Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:16 am

I didn't get much paint on my October models (bad Mike!) - I think I've just accepted that I won't have them done to a level I'm happy with in the next 2-3 days. Sorry to those whose challenges I accepted :/

I did, however, get some more sculpting done on the Dwarf Engineer:

I need to start sculpting his shoulders and backpack next... that's going to be a bit of a challenge for sure. I can handle organic shapes no problem, but more engineered, mechanical parts I have trouble sculpting.

I might use some Space Marine shoulders for the base shape and just completely sculpt over them... that doesn't feel too much like cheating :P
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32 am

More progress on the Dwarf Engineer!

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:48 pm

I wish I could sculpt

looks great.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:24 am

So I've put finishing the Dwarf Engineer on hold for a few days because I've got a pretty serious chest cold. For some reason, it impacts my ability to sculpt, but I can still paint... maybe I'm afraid to handle sharp sculpting tools when I'm coughing so much :P

Yesterday I also started batch-painting the Chaos Cultists from the same set. I basically started feeling ridiculous that I've had these for well over a year and had only painted one model so far. I literally have hundreds of unpainted or partially painted models, and I need to start knocking that number down somewhere! I'm only painting these to a Tabletop Standard - well, the closest thing to Tabletop Standard that I'm personally able to accept. They're already basecoated with 6-7 colours, and I'll be adding at least one more before I wash them. I'm not going to spend much, if any, time on highlights and detailing though.

I also finished another model, but I just realized that there's a secret project on my table in the background, so I can't post the photo here yet!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:38 am

Still shaking off this stupid flu, I didn't have much viable painting time last night. Still, I finished the last basecoat (black shoe soles, mostly) and washed all the DV Cultists:

Here's the sad part: upon completing these models (probably tomorrow night), in pure numbers, I'll have painted almost as many models this week than I have year-to-date.

That is just pure numbers though, a few Tabletop Quality cultists don't compare to a 70-hour Titan or 20-hour Orc Giant. Still, this is going to be the largest bite out of my 400-or-so-unpainted-models I've made in a LONG time.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 am

Dark Vengeance Cultists are DONE! They're not done to any extreme level of detail - I think I completed all 20 minis in 8ish hours - but given that they're just a horde of followers, I think that's pretty acceptable, even for me.

Not every model needs to be practice for a Golden Daemon, right? :)

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 am

Funny how your "acceptable" is what most of us would be very excited about :)

They look pretty darn good. Will we see them in a batrep any time soon?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:27 am

I'm not sure - I have a lot of CSM still on sprue, plus the rest of the DV Starter - but it's not exactly a balanced force! I've probably just going to focus on painting my massive backlog of minis for a while, and then I'll worry about BatReps ;)

Unless I make them at MWG, I won't be filming any battles at home until after I move, which could be spring next year.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:57 am

Yep, remember your necron bat reps a while back. You still have them?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Sure do - and they're also in the "mostly unpainted" category ;)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:48 am

Started painting the DV Tac Marines last night. I started with Army Painter Alien Purple primer, then added a zenithal highlight with my airbrush using Vallejo Game Colour Squid Pink.

I was then going to wash them with a purple wash, only to find out I don't have any left (since this is the cornerstone of my Lightning technique for my 'Crons, this is a problem!). Since this squad doesn't need to perfectly match anything I've already painted, I went ahead and mixed up a wash from Reaper Purple Ink, with Vallejo Glaze Medium and Vallejo Matte Varnish, a touch of Tamiya X-20A Thinner, and a little bit of GW Nuln Oil to make the shadows deeper.

Sadly, true inks take a lot longer to dry than washes, so even a few hours later when I went to start detailing the models, there were still spots of ink drying, so I didn't get any further than this. I started working on a secret project (it's an Action Figure repaint, but I can't reveal *what* yet) to kill the time.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:19 am

That is pretty much how I did my pink horrors :)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Nappen wrote:That is pretty much how I did my pink horrors :)
Nice! I could see this method working really well for them. I'm not going too over-the-top on the detail on these models, just something along the same lines as the Cultists. Primarily, a lot of gold trim, and some green accents.

Also realized I forgot to drill out the bolter muzzles, so I guess that's on the agenda tonight.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 am

A bit more progress. I went straight over the pink/purple with the silver metallic without first doing a gray basecoat - this turned out to be a bad idea, because this step took forever. Sometimes when you cut too many corners, you just end up going around in circles.

Left to do:
- add metallic gold to the tan-based areas
- paint purity seal parchment a bone colour
- black wash on the silver metallics
- amber wash on the gold metallics
- scribble on the parchment
- plasma coil detailing / eye highlights
- sergeant's head
- flocking & base rims

Some of those are pretty quick steps - purity seals will probably take 10 minutes for the whole group, base rims even less - but I'm probably still looking at 3 or 4 hours until I'm done, if I'm being realistic. I don't do low detail well ;)

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2014”