Nappen's Weekly Paint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Nappen's Weekly Paint 2015

Post by Nappen » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:44 am

prolly cheaper to just get a new computer....did an update last night...and wouldn't restart again. Each time I have does system restore back a while and it works. could there be an update doing it? Last restore had the date as Jan 1 2008 :)

printed up a long list of things to try. hope it is something simple.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:34 pm

havne't read whole page, so excuse if you have done this, have you tried unseating and reseating the ram? *Make sure you are grounded*! If that doesn't work, I'd suggest restarting the computer with only one or two at a time, you may have a bad stick. It happens. Sometimes swapping their slots helps. Sometimes they're just not making contact fully. Blow out the case if you haven't already too.

if it's your HD crashing you may just need to reformat. Or a new HD, they get old. They can get corrupt/bad sectors and have issues with power surges (which is what tends to happen here, the power in GA is terrible tbh, where we are). Reformat can help with software issues, a new HD obvsiouly with hardware.

Try to find the error logs, in the system file, that may give you an inkling of where it's crashing and why.

Video drivers are often a culprit for us (we game a lot).

Anyway, will try to read this more thoroughly when I'm not fixin to run out the door! Good luck hon hate computer issues =/
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Seems to be fixed. I pulled down a couple of "what to do when your computer won't start lists from the web. Very similar to what Guildenstern said with a few additions. Anyway, opened it up. Not very dusty inside but cleaned what was there. The next step on both lists was to reseat the memory cards. I did the first one, tried to start it nothing. Second one and started right up. Actually running craploads faster than it was too. It's late, so I closed it up. Ran the memory check which found no errors and now I am off to bed.

When I get a little time, I will probably reseat the other memory card and run through all the other connections as well. But for now...hopeful it is fixed.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:28 pm

Interesting, sounds like it might be bad memory even though the scan didn't pick it up. Very similar to old age :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

OverlordRick
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by OverlordRick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:12 pm

Glad to hear that (so far) everything has worked out well! Smart call on your part to dig deeper and find the root of the problem / double check to make sure everything is tip top shape.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:27 am

I am figuring with the move overseas, the kids bumping and dropping etc maybe it just came a little unseated.

No painting last night. late from work, the telecom in the evening, but the kids and I got through half a game of Mansions of Madness. My oldest is home from college so we are taking advantage of the time.

Printed up three tank traps last night, too. I finally got my 3D printer back out...going to do a couple more in different styles. Not sure how to paint a concrete look? Any thoughts. Not for these, they will be metal, but the ones I am printing today will be concrete barriers.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:21 am

I'm really interested in how your traps may look once they are painted! Do they have to be sanded first?

For the concrete look... perhaps covering them in backing powder might work? That's what I use (after my brother suggested it to me) if I want to get a texture not as rough as sand. I used it on the following mini to make it look like it's standing on a street rather than soil. It gives a much subtler texture. With a grey wash rather than a black one it might work as concrete.
[+] Expand
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:33 am

Thanks for the baking soda idea. I am thinking a light grey and dry brush with lighter greys then a wash, maybe?

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:25 am

It's a little bit of a pain to work with, but I use spackle for concrete texturing.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:31 pm

I use Valkejo texture stuff...comes in a big pot. Currently using Dark Earth which looks like concrete right out of the pot.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Dark earth? Can't find it, who makes it?

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Ah, anyone know similiar GW or reaper color?

TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:58 pm

I took a look at amazon and did a little googling. That Vellejo dark earth looks very similar to the Stirland Mud GW texture paint. The base color for that is Rhinox Hide I believe if you wanted to mix up some texture yourself.
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!