easycompany's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
easycompany
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: easycompany's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by easycompany » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Cheers Mike! Yes I'll have to grab some pics when I have the time. I'll check out the link but I'll probably just pick up something from my LGS next time I'm in. Is Army Painter a good range for brushes?
Curahee!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:14 pm

Army Painter aren't bad - they hold up better than a lot of synthetic brushes do (specifically better than white taklon) but will show their age over time. I love the triangular handles on them though. I still use the Insane Detail brush from time to time.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:31 pm

I've got a full set of them, and they are good for a while. Just be sure to take good care of them, they tend to all bend to one angle after a while so not only do you have to paint in detail...you have to do it at an angle :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

easycompany
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:46 pm

I've got a ton of schoolwork including an English essay to do this week so it doesn't look like I'll get much done until the weekend. I'll also do my best to make sure pics happen some time this week :)
Curahee!

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:28 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:Army Painter aren't bad - they hold up better than a lot of synthetic brushes do (specifically better than white taklon) but will show their age over time. I love the triangular handles on them though. I still use the Insane Detail brush from time to time.

What are your bushes of choice anyway?
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Vault wrote:What are your bushes of choice anyway?
I like Juniper bushes; they're decorative, but also pointy so they're useful for home defense. Plant a large juniper under your windows and people will have a hard time climbing in!

But since I'm sure you meant to ask about brushes, I primarily use the following:
  • Windsor & Newton Series 7 Size 2 - my go-to everyday brush
  • Escoda Kolinsky-Tajmyr Sable 1212 - assorted sizes, almost a perfect replacement for the W&N S7 and about half the price.
  • Army Painter Fine Detail & Insane Detail brushes
  • Assorted old GDub brushes for applying washes, glues, basecoats
  • Small Hog Bristle stippler - don't recall the brand. VERY stiff bristles for drybrushing.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
Vault wrote:What are your bushes of choice anyway?
I like Juniper bushes; they're decorative, but also pointy so they're useful for home defense. Plant a large juniper under your windows and people will have a hard time climbing in!
Don't they make gin out of juniper? :D

Huh. So there isn't a brush company that has a good all around range?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:Huh. So there isn't a brush company that has a good all around range?
Sure there are. Windsor & Newton are almost universally good, but at ~$30 a brush I just can't justify buying 8 or 9 of them. Rosemary & Co are, from what I've been told, also fantastic, and they make about every type of brush imaginable - I'll be ordering some next time I need new brushes.

That said... I pick the right tool for the right job, and I don't really care what brand is on the handle.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
That said... I pick the right tool for the right job, and I don't really care what brand is on the handle.

Makes sense... I am slowly ( very) getting past brand blind loyalty. Its a pain. X(
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:19 pm

I'll say, if I could only have one brush, it'd be the Windsor Newton Series 7 Size 1. Well-cared-for, it comes to a perfect sharp tip for fine details and freehandng, and has a large enough reservoir for basecoating, applying washes, etc.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:21 pm

-_- You are making me want to buy brushes Mike... stop it.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 am

I can't agree enough about the Windsor Newton brushes. I bought some and they are fantastic. In the long run, you are saving money by not buying new brushes every few months. You can also find them on Amazon for about $15.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Vault

Post by Vault » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:27 am

hah, yes I beant brushes. I blame my phone.

i'm rocking the set of three MWG used to sell, as well as some of the cheapish "bags of brushes" from Michaels
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:31 am

If you want to try a GOOD brush on a budget, check out the Escoda Series from Curry's - they ship quite quickly within Canada :)

https://www.currys.com/product.htm?Prod ... JMYR_SABLE

They're very comparable to Windsor & Newton in quality, and I've found Curry's customer service to be excellent.