Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks everyone :D It's been a week since the engagement and we're still engaged, so things are going well ;)

So hobby progress! My full set of 10 Mouslings are done, and I played them in a game of Frostgrave yesterday! Frostgrave is /really/ fun, and you can basically use any fantasy miniature from any range to play it, which is great. I played against Ash, and though he technically won (the game is basically about treasure hunting, and he found more), I managed to gain more campaign experience and got way more kills than he did... so it felt more like a victory for me.

Last night I finally busted out my new Airbrush and Compressor, and put it to the test priming two Zondbots for Infinity - applying Vallejo Black, Grey and White primers in successive layers to get a shaded basecoat... and it worked beautifully. I'm working through some methods in Angel Giraldez's masterclass book... which means step 2 was covering up a lot of the white armour plates after the first round of airbrushing with Masking Fluid. This is a new way of painting for me, and I'm curious how easily the masking fluid will actually come off... only time will tell! (Later tonight, likely!)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:38 am

Oh, and the last few mouslings:

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 am

So...freaking...cute!!!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:59 pm

I need to get me some of these.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:50 pm

GIMME!!!!!!!!!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:46 am

Continuing my recent trend of painting really tiny things, I started working on my Infinity Zondbots, using techniques from Angel Giraldez' Masterclass book:

After priming, I airbrushed on dark grey, light grey, and white in a zenithal pattern, plus I hit a few spots with an extra shot of white to make sure they popped... then all the surface armour was covered with Liquid Mask, and then I airbrushed it again with black and dark grey. A bunch of edge highlighting and some freehanding later, and here I am... I still need to seal it and hit the white armour with an Oil Wash to keep it visually consistent with the rest of my Nomads.

That was Sunday/Monday night though... the last two nights were spent building furniture and unpacking, now that our Living Room / Dining Room floors are finally done.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:59 am

You know I can totally see your cake topper done in minis.... that'd be awesome! lol

and omg that little guy looks incredible tiny with details
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Guildenstern wrote:You know I can totally see your cake topper done in minis.... that'd be awesome! lol
I'm actually working on a custom piece for it... stay tuned ;)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:02 pm

A belated congrats from me as well Mike! I need to catch up to these weekly paints! Also great job on the mouselings!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes, Grats Mike! Now get married already and update your tabletop coop progress hehehehe
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:19 pm

I had a cake-topper mini that one of my gaming buddies converted/painted for my. It was pretty rad! Especially considering that it was atop a cake with camouflage frosting! :O

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:15 am

Nearly done! All I did between the last photo and now was add an oil wash, nothing too fancy... but it works!

Khankore wrote:Yes, Grats Mike! Now get married already and update your tabletop coop progress hehehehe
I'm just waiting for my new PC to arrive (ground shipping from British Columbia to Ontario takes a while) so I can start editing and rendering... I've got 4-5 videos already filmed :)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:38 am

I like the tiny Nomad symbol on his knee. That's a fantastic detail.