Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:49 am

Last night's progress:

Left to do:
- add metallic gold to the tan-based areas
- paint purity seal parchment a bone colour
- black wash on the silver metallics
- amber wash on the gold metallics
- scribble on the parchment
- plasma coil detailing / eye highlights
- sergeant's head
- flocking & base rims

Not bad for 3 hours! I'm going to add one item to that list:

- Miscellaneous detailing (pouches, Plasma Cannon wires, sword hilt, etc)

These details will probably all be a flat gray with a black wash for simplicity.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:35 am

Thanks Wryce :) I'm happy with how it's turning out too.

Just flock to go!

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Got some time to flock the Tacs this morning.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:58 am

Started on the Bikes and remaining Termies last night; also, I won a Dreadball starter set back in the summer, and started assembling/cleaning that up. Have I mentioned I hate "Restic" minis? I'm just going to paint the Dreadball guys to a TTQ+ level anyway, so I'm not taking extreme care removing the mold lines.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 am

HATE RESTIC
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:52 pm

It's an awful Resin/Plastic mix that makes you want to pluck out your own eyeballs with your exacto knife. Awful, awful material to work with. It's almost impossible to remove mold lines without ruining the model. Luckily all of Mantics stuff is not made out of it...but I've limited myself to one Dreadball team and a refusal to Kickstart anything Mantic does because of it.

EMBARGO RESTIC!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm hoping Privateer Press's recent foray into Hard Plastics means they'll drop their own Restic stuff eventually - though I didn't find theirs to be *quite* as awful as Mantic's.

I was informed on Twitter last night that Restic mold lines come off very easily with a steel wool brush... I stopped to look for one on my way home, but couldn't find one small enough.

Finished basecoating the gold areas, and started on the white aspects with a light gray base - and the purple ink started bleeding though those, quite profusely. So I need another coat of white tonight... yippee.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:52 am

Blackwraith wrote:Coming along Mike!
Thanks!

More progress last night! I may not have these done in time for Saturday evening; I basically won't have hobby time this weekend. It means I'll fail a painting pledge - but I also just pledged the bikes and I've made progress on 7 models instead, so I'm ok with that.

I dug out some old Foundation Astronomican Grey, added some Flow-Aid to thin it back down to a reasonable thinness, and used it over the white areas that were suffering ink-bleed before. It seemed to do the trick, still had some bleed on the first coat but by the second, it was covering well.

Lots of tiny details to basecoat now, then the metallics and washes can start going on.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:08 am

I just love the colour scheme you have there for those marines!

I think I'll have to avoid that restic stuff though, as I already found myself cussing over 6 finecast servitors yesterday.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:11 am

The Bikes and Terms are *almost* done! After I finish these in the next night or so, I'm putting the DV project on hold to finish up a commission and a few Christmas-related things (painting a couple minis as stocking stuffers for family).

Of course, I put my Legion Project on hold to paint up my DV... seems like there's always something on hold.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 am

Arnathos wrote:I just love the colour scheme you have there for those marines!

I think I'll have to avoid that restic stuff though, as I already found myself cussing over 6 finecast servitors yesterday.
Thanks! It's loosely based on the Soul Drinkers colour scheme, though I don't think they incorporated green at all, and I didn't bother changing out the Dark Angels iconography. If I ever do a larger Soul Drinkers chapter force, I might start paying attention to those things a little more.

Purple is also my SO's favourite colour, and I figure I'll be able to convince her to play a game sometime if she likes the look of the models more ;)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Nearly there!

Some of the purple ink started bleeding back up last night through the black wash... It's particularly obvious on the parchment hanging from the purity seals. I'm a little concerned, but it probably just means I'm going to lose a couple of hours to touchups. Not the end of the world or anything.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2014”