Oceangrave Studios #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Oceangrave Studios #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by drsergen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:27 pm

im jealous of your day. i like the marine so far. how many layers did you red take you and what wash did you use for the shadows on his feet ?
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Oceangrave0 wrote:I kinda find it funny how we think alike yet in opposites... I was gonna do black aquilla, bone trim, but then decided to swap it in favor of a bone heavy center (The tabard going to be a sepia bone tone). :lol:
Great Minds Think Alike :D
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:29 pm

drsergen wrote:im jealous of your day. i like the marine so far. how many layers did you red take you and what wash did you use for the shadows on his feet ?
uhm... with washes and black lining 7 layers to do the red, I can do a complete diagnostic of that if ya'll want, it is hard to do a lot of but fun in small bursts.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Oceangrave0
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:34 am

Got a lot of the parchment finished on the ole guy, loving what the model is looking like at this point, only things I still need to do are the loincloth, thrusters, sword blade and basing.

I am thinking a standard dirt/grass basing for this gentleman. also I spent some time working on a dark grey sword, I can kinda make it work with a green bias to continue my ideal colors, I still think a bright to severe dark contrasting is a better idea though.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!

drsergen
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:18 am

no dont go through all that work i just wanted to know what wash is best on red
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:05 am

drsergen wrote:no dont go through all that work i just wanted to know what wash is best on red
If you want to do a quick wash over red for detailing, use a black wash like Nuln Oil, mixed with a little bit of purple wash (Druchii Violet / Leviathan Purple?). The deep purple tones will compliment the red more than straight black will. Also consider thinning the wash (use a mixing medium like Lahmian Medium rather than water so the consistency doesn't change much) so that it doesn't hit the model so hard.

It won't have the same impact as black-lining-with-7-layer-glazing, but it'll get you good quick results :)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:06 am

okay i have a question. . . . how do i get washes out of the pot onto a pallet to mix them ?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:09 am

I usually just use an old large brush, dip in it the wash, and pull out a large drop.... clean the brush, repeat with the second wash, etc.

Alternatively you can use a pipette/eyedropper if you're really picky about mixing ratios, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Oceangrave0

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:26 am

For this guy I used Carroburg Crimson mixed with some airbrush thinner, meant it didnt "stain" the base colour too much as it set. when the layers were all done I then went back with some really thinned down abaddon black to black line the segments in the armor and the trimming on the shoulder pads
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:29 am

i need to remeber that name "Carroburg Crimson" and grab some of that.

Oceangrave0

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:12 pm

THIS IS WHERE I START TODAY! This guy will be done by tonight, which kinda sucks but it has been fun and it has sparked me to doing more stuff again.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:18 pm

looking great

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:28 pm

That's looking beautiful :D Damn, now I want to paint a Space Marine.

Oh wait, I need to finish that Chrome Marine I was working on. Rejoice!

Oceangrave0

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:29 pm

MID DAY STUFF!!

Thanks ya'll I try hard on these practice minis, because I gotta make sure my standards are still high.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:37 pm

The sword is coming along nicely! The near-black colour looks pretty damn threatening.