Nappen's Weekly Paint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Nappen's Weekly Paint 2015

Post by Dez » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:22 pm

It is a textured paint, but is more grey than anything else. They do make a Brown and Sand color, and I've painted right over it. The texture and price are perfect :)

http://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Brown-Ear ... RRPX2W1014
http://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Desert-Sa ... RRPX2W1014
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:02 am

Thanks, was thinking more of the light grey kind of concrete. but maybe desert sand would work.

I primed the green rods in route to making them orange last night before I fell asleep at around 9. Long, long week this week.

also printed up some barrels for scatter terrain :) have not cleaned them up yet. let it run overnight as it was projected to take about 5 hours. How long it took....don't know.

ImageImage

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:15 pm

No painting today, but went to see star wars. Kids and I loved it, like being back in the first movie.

Did print some stuff. another set of barrels, and can you guess what the next one is going to be...I will take a pic when it finishes.

ImageImage

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:57 pm

The dark earth dries really a lot lighter than it looks like it would. The sand is very much an off white. The brown earth (one of my faves) is the one I used in most of my bases for terrain that I've posted here.

Really like the vallejo texture paints (it's under gel or some such on amazon etc). They don't require priming really - well maybe I should anyway but I am lazy - and they take wash really really well. Best things I've ever bought really.

The sand colour is pretty much like iraqi sand or maybe ushabti bone (think it might be a bit lighter than that one tho). Brown earth is a golden brown, more like xv-88 base. The dark earth is more grey, especially when it dries, not sure what colour I'd associate it with except maybe a medium to light grey.

Anyway, I have no idea what that last thing's going to be - um, tank trap?! love those barrels btw-how much do the materials tend to run you for your printer for something like that?
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:00 pm

The last photo looks like legs on a base.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:40 pm

It is chicken marine....too bad the beak didn't print.

A roll of 1KG of PLA runs around 22 bucks on amazon. I just picked some up on ebay for 19 and will see how that goes. lasts a pretty long time. I have been printing like crazy the last couple of days and have not used half.

really better for terrain. models don't come out so hot. would rather just get the real thing. but for terrain that can look a little rough, it is great fun.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:01 am

Merry Christmas everyone. Early here and the family is not up. printed up something last night, and printing a large teleport platform now, but will take like 15 hours or something. I have an idea for a scenario with teleporters in mind. tank traps are with and without flash and I didn't really clean them up much...figure they are scatter terrain in a war zone, so who cares :)

Painted up the metal tank traps last night while watching a bit of TV. And finally got to Star Wars. Dez is right. felt like watching the first on again...in a good way. Waited a long time for that.

ImageImageImage

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:16 am

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Merry Christmas!

Tank traps look *great* and the teleporter thing looks interesting!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:56 am

took all day but the teleporter is printed so a shot of the teleporter and the receiving station with a model for size comparison. I may just print up the disk from the middle of the teleporter as receiving stations. Not sure yet.

Still need to sand the arms on the teleport station, but am pretty happy with how it turned out.

ImageImageImageImage

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:54 pm

today, I mostly cleaned around the house, worked on the garage and the computer room and then started labeling the shelves in the game room. I always forget what is what in which bag. Bins are easier, but would rather see them from across the room and then the shelves with foam needed labels. Am about half way done. went through the IG so know what is in that bin now. just the Tau left to go. and the terrain shelf.

I did print three pieces to be teleport receiving pads. Took the center piece from the teleporter from thingiverse and printed it three times. Here are two. Will probably still print a couple more of the other as well, but put the printer away while cleaning up.

Last, I found a bag on sale for 50% off and I just had to get it for my daughters peace marines...I couldn't help it.

I did prime some barrels, but that was about all the painting :)

ImageImageImage

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Holy moly.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:05 am

I am old and use bartertown and ebay :)

I also troll the online game store sales.

you should see Dez's bit closest.

My son and I played x-wing last night and had a blast, until I flew the millennium falcon off the board by about an inch. He then just crushed me.

Painted a little on my last two chaos spawn. Having a hard time getting to the monoliths...probably because that means a couple hundred bases are close behind...

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:53 am

Nappen wrote:I am old and use bartertown and ebay :)

I also troll the online game store sales.

you should see Dez's bit closest..
I am pretty sure Dez's bit closest is a *farmer's holy grail.

Edit: gamers... Autocorrect is Werid.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)