Thief on the server

For those on the MWG Minecraft Server to have a place to chat, set up events, and advertise their shops.
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Thief on the server

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 am

I sent this out as an email a minute ago:

Hello everybody,

I am sad to announce that we definitely have a thief on our server. All of my diamonds (over 100) have gone missing, as well as 8 diamonds in the chest outside my house in the village.

I know this is not a glitch.

Unfortunately I have to say that unless I find out who did this, this could end up ruining the whole thing for me. I can't stand the idea of having thieves or people who just want to destroy things on our server.

If the one responsible does not come forward, then I will probably be forced to remove anybody I do not fully trust. There is a short list of players that I can say I fully trust (i.e. those that have contributed a lot, and that I have had a lot of interaction with).

If you are responsible, or if you know who is responsible, please tell me ASAP.

Either way please reply by emailing me at matthew@miniwargaming.com, and please give me reason to believe it wasn't you.

Matthew

SkragaDaBoss
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Thief on the server

Post by SkragaDaBoss » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Could this be the same person who stole my armour?
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas

Orks (Goffs)- 2000 points
Dark Angels (5th Company)- 1750
Chaos Space Marines (Death Guard)- 1000
Dark Eldar (Kabal of the Eternal Ice)- Coming soon...

scarboroughrj
Silver Vault Member

Post by scarboroughrj » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Is there a way we can setup logging on the server to attempt to catch this person? I have not noticed anything on my side missing but I don't have a lot of high end items either, the Hobbit Hole is rather empty still:(
Mammer244 :D
Black Templars
Necrons

Mammer244's Youtube
MWG Minecraft Servers FB

ChaosX
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by ChaosX » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:08 pm

This is sad news.

All I can say here is I would not take anything from someone elses chest. As a new person to the server im sure the new people are getting the closer look here. I've only mined about 12 diamonds so far and made a pick axe.

I believe there are ways to see peoples inventory if they have not hid them.

I just found this.

"Find the playername.dat file of the specific player. Then open that with a file editor such as invedit. Hope that helped! "

-Zagarot

ChaosX
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by ChaosX » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:24 am

Well I tried to login tonight and can't get in. I assume new players are no longer white listed. Hopefully inventories can be checked and we can be cleared.

-Zagarot

Vassago42
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 am

Have you considered using plugins like Lock Chest? essentially you place a sign with your name on it on your chest, and it prevents people from accessing or destroying chests to get at their contents. TnT and Creepers cannot destroy the chests either.

If you dont already know, there are Xray packs/plugins that allow players to see through non mineral blocks so they can see all the minerals and mine right to them without having to search as they normally would.

These are issues I had to resolve on my servers with bukkit plugins. It really ruins the vanilla experience.

I havent had a chance to get onto the server yet. still trying to resolve my computers video card problem. I bought a new card for it after the last one crashed but now it wont boot. So, still troubleshooting that.
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~

Slartibartfast2

Post by Slartibartfast2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:57 am

Our thief seems to have a sense of humor - or they needed a couple ladders. Whoever it is took three pieces of ladder off the middle of the ladder run to my base. It's in a tunnel in the nether so no creeper or ghast possible.

Annoying. Had to go back and craft three pieces of ladder to get home.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:44 am

Vassago42 wrote:Have you considered using plugins like Lock Chest? essentially you place a sign with your name on it on your chest, and it prevents people from accessing or destroying chests to get at their contents. TnT and Creepers cannot destroy the chests either.
I'm with Vass, if you have a thief use Lock Chest, we had it on our last server and it was pretty effective, its either that or hide your chests behind redstone torch activated secret doors and such that only you can find. Or do the cool thing and build your entire base beneath the landscape, with one of them 2x2 completely hidden doors, that way, people tend to not find your base ever, unless they are tunneling.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Redvig

Post by Redvig » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:19 pm

I love making those doors xD Oh so sneaky. On a Tekkit Server I littered the map with secret bunkers linked with teleporters and just appeared in peoples homes from no where, most enjoyable
Red 'uns go Fasta!

SkragaDaBoss
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by SkragaDaBoss » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:26 pm

I've lost half a stack of iron. :(

Hyp3roptic

Post by Hyp3roptic » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 am

We still have a thief on the server.

Just logged on today to find a stack of mossy brick, some note blocks and some red stone missing from my chests in the town.

Needless to say I'm not happy, not only has this ruined a possible video i had planned but i was already short on resources to begin with.

I forgave the first time stuff was taken from me, but this time has made me really annoyed. >=[

SkragaDaBoss
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by SkragaDaBoss » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Another load of iron had gone missing. This time they didn't even bother covering their tracks. Half my house had been dug up, and my secret entrance destroyed. This is REALLY starting to annoy me.

destuctir
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by destuctir » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 pm

i have retracted my comment ntil i have had a very long look, the items werent worth enough to jump up and complain about.
Last edited by destuctir on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blyro
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Blyro » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:49 pm

I think that because before some things went missing now people are becoming slightly more paranoid.. I know this because I am! I think someone has stolen something and I then find it after :) Be sure to have a good look around before we all jump to conclusions - I would be hard pressed to point a finger of blame at any individual on the server. Except Sham.. that guy is just shifty *shivers*
Dornt dorp dat dakka dakka

SkragaDaBoss
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by SkragaDaBoss » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:45 am

My diamond pick recently went missing.