdle I've gotten over... wit the help of my Work telling me to either throw a bunch of those coloured stackable storage bins out or to take them home. I now have a few dozen of those things.
Transport is something of an issue at the moment... but that aforementioned distance to and from the FNGS means I don't play very often so I can get away with skimping a bit on that.
Movement trays isn't really a thing for me since I play 40k... although after fielding a unit of 30 infantry I kind of wish it was. -.-;

edit: Yeah my Tyranids get sprayed black, dry brushed a few times and a bit of detaila nd then a lot of gloss varnish - done. ;p
Curious what you do for storage/transport though.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:04 pm

I use Generic $1 Flat Black primer you can get from Home Depot or Walmart. For white, I use drywall primer. Cheap...and the best. I've tried them all. Though I am liking the new Vallejo Model Game Air primer and paints. I like that I can prime in small batches inside, because New England likes to be cold and snowy.

The other primers I use and like are Flames of War stuff. Seriously, good primers!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Yeah - I can totally understand issues with availability. You can only paint what you have, period. I think if I had to I'd be fine with Krylon, but the GW primer has this real satin-like finish that I just love to paint on. So nice. But this is more like the "I like vanilla ice cream the best." I doubt anyone could tell the difference in primers from the finished models.

In ref. to Dez - I hate doing white at all! Doesn't matter what brand I use, the pigment dries before hitting the model, giving me a texture like snow flocking! Nooooo! I usually can scrub it off but I don't want to deal with that. However, I painted my Daemons army by doing white primer and then just washing to get the tones. Looked good - will post pix.

I have found that, if I don't have my storage cases already purchased, when I build my figures they end up in boxes and drawers, and that is 30 seconds from being busted.

So, I buy cases and foam trays in advance. If I don't have a place to park my figures, I am not going to build my figures. I know, it's anal retentive, but I find when I don't do that, the "I will buy cases later" ends up becoming "never" and then I end up with broken figures, chipped painting and a bad attitude about gaming. So, I have to be disciplined and force myself into that mode. Same thing with movement trays - just build them up front and call it a done deal. Besides, they're so easy to do it gets the start of the project off already feeling half done!

Below: Cases, movement trays (and the bases for the figures when I get done - it's just the way I do bases), and I did some work and got the verminlord's loin cloth done. Looks GREAT I think! (Little victories that make the job not so daunting).

EDIT: Hmm. May need to add the next level up in highlights on that - looks a little too subtle on the reds. For the gold? Not touching it. Looks fine by me.
Last edited by TigerDave on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Quick Daemons post:

And my Daemon Prince .... oh wait - that's one of me ...

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Yeah the Rustoleum Drywall Primer is the only white primer that hasn't dried on the way to the model for me, I swear by it. I also did a Warriors of Chaos army a long, long time ago with the same method. I love it, it's like Watercolor!