Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 am

2015 Painted Mini Tally (Updated July 8th)

Total: 79

Eldar Bone Singer
Khorne Blood Slaughter
Reflex Servitors x3
Attunement Servitors x3
Orc Warboss
Commander Adept Nemo
Infinity Nomads x8 (4xMorlocks, Reverend Custodier, Hellcat, Wildcat, Iguana Pilot)
Chrome Marine
Malifaux Guild Death Marshal
Goldtoof's Bankin & Loanz
'Bronze Lion' Space Marines colour test
Orc Warboss' Wyvern
Changeseekers Helbrute
Nurgle Chaos Lord
Pink Horrors x4
Dark Age Brood x8 (3xPuds, Mandible, 2xBrood Hound, 2xRatchet)
Chaos Warhounds x9
Nurgle Blight King
Changeseekers Possessed x1
Reaper Bones Paladin (Needs basing)
Stormcast Eternals x13 (Need basing)
Infinity Nomads Starter: Assorted x6
Infinity Nomads Clockmaker
Reaper Mouslings x9
Infinity Nomads Zondbot

'Obtained' Mini Tally
This includes Purchases, Freebies, and any new Commissions. I'm counting Commissions because they also count on my Painted Tally, so it only seems appropriate. Minis cobbled together from bits I already own don't count, as I already had them in some form ;)

Total: 106
Death Marshals x4
Commander Adept Nemo
Nomads Starter, Assorted x6
Nomads Sin-Eater Observant
Legion Absylonia
Nurgle Blight King
Dark Age Brood Starter Set, Assorted x8
Infinity PanO Joan of Arc
Reaper Bones "Erick, Paladin Initiate"
Tzeentch Screamers x3
Age of Sigmar Starter Set, Assorted x47
The Guild's Judgement Starter Set, Assorted x6
Infinity Nomads Support (Clockmaker, Daktari, Zondbots x2): Assorted x4
Infinity Nomads Alguaciles Support box: Assorted x4
Infinity Nomads Sin Eater with HMG
Infinity Authorized Bounty Hunter on Bike
Wrath of Kings House Hadross: Assorted x15
Infinity Nomads Intruder with HMG

Painted vs Obtained: 79:106
Mini for mini, I've only painted 75% of the miniatures I've obtained... oh no, my collection is growing faster than I paint!

My 2015 started out almost immediately with a huge hobby focus; I drove to Laval, Quebec on January 2nd, and took part in an 8 hour class taught by Golden Daemon & Slayer Sword winner Hugo Matte (Ichiban Painting) there on January 3rd - and then promptly made the 8 hour drive home, arriving back around 1AM on January 4th.

I learned a fair bit from Hugo - a good amount about airbrushing and glazing (both of which I still consider myself a novice at); I also learned that we paint metallics quite similarly, and I finally know what "filtering" is (a painting technique I've used for a long time, but just kind of stumbled into independently and didn't know the name of).

The 8 hour drive home was exhausting though - the temperature was -10C in Laval, and 3C in Niagara, with precipitation the whole way, so I drove through heavy snow, light snow, driving snow, wet snow, freezing rain, slush, and regular rain all sequentially, with varying degrees of highway clearing along the way. It normally would have been about a 6.5 hour trip. Anyway, I say this because I was basically wiped out all day on the 4th, and most of the 5th as well.

I've just now back to work after my extended holiday, and I'm hoping that means I'll also be back into a routine again which includes hobby time. Right now though, my major focus is home renovation - the whole project is in its final stages now, and I want to get it done so I can *really* focus on hobby. My next home, after selling this one, is absolutely going to have a dedicated hobby space in the basement... of course, I haven't started house shopping yet, but its one of the priority items so that I can focus more on Epic Duck in the future, and get back into video production.

Actually, of the 14 people (aside from myself and Hugo) who attended his painting class, a full 4 of them still knew of me from my old painting vids, and said that my old Quick 'n Dirty videos taught them a lot. I was really touched and kind of blown away by that - I really haven't made any videos now in 3-4 years, and to have that number of people still remember them was very humbling.

