Qwasiman' #theweeklypaint 2015 3 gretchins done!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Qwasiman' #theweeklypaint 2015 3 gretchins done!

Post by qwasiman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Hello my dear Muppets!
Finally managed to decide on a color scheme for my orks. And better up, I´ve even finished a legal unit (woho!). I´ve batch painted the whole bunch. All I can say is that 11 miniatures, was a bit much to do at the same time.

All tough, overall i´m quite pleased with them!

Oh by the way, Vallejo Cavalry brown is my new favorite color. <3

next up, a truck and some killa kanz!
Last edited by qwasiman on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Qwasiman' #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Dez » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Proppa!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 am

They are looking great! Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming! :)
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:18 am

Those are awesome orks.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by qwasiman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Cheers guys, and thanks for the comments!

It seems like i might have my truck and the first killa kan finished tomorrow!

Sarkastik
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Sarkastik » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:30 am

Really like the orks!

What colours did you use for the skin?
My Armies:
CSM - WIP
Tyranids - WIP

Twitter - @Sarkastic87

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:24 am

Looking good! Keep it up! :D
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by qwasiman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Sarkastik wrote:Really like the orks!

Cheers m8, i appreciate it a lot!

Its actually quite simple:

1. Add a Layer of warboss green over a black undercoat that has been drybrushed with a light brown (the brown helps with the coverage, in this case, i used ochre brown from vallejo, but you could also use zandri dust)

2. Next, wash the skin with Biel-tan Green.

3. Apply warboss green to the raised areas, leaving the wash in the recesses.

4. Apply skarsnik green to the raised parts , leaving some of the previous warboss green showing. (This isn´t really a highlight, more like a layer, but leaving some of the previous color showing.)

5. glaze the skin with waywatcher green, this really helps to blend the layers togheter and adds a great finish.

6. (Optional) glaze with bloodletter on the bottom lip.

This method is actually very quick for painting ork boys fast, because you only need one layer of each step to get a good coverage.

I also spray my models with Purity Seal Satin Spray for two reasons:

1. It protect the models.

2. It adds harmony to the model by "binding" all the colours togheter with the same finish.

qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by qwasiman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Got some new WIPs!

Apparently i got home a little bit later from work that i had planned. So no finished models today, only WIPs!

Killa kan, needs some weathering, add yellow glaze on armor (and ofc basing)

Truck, the bronze areas are left to fix, weathering, gunner and driver, the bandages around the frame, the black areas, tires and some touch ups.

I hope i can get some more work done tomorrow!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Looking good, I'd like to see some more blocking out with black to break up the yellow on the Kan. But it's wip :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Sarkastik
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Sarkastik » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:47 am

qwasiman wrote:

1. Add a Layer of warboss green over a black undercoat that has been drybrushed with a light brown (the brown helps with the coverage, in this case, i used ochre brown from vallejo, but you could also use zandri dust)

4. Apply skarsnik green to the raised parts , leaving some of the previous warboss green showing. (This isn´t really a highlight, more like a layer, but leaving some of the previous color showing.)

5. glaze the skin with waywatcher green, this really helps to blend the layers togheter and adds a great finish.

This method is actually very quick for painting ork boys fast, because you only need one layer of each step to get a good coverage.

2. It adds harmony to the model by "binding" all the colours togheter with the same finish.
Thanks! Im definitely going to try this!

Love how clean the yellow is!
My Armies:
CSM - WIP
Tyranids - WIP

Twitter - @Sarkastic87

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:57 pm

Those orks look amazing! I will be keeping an eye on this thread!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Orks looking good. Also nice job on that bloody saw thus far. Gores tricky to paint... too tricky for me anyway.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by qwasiman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:29 am

Sarkastik wrote:
qwasiman wrote:

Thanks! Im definitely going to try this!

Love how clean the yellow is!
Always happy to help someone with painting! :D
Arnathos wrote:Those orks look amazing! I will be keeping an eye on this thread!
I appreciate your support m8!
Vault wrote:Orks looking good. Also nice job on that bloody saw thus far. Gores tricky to paint... too tricky for me anyway.
Acutally, i also stuggled with blood before, both with getting a good color and how to apply it. For the blood on the saw, i did use GW "Blood for the blood god". It gives a nice finish of fresh blood. If you want the effect of dried blood, you can actually mix it with some typhoon corrosion and then use matt varnish over it. The typhoon corrosion adds a little bit of brown color and adds texture (Always lovely to have some unknown gritty bits from some unfortunate victim!)

When it comes to applying it, its quite simple. Take an old brush, and cut of the bristles, so you get half of the length left. Congratulation, You just made a a stippling brush! Now you just add some paint to it, and dab it on to the area, and do some light circular motions here and there. Furthermore if you really want to go for a gory look, you can also add blood splatter to the the rest of the model. For this, you simply load the brush with paint again, and the use a flicking motion with your thumb towards you model.

You just have to use coomon sense and some imagination when you apply it. For example, what would happen if a 9 feet tall orc, wearing a huge axe, would smash it into a space marines chest/face? Well, it wouldn´t be pretty i tell ya! :lol:
Last edited by qwasiman on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

qwasiman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by qwasiman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:36 am

Ouff how horrible, no painting was made yesterday. But now i have a whole free weekend and i promise you, Thy shall recive the updates!