Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Yeah, but it was never supposed to be there in the first place ;) If I were adding more detail back to them, I'd consider it for sure. Kept them to a time limit though.

Incidentally, painting 4 simultaneously was no faster than painting a single model; if anything, it actually took longer because I found doing the same step over and over to be rather dull. It seems I might speedpaint better by painting one model at a time rather than batch painting, which is very counter-intuitive.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:34 am

Started on the Dark Vengeance librarian last night. I'm actually using Elf Skintone for the extreme highlights, and Charred Brown for the deep shadows. Using complementary colours as opposed to straight-up shade variance is something I really need to do more often.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Continued working on the DV Librarian a bit over the weekend, and had one screaming thought in my head the whole time:

WHY THE BLEEP DID I ASSEMBLE THIS ALREADY?

Seriously... I mean, it was well over a year ago when I assembled it... but really, it's just making painting a giant pain in the butt. I think I was originally planning to go just for a Tabletop quality paint job... but that's clearly not where I'm going with it now.

To add some distraction, I've got something I *really* want to try sculpting tonight... which means good bye painting time for at least an evening... or well, in bursts while Green Stuff cures.

Muttonstashe
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Muttonstashe » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
WHY THE BLEEP DID I ASSEMBLE THIS ALREADY?
My thoughts exactly.
Dwarfs: 2000 Points, 1/2 painted
Dark Angels: 1650 Points, Primed
Cygnar: 15 Points, Everything painted except caster

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:34 pm

...and...roger...

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:36 pm

The Paint Gods were not smiling on me last night; I was doing some blend work and nothing went my way. I'll give it a fresh start tonight, though. Also thinking I might (temporarily) snap the backpack off the Librarian - it's what's causing me the most grief, and the easiest item to reattach.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:41 pm

The paint gods are very fickle.... and for some bizarre reason I want to make names for this acrylic partheon... dangit.

Good luck with your in-devours with the librarian hopefully he does not cause some sort of physic damage...
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:02 am

No painting last night; I got home from walking my dog (during which we were attacked by an un-leashed black lab; don't worry, we're both fine) and went to put on laundry, only to find that my washing machine didn't feel like filling with water... so I spent the evening repairing that instead.

I *did* sit down afterwards with the intent of painting, but I looked at the librarian and just had no interest in it... so I considered doing some sculpting instead, and didn't get much past putting a wire frame together for the model.

It was a very eventful night :P

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:32 am

By attack do you mean with licks? I am not saying labs can't be vicious but its hard to picture for me, since my neighbor has one and he's a sweet doofus.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 am

Lady_Soria wrote:By attack do you mean with licks? I am not saying labs can't be vicious but its hard to picture for me, since my neighbor has one and he's a sweet doofus.
I do not mean licks. He came charging from the fellow's front porch, snarling the whole way, and lunged at my dog, teeth bared. I stepped between them and he snapped at my leg, but only caught a mouthful of denim. He then kept trying to circle me, and once jumped my dog and tried to bit him across the back, but I got low and pushed him off at this point, so he only managed to slobber all over him. at this point the owner called him away, and he listened - for about 15 seconds, after which he turned around and charged my dog again. I fended the dog off again (which is harder than it sounds because mine was trying to jump into the fray) and, not very politely, told the fellow to get his bleeping dog in his house. Once everything was safe, I walked to a nearby streetlight and looked my dog over for injuries, and just found a bunch of drool. Then I rubbed him down head to toe, in case there were any punctures hidden under his fur. Finally I rolled my jeans up and checked both of my legs - a few red scratches, but that was it.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:01 pm

So the last two weeks have been pretty disappointing from the hobby side of things; I've been too busy with real-life stuff to really put time into painting.

I did, however, start a daily sketch journal - the idea being that my sculpting composition will be better if my basic sketching abilities are up to snuff again. I haven't missed a day in the last 12, and I've actually hit on a few miniature ideas I want to sculpt... so last night, I started one while waiting for some ink to dry on a mini (my first time painting in weeks, I think).

Here's the sketch:

And here's the beginning of the head sculpt:

Still LOTS of detail to go, and I won't be adding his beard until the body is done and the head is attached to it - since it'll need to cover most of the chest.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 pm

I want one!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:31 pm

me too.

I still have several eyebots.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 pm

I have mine too, but I have plans for it!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!