Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:30 pm

So here's one of my current projects. It's tough trying to get time to paint =/ Stayed up way too late last night to get some paint time in, working on a VC battalion box for my middle son. I finally got him to admit he might be less than interested in painting... but I'm working on him! I th ink he just worries he'll not do a good job, anyway, I digress.

I started mainly with the corpse cart, we also have some skeletons put together, which Playboy (my son) helped with. He also did the undercoat and helped a bit with the base coat. He's 15 and very artsy but probably even more OCD in a sense than I am lol

Here's the cart in sub-assemblies:

The wagon's basecoat is done, needs a bit of touch up in spots. Did a sepia shade and nuln on the metal to age it some, I may leave the metal at that, not sure yet. It's meant to look older anyway. Probably will do a lot of rust. I'm tempted to try making the wood look old as well... you know how it tends to get white/lighter splotches on it from weathering and such... I dunno, it's a thought at this stage, is all.

My vision of the cart is basically it's only really held together by magic, the whole of it otherwise reeks of necro power - or whatever you'd like to call it. I plan to do a green glowy light on the brazier best I can.

The corpses up front are meant to be zombies while the ones in the cart are simply extras, not yet zombiefied.

Mind you I have no idea if this is cannon, I just like the idea of it.

The rest of the cart's built, the driver etc, but not totally put together. He looks rather difficult to paint once put together so I'm doing him in bits which will hopefully match well when I do finish assembly.

Things I've learned:
sub-assemblies GOOD
wrong bits on sub-assemblies BAD (I may have difficulty getting the actual corpses past those tines on the sides ><)
those little plastic pretend metal bits? Still just as freakin sharp as metal >< I have the wound to prove it doh =/
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Guildenstern's weekly paint aka motivation thread

Post by Dez » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:12 pm

I started my oldest painting when she was young (3 maybe?) and it's time to start the young'un. I still proudly play with those in my Ork army today, and people always ask me about my pink Orks. I of course proudly tell them ;)

Let him know it's fine, and to do his best. You can always repaint them, it's not permanent...kinda. Simple green fixes about anything.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks Dez, that's a good point as well about the simple green.

and soo cute to hear about pink orks :P lol

as regards my painting today I got....

four zombies pants painted. Sigh. But every little bit. My eyes are going so it can be tough to paint at night, I find I need daylight more and more. Eventually I'ma get a larger Ott light, like the ones used for sewing.

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:09 pm

The Ott lights are pretty good. I designed my office with painting and gaming in mind, I have extra overhead lights and they are fluorescent so really bright.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:15 pm

My son is the same. He eventually admitted he was afraid he would do a bad job. I told him who cares. Have fun and paint it the way you want.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:33 am

Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:19 pm

lmao... ^^

SO showing him that!

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Welcome aboard the motivation train.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:44 pm

much happier with progress this weekend (long holiday here in US so yay \m/)

Anyway, I got my son to work on his skellies. I think some may be from Tomb Kings but hey they're all bones I figure. Anyway, here's those (I did help with details, he did all the dry brushing and a lot of the main painting tho):

^^ was trying to get a close up of the front rank ended up with back :(

had to use flash today as it's pretty grey even with light box, couldn't see details too well but the above is all the ones we've finished (well still need some banners done, little touch up and bases but the latter will wait til we have a theme in mind for the whole army)

I got my youngest son's dwarven bolt repeater (I think it's called) put together, primed and started to do ground work. No pictures yet.

I got the corpse cart waggon pretty well done. Gave up on the old wood idea, mostly because overall it's not too visible. The corpses in the cart are done with base coat, no real details yet. I tried to vary the clothing up some to give it a bit more distinction, in the piles of dead bodies... and found I'd completely missed a rat lol.

Played with a little of the Ryza rust, dry brushing paint... see if I liked it. Undecided at present.

Next step, some face work (which I suck at), rat details (cuz rats = love) and more gore.

