drsergenpainting 2015 thread.

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: drsergenpainting 2015 thread.

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:14 pm

I've always hated metal miniatures with passion. Not only the parts don't glue together correctly, but the paint also peeled off with age and manipulations. If you knew how many times Ahriman's hand holding his staff broke appart, you would become dizzy. Even will all the headaches linked to resin, I still prefer it a lot to metal.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 pm

drsergen wrote:I think my mother in law can get me a few she is a nurse .... I'll snag some there but I'd love the cool black ones tattoo artists have lol but I bet those cost more
Nah, I think they're the same price. I have a whole box of the black ones. They come in boxes of 100, which will take me most of forever to go through. But don't expect to get more than a couple of uses out of one of them - the material is very thin (great for getting a firm grip on minis) and breaks down after a while (probably as a result of slow chemical interaction with the oils/moisture of your hand - which will sweat like the dickens inside the glove). But they work great. I have pretty sweaty hands normally, so for me they are an absolute necessity if I am working on anything that's too big or awkward to mount on a cork or pin-vise or whatever. They came in especially handy when working with the legs of my Triarch Stalker, for instance.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:32 pm

As for breaking off pieces, I have found that pinning solves most of those problems completely.

Plastic is much easier to clean (i.e. remove flash, mold lines, fill gaps, etc) or convert, though.

And resin just makes me angry. >:(

drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:37 am

anyting but metal i hate paitnign metal models. . . . and i hate pinning metal models. . . . sigh why privateer press why!!!
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:33 am

I also use Nitrile gloves...but I have a real problem with getting my hands dirty or messy. I wash my hands like Howard Hughes :)

Be careful of latex gloves, I am allergic to those and would have terrible skin problems just wearing them for small amounts of time.

I might be alone in this...but I actually really like painting metal models. My most hated material is restic.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:47 am

Yeah, I enjoy painting metal too - they typically offer higher detail than plastic minis (that's changing in recent years, but it's still true) and sharper details because they can have undercuts in the mold, etc. I also just appreciate the weight of them more when handling them.

On the other hand, I'm clumsy, and plastic minis tend to not explode from slight drops :P
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

drsergen
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 am

i dont mind resin models either i just find the paint chips so much on metal models. and rubs off so easily. . .
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:44 pm

If your models are primed correctly and handled with care, it shouldn't be rubbing off at all. When painting metal models, you should be using some sort of clamp or cork to hold them so you're not getting oil and dirt from your hands all over them - or barring that, wearing a latex/nitrile glove on your holding hand. If your bare skin is touching the model, you're basically doing it wrong.

Making sure they're fully primed (no bits of metal showing through at all) - with an actual primer (not just a base coat of paint) is also key. Primer is not paint, it's a surface preparation, used to improve durability and paint adherence.

I know you know most of this Serg, I'm mostly restating it for public record and to help anyone else reading this :)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 pm

awesome thanks. yeah even my spray on primer seems to come off when i handle the metal models i thought that wouldnt happen gloves i will be getting.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Yeah spray-on primer can still come off from general handling - your finger prints are actually pretty abrasive at small scales, and the oils in your skin soften the primer up, making it weaker.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:47 pm

ewwwww skin.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Try washing your models first, sometimes the mold release can cause primer and paint to not adhere to the surface.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:23 pm

yeah that. i never do that.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:41 pm

Tsk tsk tsk Serg!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:03 pm

now i have found a use for my wifes toothbrush