GB53: (Shattered Administratum) [completed]

Warboss_Waaazag
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

GB53: (Shattered Administratum) [completed]

Post by Warboss_Waaazag » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:14 pm

I'll be finishing this finally:
I started this ages ago and now I'm using this build-off as an excuse to finally finish it.
Last edited by Warboss_Waaazag on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I build terrain and sell it. Check out my Ebay store.
Check out my terrain blog on dakkadakka

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: GB 53 Build (Shattered Administratum)

Post by tinker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Looks promising. What did you use for the gravel on the base?

Warboss_Waaazag
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Warboss_Waaazag » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:12 am

It's a couple of layers. The first is irregular chunks of Styrofoam. Then I covered the whole base with sand-textured acrylic gel. When that dried I used craft and coarse texture sand. Then on top of that is a mix of aquarium gravel and pulverized walnut shell. Mixed in here and there are a few odds and ends like cardboard, random textured plasticard, and plastic model bits. I typically use 2 types of fine/craft sand, 2 or 3 types of fine/coarse gravel, the pulverized walnut shells, aquarium gravel, textured gel, bits-box debris, and miniature bricks. Occasionally I use broken coffee stirrer sticks to mimic broken structural supports or floor boards. Between 2 and 5 layers of debris get glued in place to build up the ruin and also to give it weight.

Warboss_Waaazag
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Warboss_Waaazag » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:54 am

I started gluing some details into the rubble.
Never content with as-is, I whittled this chunk of terrain down until it was suitably damaged:
Test fitting:
This piece was put here so that my Barry Ork would not roll off the terrain when placed.
Every little white rectangular brick you see in the next few photos was manually placed.
Next layer will be sealer/basecoat. Pics up soon.
Thanks for looking!

Warboss_Waaazag
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Warboss_Waaazag » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:57 pm

I generally beat up a piece of low wall until it was battered enough for my tastes.

Even did way too much work on the side I eventually glued face down on the ruin's base, but that's just how I roll.
Once I picked a spot for it, I glued it down and touched it up with more rubble. I want to add more debris around it, but I also wanted to seal/base coat this monster, so I mixed a 50/50/50 batch of glue/black craft paint/water (with probably way too much water) and slathered some on to the whole piece. I took these pictures when the whole thing was still wet and glossy. Where the seal is pooled it will shrink as the water in the mix evaporates. After this layer dries I'll need to put another coat of black/glue with a lot less water next time. I just like to be thorough.
Barry Ork inspects my work:

More progress pictures after this layer dries. Thanks for looking!

Warboss_Waaazag
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Warboss_Waaazag » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:34 am

I sealed it again and then drybrushed the whole thing with a dark grey.
Then base coated the crater inside the ruin in brown (technically I base coated it in rusty red first and then after deciding I didn't like the way that looked, covered most of it up with brown).
Then I layered on another grey (a mid-tone) over the grey areas and a couple of shades of brown over the brown, mostly by mixing the original color with the rusty red and a bone-like shade of grey. Then I added some spot washes in black and dark brown, picked out a few individual stones (probably about 50) that had been covered by the brown in the original drybrush grey color and weathered them with a black/brown wash. Then I drybrushed the whole thing in white and got started on the walls. The walls were base coated black and then loosely block highlighted in a 50/50 mix of a color called plum (which is a kind of dull magenta) and black. Then the exterior walls were streaked with white and red lines to create the basis for the black marble that all my "Administratum" pieces get. The interior walls were then stippled with different colors for each floor. I start with the darkest color and gradually lighten it. The bottom floor went from dark pink to light pink with the help of bone and the second floor went from midnight purple to lighter purple with the help of a lemony yellow. I still have yet to decide on a color for the top floor, but I'm probably going to go with a pale green or some such. This what all of that effort turned out.
There is a whole lot of color yet to add to this piece, but I'm glad it's coming along. Thanks for looking. Have a great day!

Warboss_Waaazag
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Warboss_Waaazag » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:51 pm

And then I went crazy applying washes!
Interior walls got some individual attention as well. First a blue wash.
Then a rust wash.
And then a white wash.
Around the same time that I did the rust wash on the walls, I also applied a rust wash to the base in all the places I imagined there would be buried metal bits in the rubble.
I still think the exterior wall needs one more coat of heavy black wash.

I still have a few more details to paint on, mostly on the exterior of that big wall. I'm so close to done, though. SO CLOSE!

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by tinker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Looking good so far! Remember you need to go back to your original post and add the word "complete" to the title after you post your final photos.

Warboss_Waaazag
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Warboss_Waaazag » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:09 am

Those photos will have to wait until tomorrow. I got in real late and I'm posting this mostly as a place holder.

Warboss_Waaazag
Bronze Vault Member

Re: GB53: (Shattered Administratum) [completed]

Post by Warboss_Waaazag » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm

tada!

Thanks for bearing with me!

Return to “Group Build 53”