Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks Wryce! I put final pics on my WIP thread - got tired of waiting for better light here, we've had so many grey days I finally just threw it in the light box and said to heck with it.

Here's some of my current projects:

There's a FB reaper group contest going on (anyone can enter, just join the group!) It's for Ursula the Ursuin Rider, one of the bones minis. You paint one up, and post it on Feb. 2 (or 3rd forget which, it's pinned to the page). And reaper has graciously added some gift certificates as prizes! Several of us are entering as a family project so this should be really interesting.
[+] Expand
^^ just the mini, post straightening the sword and washing it off carefully to remove mold release etc.

And I'm really happy to be finally starting these - got them for Christmas - intend them for Frostgrave. I'm doing as much as, or all of, the adventurers in these figures. Prolly won't finish till Bones III kickstarter arrives in Sept. tho.
[+] Expand
I have to really sit down and read more carefully through the book!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:05 pm

I am sooooo jealous right now. I have to build my Frostgrave group a bit slower.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Kdeff
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Kdeff » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:06 am

Well if something is going to be cuter then George that would be your mice army :wink:
Death Skull / Waaagh! Dugun 4934p orks 4-0-5
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 0#p1044324
[/b][/i]
Get 'em boyz!
Dakka dakka dakka!
WAAAGH! THE ORKS!
WAAAGH!
- Rotgob, Ork strategist

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:24 am

True they are the epic cuteness ;)

I got some more paint slapped on my Dead of Winter terrain piece, some sand on it, waiting for PVA/water to dry. Im always impatient at this stage. Basecoated the walls a bit, working on converting my corpses - omg that is soooo hard! I dunno how you wizards all do that >< I almost threw the fiddly little blank blankety blank bits out the window today. Dunno how they'll end up doing it, all I know is, thank god they're *dead* cuz they would look weird otherwise! not really any other painting done yet.

Kdeff

Post by Kdeff » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:20 am

Guildenstern wrote:True they are the epic cuteness ;)

I got some more paint slapped on my Dead of Winter terrain piece, some sand on it, waiting for PVA/water to dry. Im always impatient at this stage. Basecoated the walls a bit, working on converting my corpses - omg that is soooo hard! I dunno how you wizards all do that >< I almost threw the fiddly little blank blankety blank bits out the window today. Dunno how they'll end up doing it, all I know is, thank god they're *dead* cuz they would look weird otherwise! not really any other painting done yet.
I know you struggle. Its so hard just wait to sand clued on so you can paint over it. Thought now that I jave used that instead of that citadel basing colors I like sand little more with waiting

Also I remember when I was younger GW hobbyist Ivwanted throw my minis out off window too later years finecast did not help :?
[/b][/i]
Get 'em boyz!
Dakka dakka dakka!
WAAAGH! THE ORKS!
WAAAGH!
- Rotgob, Ork strategist

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 pm

ugh finecast hah I have enough troubles with the new plastics, glad I didn't hobby through those years!

Took long enough to convert me from metals tbh.

Speaking of metals, I'm trying to come up with a good colour scheme for my mouslings atm. I did decide to do the eyes as black, a bit more like another person I'd seen do them - they look much better that way than with 'human' style.

And on other colour schemes I think I'm going to do silver with blue on my son's necrons - maybe not the doomscythe, but the warriors for sure. I was going to do green but then I got this idea... you know those little lego translucent bits that they put on jedi swords and other things? It looks about the same size as the necron gun barrel so I'm going to see if I can put it in place of the gun barrel. Only they were out of green or it wasn't listed =/ so I got blue. I should get them soon, and if it doesn't work, meh my youngest will have more lego bits for his hoarde.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:30 am

You could prime and paint them blue.

Kdeff

Post by Kdeff » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:44 am

I'm so sad I delete my necron pics. I did paint em bone/violet/orange and they look different at least, I liked that weird theme so much, too bad that I did not make em more, Maybe some other day! :lol: I can try to dig some pictures If you want!
[/b][/i]
Get 'em boyz!
Dakka dakka dakka!
WAAAGH! THE ORKS!
WAAAGH!
- Rotgob, Ork strategist

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:37 am

Guildenstern wrote: Speaking of metals, I'm trying to come up with a good colour scheme for my mouslings atm. I did decide to do the eyes as black, a bit more like another person I'd seen do them - they look much better that way than with 'human' style.
May I make a suggestion with the colour scheme? Maybe make it were each Mouse has something smallish the same colour as what you decide to do the wizard and his apprentice. My reason for suggesting this is because the fluff states the soldiers are just hired mercenaries and I don't see any wizard spending a lot of coin on outgoing his hirelings.

Feel free to disregard what I said though. Just an idea, and my current obsession Frostgrave. (It's killing me I have to wait a week to order minis for it.)
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:32 am

Ooh lady soria that's an awesome idea!! love it!

& I hope you get your minis soon =/ sucks waiting lol

@Nappen that might work! I'll have to do a couple as a trial (after ya know, I've built them... sigh)

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:25 am

wow have not been updating like I should. Well, I haven't been doing a whole lot either so bleh.

Anyways, current progress this week: necron warriors almost de-molded and 1/2 put together. Doing the heads now (omg why did you put the connections to the sprue at the side of their face GW?? why??) I may regret it but I'm putting them completely together first with plastic glue. We started another game up and I have had to use soooo much superglue on my original models due to the first superglue bits just falling off sigh.

Gremlins still in same state sigh. Mouslings have some fur done. My bear rider I have decided to do as a Polar bear. probably because it finally got cold in our area of GA. The 'corpses' for my Dead of Winter ruins are finally done and primed. Ruins are complete sans snow, because I want to put down the corpses first. I did a test run of snows, quite like how a couple came out. I'm going to be using a couple of different methods and save the snow flock I got for the mouslings bases.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Yeah, GW is awful at placing connections on their models. They often put some in places like faces or other detailled areas that you can easily damage. I don't know what they are thinking.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:16 pm

[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Basecoating underway, trying for a fairly light blue on the wizard in sections. I want to try to make his staff look more like an icicle.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:36 am

I finally ordered a mousling. Found the bartender and wynch set for 4.95 so picked them up.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Nappen wrote:I finally ordered a mousling. Found the bartender and wynch set for 4.95 so picked them up.
oh nice deal! that's a great price for those