GB:57 Fire - burnt out - Complete

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

GB:57 Fire - burnt out - Complete

Post by bugbait_nz » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Wanted to make a burnt out building for ages, using Borderlands 1 Old Haven as inspiration, this will fit in with this table, not many more buildings to make in this theme before I go onto another style.

This will be used for Infinity, wondering if this is going to far? no hexes AND damaged, will this get me ostracised??

Started with two long strips of 5mm foamboard, rabbet joints on the corners is fast and easy.

Last edited by bugbait_nz on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

FDARaptor
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: GB:57 Fire - burnt out

Post by FDARaptor » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:31 am

Although I hate the Borderlands games, its a really cool idea.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 am

I'll be watching this one closely, and hope, if I submit, to come in second! ;)
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:39 am

@ FD, I guess Borderlands is simplistic, that's why I like it!

@P Im not confident that I will finish this in time, so go for the win!

Making 2 air con vents, using a MDF shape and wrapping heavy paper and glue stick. craft crimper to make the vent (will look like a vent went I paint the undersides of each ridge black)
Small inner vent would usually have ali fly screen mesh but I will go for a burnt out/gutted look.

drickie
Now we're getting somewhere...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by drickie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:26 pm

How do you cut the curves?

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by bugbait_nz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:55 am

@d, I have a #11 scalpel blade very sharp and pointy for the curves, used with an up and down sawing motion, moved very slowly forwards while cutting. The inside AC vents used a leather hole punch in each corner.

All of the exposed foam is covered with breakfast cereal card and PVA glue (so the spray primer does not melt it)
Outer AC units are on, inside bits need some damaged corrugated card and fly screen mesh to finish them off.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by bugbait_nz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:17 am

Inside AC vents done

Ali can used to make shelving
Cardboard lockers, wire chairs.

The idea being that only the metal bits survived the fire, rubble on floor next.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:31 am

The wire chairs are brilliant.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by bugbait_nz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:29 am

Thanks P

Painting (least fun part of terrain making)

Grey spray undercoat - holts automotive, because it just works.

Heavy dry brush of light matt grey, result is not even coverage = patchy = desired effect.

Washed with 3-4 layers of colour

Artists sponge and dark grey dabbed on for weathering

Smoke damage dry brush of very dark grey and then matt black

End result after a dirty green/brown/black wash over everything

Interior - very dark matt grey base with artist sponge of light grey and finally matt black.

Rubble made with powdered plaster poured into a Chinese takeaway lid to make a thin layer that can be smashed when set(the next day) Not happy with the look, needs more work, possibly smaller bits? two different colours to represent the burn inside ceiling and not burnt topside.

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: GB:57 Fire - burnt out - Complete

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:11 pm

good gravy. how do you get such nice clean cuts on your foamboard?
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by bugbait_nz » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:27 am

Need a really sharp knife to cut foamboard, I use a 9mm snap off blade, you can feel the blade drag when its not sharp = time for a new one, it takes about 4 passes to cut through, first cut just scribes the surface for the blade to follow on the next cuts, cutting board helps keep the blades going longer.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Peregrin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:20 pm

Great looking build. Will fit well with your existing stuff, and looks good with the Auxbot in there.

Morkbitz
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Morkbitz » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:37 pm

Wow very clean!

Return to “Group Build 57”