Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Thalric » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Those models look really interesting and the 3 small ones appear to be perfect for the Big Brawl :D

Brookgrim
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Brookgrim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Those pink horrors turned out very nice!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 am

Hobby Progress!

I threw together the 8 bases for my Dark Age Brood starter using the driftwood I collected and prepped a few months ago. All these bases came from a single piece, which I assume is birch bark; it flaked off in thin papery sheets.

Sorry it's so... yellow. My phone can't white-balance against the cutting mat very well.

Then I painted up the three Puds from the starter set, and got their bases nearly finished.. here I'm still waiting for Water Effects to dry. The Dark Age bases are recessed inside of the edge bevel, which seemed perfect for trying some kind of swamp/river basing with water effects.

And 8 hours later, still waiting for the water effects to dry. It can take up to 48 hours, but I didn't expect it would with such a small amount. I also had to add a few little drops of extra water effect, some of the pools got shallow - I'm guessing some of it was leeched into the wood.

I also started on the Brood Mandible last night.... just block highlights and drybrushing, no real blending of any sort. There's maybe 45 mins of work into him at this point.

The Dark Age Brood sculpts are.... well, they were sculpted in about 2005 and they show their age. Badly. I think they've been busy chain-smoking and popping caffeine pills. A lot of the newer Dark Age range are fantastic, but the Brood haven't had new sculpts in a long time... the Ratchet (2 of which are in the starter) are especially bad...

So that said, after finishing the starter, I'll probably jump factions until some prettier minis come out... or design my own :P
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:54 am

They look kind of fun. I didn't find a bunch of Dark Age I like, we have some momentum gathering for the game here. I'd have to go with The Prevailers perhaps
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:12 am

The recent Salt Flat Nomads releases are pretty sweet, and I enjoy the CORE and many of the Outcasts sculpts, especially the Brutes. Salt Flat Nomads must be a new faction though, because they're nowhere to be seen on the Gallery or Factions list, and their new miniatures aren't even on the store yet :P The Prevailers are pretty slick - though I can't help but see a Necron Character in the Warknight Captain ;)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Funny I was still typing 'The Salt Flat Nomads look cool and the Blood Brutes' but then I was RUDELY interrupted by work!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:45 pm

That's a superb miniature!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Love those puds!

I have issues with the fake water I use, at least in terms of how long it takes to fully cure, as well. It's probably the type I'm using (floral stuff). It does cure. Eventually. Like *days* later. And I do tend to maybe use it too thickly which def affects that.

I'd bet some of your water effect did get sucked in by the wood - I had cork do that as well. Even with a glue coverage to protect it. I guess it wasn't thick enough.

anyway that brood mandible has a really cool pose I like the expression on its (his?) face - very swamp thing.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:17 am

One more miniature finished! Didn't really go overboard with detailing, but it'll definitely be good enough for video.

Started on the next miniature as well, the Brood Hound. Because he's only got one foot on the ground, I had to hold it with my pinning vice instead of cork.

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:13 am

They look great!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks Dez :D I'm really trying to let myself paint these as fast as possible without getting stuck on the small details... but I somehow spent about an hour each on the Puds, doing 3-level highlights on their teeth... so yeah, maybe not quite as speedy as I'd like!

The Brood Hounds would be sooo fast with an airbrush, but mine is packed right now... potentially have an offer on the house coming today, fingers crossed!

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:45 am

Good luck!

drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:58 am

good luck on selling the house.
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Well the offer fell through, apparently they loved the house but decided they don't want to move to Welland in the first place... so that's that. I've got another showing tonight, however... so fingers still crossed.

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Good luck on the second showing! Too bad the first one did not work out.

And the models are really amazing.