drsergenpainting 2015 thread.

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: drsergenpainting 2015 thread.

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:05 pm

lol I hope you told her! (or maybe not...)

I find brush on primer works best on metals, the stuff I spray on just doesn't seem to last as well

Some metal models I really like still although the newer plastics are great. Really just depends on the brand/mfg I guess too. Like Mersiel (sp) from pathfinder/reaper arrrrrrgh that artist/designer should be shot! I still can't get her arm on right ><
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Best primer for adhering to metal models I've found so far? Rustoleum flat grey automotive primer. Sprays on in nice, thin, even coats and makes a great surface for paint in terms of adhesion. Plus also it's like a quarter the price of the primers sold by miniatures companies. That said, I've found it's more likely to react to mold release than some other primers, so pre-washing your minis is highly recommended.

drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:39 am

washing minis from now on seems like a chore i will be doing.
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:16 am

You only have mold release react badly with your spray primer once before this becomes standard practice. ;)

drsergen
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:18 am

hahaha yeah im having issues with another model and this might be the issue. . .
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:20 am

okay so i had a conversation with a friend last night about a bunch of new models he has coming in the mail for infinity malifaux and xwing and man i wanna buy new models so bad but i just dont have the funds the craving is driving me insane.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:07 pm

Malifaux models are pretty cheap and really nice....I've almost got all the Gremlins already.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:30 pm

guildball is not cheap is really cool to me. . . but has metal models.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:54 am

new model im planning on painting for a FB group competition

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Those are probably the best photos you've taken so far. They'll look even better when its painted!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:38 pm

thanks. ive been working alot on my photography of my models that ghetto backdrop i made really helps.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:45 am

heres a 1st step updated on my Dire Troll Blitzer. I have been tryingt o start out by laying a basecoat of a shade darker than what color i want the model to be, to make it easier to achieve the shadows.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:47 am

That's the way to do it! Another technique is to paint your base color, hit it with a wash, and then build on the base coat again leaving the washed area where you want your shadows.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:56 am

thats how i normally did it. im trying this out this time the next coat of trollblood base i am going to try and really thin down, havent figured out how im going to do that yet though. but thats the plan.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:42 am

worked on this model last night.

and than got a bit carried away taking pictures of models i have already painted for infinity let me know if you wanna see them. . and ill post them there are alot.