Anyway, enough about that! Here's what's on my desk right now - a Khorne Blood Slaughterer for none other than MWG Dave!

Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Epic Duck Mike's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Dez » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:27 am

Very cool, I've always wanted to attend a miniature focussed painting class especially focussed on airbrushing. Unfortunately I think the only way we would have one of those around here....is probably if I taught it, hahaha. 'How to speed paint through your miniatures and spend a little time making them look good with a few tricks' :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Blood Slaughterer...it would be cool if you painted the panels like a liquid, with lots of reds-oranges-browns to represent blood flowing around...kinda like a blood filled Lava Lamp.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by qwasiman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Really looking forward to see the results!
It was really interesting to read about that trip you made, seems like you learned a lot!

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:33 pm

*ALso remembers those old videos*

Interested in seeing what you bring us this year.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:59 am

Since my last post, my hobby progress has included:
1) buying some new Super Glue
2) buying Commander Adept Nemo for next month's Painting Deathmatch Headline

That's it. Seriously. Weather, lethargy, web design clients, and some pesky Real Life took priority the last few nights. Tonight is a friend's birthday, and tomorrow morning I'll be visiting my grandma, so it might be Sunday before I get to pick up a brush again. Yikes.

I have finally been reading "Call of Cthulhu and other Weird Stories" by H.P. Lovecraft - it's a collection of many of his written works, including a lot of the short fiction he wrote for various pulp magazines of the time. Right now I'm partway through "Herbert West - Re-Animator". Not exactly hobby related - just something I've been meaning to do for a long time.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Vault

Post by Vault » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:51 pm

I'm, not sure if you're ahead of me or not at this point then; I primed two miniatures by hand last night. Although one was was a Hormagaunt that will eventually be hanging from my rear-view mirror... The other though was an HQ choice... a small one by Tyranid standards but still an HQ choice!

Lovecraft is one of my favourites; I've got a few collected works... which means I probably have a few stories more than once but it's a sacrifice that must be made. I recently picked up a collection of stories in the mythos by other authors... Which I haven't done before but when a book of stories inspired by HPL lists Arthur C. Clark and Harry Turtledove on it? I'm there.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:55 pm

I think I'm still *slightly* ahead of you then, if only because of the Blight King I mostly painted at Hugo's class ;)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:59 am

Bad News: near-zero hobby time this past weekend; spent maybe 5 minutes painting a base, that was it.

Good News: spent a few hours with Joe (yes, THAT Joe) yesterday; we replaced the drafty ancient windows in a few rooms in my home, including my painting room.

Better News: Joe and I talked quite a bit about making videos again this year. Tentative plans to do this after I set up my permanent studio in my new home (flipping the house I live in now)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 am

Woot, give Joe a dollar from me ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Those would be great; Joe was a character.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:39 am

Updates on the Blood Slaughter! I'll start with the most impressive part - I've begun freehanding details on the carapace. It's intended to look like a Daemon is literally bound into the armour:

Everything pre-assembled and pinned:

Trial-fitting and priming:

Also, I'm prototyping a card game that sort of blends Euchre and Kung-Fu... I'll have printable decks and beta rules up in the near future:

Vault

Post by Vault » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am

Looking really great, especially that freehand bit. Cardgame sounds interesting as well.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:19 pm

You know, blood slaughterers are minis I'm conflicted with, I don't know if it looks awesome or not... I love the free hand work though
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm

Oceangrave0 wrote:You know, blood slaughterers are minis I'm conflicted with, I don't know if it looks awesome or not... I love the free hand work though
Yeah, the miniature's design is a bit... wonky? But that said, it's a pseudo-commission, not for my own collection.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:28 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
Oceangrave0 wrote:You know, blood slaughterers are minis I'm conflicted with, I don't know if it looks awesome or not... I love the free hand work though
Yeah, the miniature's design is a bit... wonky? But that said, it's a pseudo-commission, not for my own collection.
I feel like it's the giant body little limbs thing
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria