Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Guildenstern wrote: Anyways, here's Lenny!
But if this is Lenny, where is Karl? :P (Sorry, I'm one of these The Simpsons fanatics poisonning threads with semi-obscure references)

I love it! He's the coolest pig farmer I've ever seen. :D
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:18 pm

I think lenny is actually a reference to Lennie (sp?) in Of Mice and Men :D Wyrd is.... errr weird like that lol
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:34 pm

That looks so good Guildey! I love his skin tone, how did you do it?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:32 pm

I really need to get back to my gremlin army...

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Nappen wrote:I really need to get back to my gremlin army...
Ya! :D that'd be awesome

I started looking at all my gremlins again going omg they're so small... cry. And in so many pieces still. Sigh. Something to work on for the holidays! I really want to fill the cool display board I made them lol

And Lady Soria, um I used waagh flesh as a base, then I did a mix with lorren forest green, basically I just added a drop to the base and each subsequent layer I added a drop of the next layer paint - trying for better transitioning. The other two layers are Straken and nurgling (didn't use much of that last).

I really have a problem highlighting feet :( I just... I dunno where to highlight them. I try for the ankle bone, the raised surfaces of the tendons and a bit of the heel (where I figure light would hit it) but it never quite looks right with that alone. I dunno I guess I should study more pictures of feet to help.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:49 pm

Looks cool to me!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern

Gremlins!! and an OSL trial

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:59 pm

So here's some of my WIP on my Gremlins:

The pig for the Hog Whisperer. This close he looks a bit fuzzy likely due to the priming, tabletop level he's fine. He's done except for his matte protective coat - he'll go on the base with the Hog Whisperer. I did Bugman's glow again as a base skin tone, mixed it up a few times with Cadian flesh to make highlights. I did chestnut gold from reaper line on his "mohawk" and then did eldar flesh dry brush over it lightly (after agrax wash). Black on the hooves and I just did a wash in the eye region as I just couldn't seem to get in there to paint them well enough.

Some of the Bayou Gremlins (with Hog Whisperer - bloke with the fork). They're minus most of their apendages because it really blocks painting them. I'm not looking forward to getting their arms on them either as they're quite fiddly.

Skeeters - not sure how I'm going to do their legs etc. I decided the main carapace would be a purpley colour, I intend to paint the under parts probably something like green. Not sure yet. I looked at a lot of reference pictures for mosquitos and how others had painted their skeeters and just decided to heck with it, I didn't like any of em and real ones are fugly so I'ma gonna make it up.

Remaining two Bayou gremlins and slophaulers. Not really much done on them yet. Missing their bits again as it also blocks painting access.

And a test of OSL for my son's Hexwraiths:

1. paints mixed whilst wet, overlain by glazes.
2. paints mixed on a 'bed' of water, ended up being more an experiment in how to marble something. It was flowing really well at the end there, I could have made an interesting pattern if I'd wanted.
3. more or less traditional dry brushing, bit quick. put a glaze over top, just to see - yellow first then red
4. drybrushed white, glaze of red then yellow
5. was just shades so not much to see

So, final verdict is - I hate them all. Even tho I did them quite quickly, I don't see potential in really any of them except possibly 4. I would do a grey though, colour it up a bit with shades instead, then possibly glaze over it in two sections, red at lower and yellow at top but not at very top where 'heat' would be (light brightest).

So, i think it's really just out side of my current capabilities. And these areas I did are *much* larger than the areas on the models so I just don't have a good feeling about it. I think rather than be stymied by the impossible I'm just going to finish painting them up, sans 'glow' and maybe someday I can come back to 'em.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:32 am

#2 is cool. Not sure how you mix on a bed of water...need to google that. Your right, would make a great marble effect. I kind of like #4 fairly subdued but has a blast effect feel. Your right, though, on the hexwraiths, not sure there is the area or the texture for it.

Where are you going to have the OSL coming from? There are so many points of light (not a thousand). What about a very thinned down color of whatever the light source is (can't scroll back far enough to see it) over the areas that the lights would shine on? Would be one note but would create the effect.

EDIT

Went back and looked, so maybe a thinned down orange?

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:46 am

I feel than one or two still quite interesting. #1 looks like some kind of explosion while #2 makes a quite convincing rust effect. Even #3 makes quite convincing liquid steel like you would find in a steelworks.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:00 am

That is what #3 reminded me of. couldn't put my finger on it. not quite lava, but molten metal.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:29 pm

@Nappen - yeah the areas in question are quite small, that would be "lit". I'm thinking about maybe combining them sorta... that is where there is several close to each other, just doing one section as lit.

RE: water bed (lol) - that was more a descriptive term I dunno if there's like a technique or something with it. What essentially happened was, I put down the mephiston red as a base, and for some reason, I think I was going to try wet blending but it was getting dried too fast, I put down a bit of water with the brush. When I went to add further highlights, I had added quite a bit of water, and some flow improver, hoping they'd be thinner so the colours would show through to make a nice glow effect. What ended up actually happening at that point was several layers of the highlight paints sitting on the surface of the water, kinda, and allowing me to actually move them to make a marbled effect. I didn't really try to play with it, once I realized it wasn't mixing as I'd hoped I just moved on. I think part of the reason this whole thing happened also was the flow improver and, since I was just 'testing', I wasn't being very patient and did it quite quickly. Course next time I actually want this to work, watch it not lol

@Wryce - I decided to try your ideas out. I only did *maybe* two glazes before, I really don't have a lot of experience with them and didn't realize they could need more than one coat, honestly. Right now I'm just doing another test of a painted section (red to yellow), and glazing that. Have to see how it goes!

I like the gradient idea, but not sure how it's going to translate to an actual area on the model since they're so different in shapes. I might give it a go, certainly going to test it just to have some fun.

At least now I'm a bit more inspired again! I was so put off at this idea last night after my efforts. I guess sometimes just need to give it more time!

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:44 am

Finally got it sorted in my head so I could make this collapsable table thing for our wargames. Not perfect, hinges aren't quite as strong as I'd hoped, I may add a third one to help. I put some fabric on the opposite side to the screws to help protect my table temporarily. I'll probably just have to cut off their excess and file them flat, as the boards don't close quite right with the fabric in the way.

And here's Playboy's VC vs. my Skaven for our newest game, round one, he's casting gaze of nagash iirc.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:26 am

Cool beans.