I also got the driver put together, primed and started base coating. I'm trying out a ghostly purple. So I added abbadon black to xerues(sp) purple, and I'm going to try various layers and see how it works out. It's another experiment. His face/hair is going to be a bit green (skin too) so it'll complement the purple. Thus is the plan, at any rate.

I have a pile of elves for my hubby sitting on my desk (just the IoB stuff), which I'm trying to get done enough so we can play lol but so far I feel pretty good with what we've accomplished.

I prolly won't have more painting time til this coming weekend as well =/

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:03 pm

...what was your son worried about? He did a great job!

Looks like you have lots of fun painting in your future, it's even better with family involved. Have fun and enjoy it!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Dez wrote:...what was your son worried about? He did a great job!

Looks like you have lots of fun painting in your future, it's even better with family involved. Have fun and enjoy it!
What he said :D
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks guys, Playboy was tickled with your comments :)

Got our family update, did a good bit this weekend on my son's VC's battalion. We got the crypt ghouls and direwolves put together. I finished the corpse cart to about 95% (need to get the lanterns on, finish brazier, wanted to do a bit more with that ram on front, base finished).

Also, did a bit on the youngest's dwarf cannon and a miscellaneous pack donkey that got in the picture lol

Oh yeah and Skaven guy with net (Gutter runner? not sure) I'm in the middle of trying to repair his legs, he's got a pin for one (with foot) and the other needs a bit of green stuff filling maybe.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:21 pm

didn't get much done this weekend =/

did some work on my Ikit claw, Skrolk and that pack donkey from earlier.

I had some base work done on Ikit, leadbelcher and copper but I decided I didn't like the copper, and also I hadn't used leadbelcher under those areas as a base. I redid them using the leadbelcher as a base, which I've found out gives light coloured metallics (like gold and copper) a better look/coverage.

I decided to do more bronze than copper on Ikit, I like the colour a lot better than the copper which seems much too red to me. Except for the leadbelcher I use valejo metallics mostly. The GW ones I've picked up have been extremely disappointing.

I got an order of paints and a couple more minis in from Reaper Saturday. I was really excited about the Starhawk model. Very cool mech. I'm contemplating using it for our Iron Gods (Pathfinder) campaign later. But anyway I did get a really neat paint in I was happy to play with: adamantium black. It's pretty much like a leadbelcher + abadon black mixed. Very subtly metallic, and dark. I decided to try to use it on strategic points on Ikit. It does look pretty snazzy on his banner, under the rat.

(I'll post pics later when I get a chance to take 'em)

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:20 pm

basing more or less done, some clean up to do. Going to vary the metal bits on Ikit claw a lot more. I'm emphasizing a more steel colour, with some bronze and tin bits, to bring out the different items. And I'm thinking I'm going to do the tiny screws and littlest bits in that black metallic I talked about earlier.

Guildenstern

elves elves elves elves!

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:05 pm

Took a break from helping Playboy with his VCs and got more work done on the Elves from our IoB set. Progress on the set is pretty slow atm, since I'm working on other projects. I'm maybe 75% done overall. Soon it'll be enough to use it to play though.

Anyway, so I started working on the Elf squads (named 1 and 2 for convenience):Image

^^ got most of the base layer done here. I did legion drab on a lot of the areas that are either going to be white or gold. The scale mail is going to stay iron coloured, though I'm adding gold on some bits for variety. This squad's theme is more blue with white enamel (the upper armour piece), with red gems.

These guys are a little less done, still working on base colours. Their theme is meant to be more sea related, with the same blue and white as the other group, but with green gems and green trim in places (mostly belts I'm thinking). Shields are going to be white, with green sea serpents and red accents here and there (like the rune etc)

And here is the last phase I completed, mostly first layer on helmets (again going for white enamel type colour) and the white trim on the cloth under the scale.

(I figured out I'd swapped the commander to the wrong group in the above first two pictures, here he is with his proper squad.)