Vault's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Vault's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Vault » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Let's see if we can't be more constructive this year? (By we I mean me, you folks are great.)

I got around to finally pushing some GS into that kitbashed Prime I made so his head looks proppa now. I also watered down some craft paint to make a primer and here we my Tyranid Prime, or as I like to call him; Mr. Simmons.

So you know; progress. Hopefully this works out. I haven't done too much with these acrylic craft paints as far as miniatures go. My next step is to drybrush him wth everal grays and these paints have a somewhat coarse feeling to them when they dry... so here's hoping. (I'm also seeing a whole lot of spots I missed when I primed. :roll: )
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Vault's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Dez » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Looking forward to seeing you work!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Dez wrote:Looking forward to seeing you work!
What he said! Welcome to Weekly :D
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Mr. Simmons after his bath in Badab Black... I really need to learn the new names of paints... it really annoys me that they did that. On a random note...

A couple minor conversions on some Orks.
One holding a Necron Weapon... and wow I need to scrape the mould line off those stickbombz... it doesn't look that obvious at 1:1. :x

And one with a Stormbolter and a Tyranid Bone swordI ran out of right hand guns sooo this is actually the... double headed chain axe held in one hand arm.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:34 pm

I can see mold lines on the side of the pants and a sprue scar on top of the helmet...but that's nit picking (which I'm doing for myself right now).

Cool use of 'Cron stuff! I'd love to see it integrated into a unit with a Big Mek conversion, using 'Cron tech.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Nice! I've been working on a converted Space Marine for a custom chapter that uses a Necron Phase Sword as well (PW counts-as); my idea is that the Chapter recruits from a relatively savage imperial world which was once a Necron Tomb World; a Warrior's rite-of-passage often involves descending into the Tombs and retrieving some artifact - often having to face half-mad, poorly-maintained Necrons in the process. Being a bit of a savage people however, they don't grasp that these are Necrons but believe the caverns to be haunted.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing your thread now. Awesome work :)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Dez: The Nob was -just- assembled yesterday evening so I'll use that as my excuse there. I didn't even notice the one on the pants until you pointed it out. :x I do love the idea of making a Big Mek out of my Necron stuff. I'll have to see what I've got lying around in my little box of Necron parts... though I'm pretty sure I have an unopened box of Canoptek Wraith to dig into if I really wanted.

Mike: That... is actually a pretty cool idea. One I'd love to see as well.. I'm also just doing it for the "looks cool" factor. I might work in a few power swords or chain swords... I'd hardly call it that a thread de-railing though.

I was just at the hardware store on my way back from an x-ray appointment. (One of my co-workers happened to be getting something for the shop and gave me a rough time.) I picked up some wood filler and some cheap ice-cube trays... I remember seeing a little terraint utorial somewhere on dragon's teeth tank traps or... something to that effect?
Edit: counting down the minutes. If my tool supplier doesn't show up in the next two hours I'll have a spare 300$ and can pick up a Deathstorm or whatever the kit is called. Otherwise... thursday.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:24 pm

nice! on a totally side note...

I can definitely see why you call him Mr. Simmons :P lol
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:29 pm

looking forward to more of mr simmons

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:31 pm

No Mr. simmons today... really all I've accomplished thus far is base-coating the three Zoanthropes I've pledged to complete this week. Well that and knocking the stack off one of them. Apparently I didn't have very good bot to mini contact when I glued them together. >:T

I almost went and made a request in the Bitz sharing group... but the number of things I was listing out of a Dakkajet/Bommer kit I might as well just buy the kit just for the bitz.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Raider32
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Raider32 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:06 am

Can't wait to see mr. simmons in his full painted glory :D

Vault

Post by Vault » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:20 am

Got the first layer of grey drybrushed onto the zoanthropes I pledged... Painted the brainy part in Daemonette Hide purple so far ... Tomorrow being the cutoff is... Yeah

edit: On track to finish off since I got out of work early due to the oil-patch slowdown + weather. Yay.

FInished my other two layers of drybrushing, forgot a step and went to the first of the blue on chitin plates... wound up having to wash badab black over that... which likely won't hurt anything... Then I washed the purple with Thraka Green because I have no idea. I'll drybrush something over it later... Just waiting for the black wash to dry so I can do my next layer of blue...
I'm mostly only doing the blue on the head plates of these things so that's speeding the process up. Everywhere else is just waaaay to small to bother. >.>

But yeah, no reason I can't make it before tonight. :D
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:44 pm

And they're done once the varnish dries.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Raider32
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Raider32 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:12 am

Looking pretty sweet man, i've always been tempted to do a nid army myself

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:45 pm

Ehehehehe... Not pictured; metal Techpriest... which I can't do anything with but Techpriests are cool.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points