Microsoft buys Minecraft for 2.5 beeeellion dollars

For those on the MWG Minecraft Server to have a place to chat, set up events, and advertise their shops.
Vassago42
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Microsoft buys Minecraft for 2.5 beeeellion dollars

Post by Vassago42 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:22 am

Microsoft buys Mojang for 2.5 beeellion dollars. This includes Minecraft.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this? Good/Bad for Minecrafts future? Will you keep playing? Etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/12-reasons-w ... 64724.html
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~

nakchak
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Microsoft buys Minecraft for 2.5 beeeellion dollars

Post by nakchak » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:57 am

Well its good for mojang, they no longer have to try and come up with as remotely successful as minecraft, as frankly what ever they release afterwards would not meet the expectations people have for it. Its not like a minecraft sequel would offer much in terms of originality over a world building sandbox other than death matches or a contrived story mode or something similar. In truth the only sort of sequels i could see Minecraft recieving would be like sims expansions, with a sequel being used to launch a new game engine, but what would that engine offer? 'blockier blocks'?

for MS i think its a bad move, should have bought Mojang a year or two ago, whilst the bubble was rising, not when its past peak minecraft. I suspect Mojang were bought for the userbase, not the game, i.e. for MS to market to and possibly herd into using the xbox live store for in game purchases and expansion packs. Also they probably want a slice of the minecraft merchandising pie, which probably brings in more revenue than the game it self does. I think MS realised closing xbox studios was a bad idea and are now desperately trying to buy them selves a new bungie type dev studio, it could be that the other projects that Mojang were working on will become XBone/Windows exclusives, scrolls for example could work pretty well on a tablet or smart phone, so make it a winphone and surface exclusive. Ultimatly i think in a few years time it will be seen as a bad investment, and more likely or not Notch will have started a new company doing something "innovative". "web 3.0" with "AR" with enough capital to be able to make it seem like a sucess even if it isnt....
Kill the orcs, Slay the orcs, Destroy the Orcs!

FDARaptor
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by FDARaptor » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:07 am

I don't see it being bad at all. Microsoft will obviously make up the revenue.

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by rollplayinggamer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Vassago42 wrote:Microsoft buys Mojang for 2.5 beeellion dollars. This includes Minecraft.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this? Good/Bad for Minecrafts future? Will you keep playing? Etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/12-reasons-w ... 64724.html
I'm worried about scrolls honestly, I think mine craft's future is looking pretty good. But scrolls and cobalt may get scrapped, Because well. They just aren't that popular.
40k armies:
'Nids Hive Fleet Mantis 2000+ pts
Ork Goffs / Orks 1700+ pts
Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company 600+ pts

Vichyssoise
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Vichyssoise » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Honestly I think its too early to tell. I'm worried for the folks out there who make a living making MC vids....

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by rollplayinggamer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Vichyssoise wrote:Honestly I think its too early to tell. I'm worried for the folks out there who make a living making MC vids....
People who make livings off of minecraft videos will be fine. Microsoft would be
if they made it difficult for you tubers to make minecraft videos. It would kill consumer confidence in the microsoft brand.
40k armies:
'Nids Hive Fleet Mantis 2000+ pts
Ork Goffs / Orks 1700+ pts
Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company 600+ pts

nakchak
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by nakchak » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Minecraft is not why ms bought mojang, its the user base that they can force onto xbox live, potentially they are interested in new games and replacing xbox studios with mojang, but really its all about the user base, as minecrafts playbase has a large amount of kids under 12, if you can get them onto xbox live that's one over play station network...

Also if ms release office 365 and a keyboard for the xbone and the kid goes to a school that uses the ms education system, then the xbone becomes a homework device :evil: As you can access school email and OneDrive whilst split screening word and Minecraft or halo :wink:
Kill the orcs, Slay the orcs, Destroy the Orcs!