Dez #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Dez #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Dez » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:16 pm

2014 was great, I got a lot done. Tons of Necrons, a full Skaven army, worked on my Renegade Guard and a million other projects. I got a lot done.

This year I want to make even better. Planned I have:

Lamenters Army
Renegade Guard
Finish Skaven
Finish Necrons

I've been working a lot on building the Lamenters, though I haven't been really taking pics of anything. I'm taking my time with this one, I want every model to be converted and painted with the attention a hero model would get.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Dez #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by qwasiman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:46 pm

This forum needs more Renegade guards!

Looking forward to see your progress!

Sarkastik
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Sarkastik » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:28 am

Looking forward to seeing more of your work for Steal....err... inspiration! :)
My Armies:
CSM - WIP
Tyranids - WIP

Twitter - @Sarkastic87

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:33 am

Here is a WIP of my Astorath the Grim Conversion for Lamenters. I've got the wings sorted (They are heavy, and even though pinned keep falling off). The wings are super heavy though, and the model keeps falling over. I filled the base with putty...but I'm still having issues. I might have to chip out all the putty, and maybe put some rocks in.

I may have to take the whole wing assembly apart again to give it more balance. I hate to do that, because it removes some of the dynamic quality of the model. Though I could remove some of the cork on top of the base and replace it with real rock...

Sarkastik
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Sarkastik » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:35 am

Wow, that is impressive! I can see why there would be balance issues!

I dont know if replacing some of the cork with rocks or maybe hollowing out a space for some washers would help or not...
My Armies:
CSM - WIP
Tyranids - WIP

Twitter - @Sarkastic87

qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by qwasiman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:03 am

Lovely conversion!

Looks like he´s about to smash some ork in the face!

Regarding the balance issue;

What you can do is that you carve the cork out, then put some lead in it. You can get the lead from a fishing store (Lead fishing weights) and then cut it up with a big clipper. Or go oldschool and put a coin under the base :)

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:01 pm

The fishing weights are a good idea; they're cheap and fairly hefty. Somehow though I don't think a coin would do the trick as those wings look pretty weighty.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Dez

Post by Dez » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:31 pm

I'm sitting here F5ing, watching GW's site crash as everyone wants to order Thanquol. Almost considering giving up. Almost :)

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 pm

I wouldn't have the patience for that. *sitting in a doctor's office an hour early for an appointment*
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Are you seeing this too? (I actually forgot it was ET4 release day and was just going to look at other models...)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Dez

Post by Dez » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:45 pm

I got all the way to Paypal, and when Paypal sent me back to the GW site after processing...I got the above. No charge went through....it's too much work at this point to give them my money. I'll find a copy for my iPad and give cash to my LGS.

Dez

Post by Dez » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:48 pm

Woohoo! Been doing crazy work getting 3 Deathstorm Boxes worth of BA put together. I've been particular, super careful about mold lines and construction, right down to using super fine grit sandpaper. It's coming along at a nice pace, I'll take a pic soon.

I've also been working on some bases for the Lamenters. I figure I'll go with gray/cityfight bases, they are my favorite and will let the yellow of the Lamenters pop while still letting the base tell a story. I'll probably throw a pop of color here or there.

I also built a Gandalf vs Saruman with my oldest daughter today. It was cute that she is still afraid to use superglue.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:12 am

Dez wrote:Woohoo! Been doing crazy work getting 3 Deathstorm Boxes worth of BA put together. I've been particular, super careful about mold lines and construction, right down to using super fine grit sandpaper. It's coming along at a nice pace, I'll take a pic soon.

I've also been working on some bases for the Lamenters. I figure I'll go with gray/cityfight bases, they are my favorite and will let the yellow of the Lamenters pop while still letting the base tell a story. I'll probably throw a pop of color here or there.

I also built a Gandalf vs Saruman with my oldest daughter today. It was cute that she is still afraid to use superglue.
Lamenters? When did this awesome project happen??? HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN GONE!

Can't wait to see what you do with all that blood, was debating picking up a deathstorm box myself.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Dez

Post by Dez » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:57 am

It's a project I e been wanting to do for years :)

We had a GW open near me on my birthday, and I accidentally unsold myself to buying Deathstorm. The rest is OCD history :)

Dez

Post by Dez » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:36 am

I did a lot of prep work on them tonight, including rebuild of my Astoroth conversion. I may have also found some stuff to make a cool Dante...