Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:45 am

Khankore wrote:I really like this Mike. I'm not familiar with the model, is there any custom green stuff sculpting going on with this model? The faded blend on the base is top notch...soooooo smooth.
Nothing custom at all - even the base is straight out of the package!
http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gall ... 25_w_1.jpg

Only thing I changed was gluing the scenic base it came with to a 40mm round for some extra height, and slightly bending the spellcasting effect around.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:48 am

Lady_Soria wrote:It's an awesome model. I am a bit surprised you didn't go with a cold colour scheme, but still looks awesome.
There were two reasons I didn't (and believe me, I thought about it!)
1 - I wanted to make sure it *really* stood out on the table. Some much of the scenery is grey, white, light blue... I didn't want to risk the Lich ever disappearing into the background.

2- I went with the assumption that the Lich was sealed away long before the magical catastrophe that buried Frostgrave in permanent winter, so there's no real reason for the Lich to have an icy/wintery theme. Instead I wanted to go with an evil, menacing look - which black and reds tend to pull off well :)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:08 am

Very limited paint time this past weekend, but at least this guy is done!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:36 am

That makes a lot of sense. I guess I have WoW to blame for my association of cold and the undead.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:40 am

BTW, in universes like Donjon and Dragon, Lichs are simply mages that embraced undeath in the goal of cheating death. They can still hurl fireballs and other kind of spells. Morover, elven lichs (baelorn I think they are called) are actually good or neutral aligned and are mages who choose to embrace undeath to serve and protect their people for eternity.

While ice goes well with the undeath theme, it's really Warcraft III and WoW that tied so strongly these two themes together, but lichs have a much longer background in medieval fantastic universes than that. So, I like how Epic Duck Mike painted his lich. It's really refreshing.
Last edited by Kovlovsky on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:45 pm

I agree with Kovlovsky - I really like you color choice and execution. It's a pretty piece Mike. Well done.
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:03 pm

O.o wow. Very awesome about the Liches... I didn't read many novels that had one in them. Only comes to mind was a Forgotten Realms novel about magic ring and some paladin like keep.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Worked on the colour test for a Blood Bowl dwarf team - the client loves it, which is a positive :)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Who doesn't love Blood Bowl?

Oh you meant the dwarf :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Nice!

I should post pics of my old Undead BloodBowl team (the "Gravesburg Shamblers" of course). Man, that game was fun.

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Again, I'm a sucker for blue and white! I love it Mike!
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Must...resist..urge... To paint dwarves blue and white....

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 am

No painting last night, I was playing with my new Steam Link & Steam Controller (but not Fallout 4, because I have too much painting to do in the next week to let myself get sucked into that!)

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:09 am

it is a beautiful game...

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:55 am

Oh man, the Steam Link I asked for for my birthday/Xmas that I'll never get even though I asked when preorders came out and I never ask for anything from my wife and buy her jewelry and iPhones at every holiday #grinchspouse
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!