Proxying

Tombstone Haymaker
MiniWarGaming Regular

Proxying

Post by Tombstone Haymaker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:23 pm

What's the consensus on proxying at the club? I know the people I play in friendly games don't have an issue with it, but what about tournaments?

Specifically Dante/ The Sanguinor, I really dislike the sculpt of the Sanguinor and to be honest think there's not really a difference between Dante and the guard with the axe when he's got an infernus pistol.

Thanks
68 Posts in 3 years.....

........I've got to slow down so I don't get banned for spamming.

SatireSphere
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Proxying

Post by SatireSphere » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:14 pm

There's a difference between what you're doing and the reasons you do it compared to someone who is actually doing what is referred to as proxying.

Using an alternative mode (that has all the same equipment and looks similar enough) because you dislike the look of the official one is totally fine by the warhammer 40k rules and as long as your opponent is aware of what you have in your list and there's no deception you should be fine.

Proxying for example would be to use a squad of gaunts to represent your devastators because you don't own the models. That's different and some people take objection to it. Really depends on the person.

Michaeldehoog
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Michaeldehoog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Proz is something does all the time, because we are poor and can't afford another 2000 point army of something esle. but it was an agreement we all agreed to, and as long as the base of the unit is the same. so not using Dwalfs to so a unit of calvery. or a group of men for a warmashine, as long as it is close.

In a terminment things would be different as they have the WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) rule. meaning if you don't have a man with a flamer then that squad does not have a flamer.

As far as not liking how people look, you could make your own. get a man that looks something like it, (games workshop product as they will not take it well if you bring another copanies thing to thier tuny.) convert him so it looks like it then paint him like it. you can change what you don't like and say that is your model of that said person.

Joe
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.

Post by Joe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:12 pm

I think as long as it is close, not too many people at MWG seem to mind. The instance you described sounds more than fine to me... so long as you aren't running both in your list and using the same model for both... even so, if they were painted differently that would probably be cool.

But on a side note. I do have a personal rule for Proxying... if you must proxy something (forgot to bring the models from home) or something silly like that, you must proxy with the most inappropriate thing you can find, that is the approximate size.

For instance, I played a game against opo, and he proxied a Vendetta with a stuffed whale (in a GW store no less... the man has watermellons I tell you). Playing a game against Mike, I forgot my StormGuardians so I used packing peanuts... they actually did better in combat. And soon, I have a video from a game in the summer where I used a proxy for War Walkers because I forgot to bring mine... although the proxy was oddly appropriate... but still good.
If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits...
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+