Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Sarkastik
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Re: Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

Post by Sarkastik » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:16 am

Lady_Soria wrote:
Sarkastik wrote:Great job on the flesh sir!

Almost makes me want to start painting skaven again...

almost...

Cheers!
*PSst* Guildey is a lady!

Whoops! My aplogies!
My Armies:
CSM - WIP
Tyranids - WIP

Twitter - @Sarkastic87

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:17 am

Nice work, I personally don't care for magnetizing...because it's hard :) I flubbed a couple Forge World Death Guard dreads and got really mad at myself.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Sarkastik wrote:
Lady_Soria wrote:
Sarkastik wrote:Great job on the flesh sir!

Almost makes me want to start painting skaven again...

almost...

Cheers!
*PSst* Guildey is a lady!

Whoops! My aplogies!
is np ^_^ not like you can tell from a handle

@Dez, yeah it's frustrating! at least you cant see the mess I made of the model inside! lol

*edit*
late night update - so I got some more work done on the Verminlord, his fur is almost ready for highlights. I did a couple drybrushes first, so I'll mostly be highlighting the tips. Started on some of the metals. I couldn't get outside to my workshed to finish drilling holes for the magnets yet (it's pouring rain and I didn't feel like it), so I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Got a test scheme done up for the Hexwraiths for playboy - black with flames. Pretty sure I can do the flames ok, but honestly not sure about the OSL bit (from the flames).

Worked on my tech priest engiseer FW guy, DS saw it when he came in to investigate. It was funny, he's not quite directly sucked into WH yet, but he really liked that model and we started talking about the machines and Horus Heresy. He said he'd been reading some of my WH books and really liked the Iron Hands lol So, I showed him the Betrayal at Calth box and I guess I'm going to be painting one side up as Iron hands
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Hexwraiths WIP

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:41 pm

here's my trial piece for my son's Hexwraiths. I like how the flames came out ok, but I'm struggling with interpreting the OSL. basically trying to get the 'glow' from the flames to show on the cloth/barding. Advice would be great :D

Anyways here's the pix:

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:42 pm

They look great for sure! You've make a great job on the flames!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:05 am

You've done really well with those flames! I guess the easiest way for an OSL-effect would be to drybrush a dark red followed by a brighter orange... but as drybrushing isn't a very exact method of painting you might end up ruining your nice flames...
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:18 pm

I build up first on the darkest color (red), using very watered down paint. Keep building until it looks 'glowy' expanding the area and intensity. Remember it will be strongest near the source/lightest parts. I then find the areas across from the other lighter colors, building up the same way.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Dez wrote:I build up first on the darkest color (red), using very watered down paint. Keep building until it looks 'glowy' expanding the area and intensity. Remember it will be strongest near the source/lightest parts. I then find the areas across from the other lighter colors, building up the same way.
So, sounds like about the same way I did the flames except in a less precise area of application.

What about glazes? I don't really get glazes to be frank. I know in principle they're supposed to sit on top of the colours painted and help 'tie' them together but... in application, I just don't quite get how I could or should use them.

I dislike drybrushing just because it does leave that dry particulates behind, great in certain places, not so great in others. And because it'll frankly be hard to do in a lot of areas on these, not just because they're small but because there's some really flat or rounded surfaces.

Well, anyway I'll give it a go and worse case, I have to start over :) It'll be good practice for my dwarf miners who I plan to be using only candlelight anyway!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Maybe you could try the new techniques on an unused bit instead of on very nicely painted miniatures. :P
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:44 pm

just finished magnetising my VL *happy dance* so I'm going to go ahead and finish painting him, since his basecoat's almost done anyway <3

Looking forward to basing him, as I think I will change it up a bit, so's to make it easier to trade out the doomglaive for the single weapon (since one stance has him with his foot on a rock, the other on the doomglaive)

Guildenstern

Verminlord

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:07 am

here's another WIP shot, got him settled on his base (he's just standing, not glued/pinned). Going to do swamp water around the wall with just a bit of grass, earth - like he's crushing the wall on his way to the solid ground. Something like that. I like the little stone bit that comes with the model but it just wasn't cinematic enough imo for my swamp theme so I decided to go with something a little different.

To be done: tail, arms (highlights), metals on weapons, base

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:21 am

Very cool so far...now to finish Lenny :)

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:43 am

Looks amazing...I stand by my opinion that it looks like Krumpus.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:59 pm

God I really hate closing the silly browser window before I'm done sigh

Anyways, here's Lenny!

It's his new incarnation, I did him a bit different - pants are tan, log is lighter wood (not completely done yet, nor is the hand holding it, it's not actually attached to the model yet). And I tried to make his hat look a bit more like it was a straw hat. Looks kinda ok on top I reckon, not very good on the underside at all tho