Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 am

After finishing a ridiculously time-consuming commission last week, I've decided to stop taking commissions for a while and work on my own minis. I do still have one commission to finish, but it's pretty simple compared to the Knight Titan I just completed.

Last night I cleaned and assembled this 54mm Outworld mini for the Mini of the Month:

It's not for any particular gaming system - I'm creating a diorama base for the model, which is more or less new territory for me. My painting has come a long way in the last few years, but I've always just kind of phoned in my bases - glue and flock, almost always, and I want to get away from that.

I was also at a gaming con in Toronto last weekend, a small event in its first year called Hold the Line. I oddly *didn't* enter the painting competition, mostly because I didn't have any of my own pieces to enter... they were all commissions waiting to ship, and if I entered a commission and it were damaged or stolen, I would have lost my mind. So in a way, I guess I'm starting to paint pieces for competitions next year... it's about time I enter something into a Golden Daemon or Crystal Brush.

To that end, a lot of what I'll work on over the next while will be very high detail pieces as opposed to finally-getting-an-army-done... though I hope to do that too.

In case you didn't get a chance to see it, here's the Titan that I just finished that basically sucked me back into the hobby - the feedback on it has been amazing and I'm kind of riding on a high right now.

Last night, I also stained and sealed the wooden plinth I'll be building the diorama for the Outworld mini on... but that's less interesting.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Mike's Weekly Paint - the back half of 2014

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:59 am

And the duck returns :D. I look forward to getting further inspired by your painting. :D

Neat looking little model for MoTM. Reminds of a comic I saw that hand vending machine assassin robots.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I really hope I don't suffer from Hobby Burnout again... at least not to the extent I have in the past. It happens to all of us, but I hit 6-month slumps at times over the past few years.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff as well there Mr. Duck
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:13 pm

love the titan. The shoulder pads look wooden in the pic. Very cool effect.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:25 pm

I got very little painting done this weekend - some basecoating on a few Black Orcs for my final commission (at least, final for a while) and that was it. I'm neck-deep in home renovations and my work crew (aka my girlfriend and my mom) were both free, so we put two full days into the living room.

It's almost entirely painted and had a lot of repair work done, but I can't even count the painting because my girlfriend did that ;)

DaOrkyBitz
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:25 am

I love how it looks like stained wood. I looked for a tutorial but nothing came out quite like that. How did you learn the method?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 am

Honestly, I just spent a lot of time looking at photos of stained wood and really just trying to understand how the different tones played together... then I grabbed one shoulder pad and went with it. There was a little back-and-forth with every piece, getting the wood grains just right... it's not a fast process by any means, but it's pretty effective.

I need to find some model that it'll actually work on to do a tutorial... I don't have much kicking around right now that I think wood would be appropriate on, unfortunately.

DaOrkyBitz
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:Honestly, I just spent a lot of time looking at photos of stained wood and really just trying to understand how the different tones played together... then I grabbed one shoulder pad and went with it. There was a little back-and-forth with every piece, getting the wood grains just right... it's not a fast process by any means, but it's pretty effective.

I need to find some model that it'll actually work on to do a tutorial... I don't have much kicking around right now that I think wood would be appropriate on, unfortunately.
Yeah I really like your style. If you ever decide to make a tutorial, post it! I'm trying to imagine how you did it and i honestly can't say i can figure it out

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 pm

I can send you some models to do a tutorial with...then you can send them back...yeah...you can borrow them :)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:36 am

lol Thanks Nappen... but I've got a few hundred models on-hand already. Maybe a wooden Baneblade? (Yes, I have a spare Baneblade. Spare... *shudders*)

I've got a Leman Russ kit with no turrets... if I could grab a turret from another kit, I could finish up a Leman Russ and add wood panelling to it. Because... I don't know why. Otherwise... I don't think I have any Dreadnoughts kicking around, which would be my next choice for it. Maybe an Eldar Flyer at some point? I feel like they would fly a wooden Hemlock for some reason :P

I've been working on the Black Orc commission the last few days, but last night started an Emergency Secret Project. Basically, I'm painting up a model to bribe a fellow wargamer for a favour. Because they use this forum on occasion and follow me on social media as well, I honestly can't say anything about the project until its done, because it needs to be a surprise... but it'll be awesome. I hope.

I will say that it's a vehicle, and I picked it up last night.. then promptly assembled, primed, underpainted, basecoated, changed my mind, and re-primed the whole model in a matter of hours. Also cleaned my airbrush 5 times during that process... so it was an eventful evening last night :P

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 pm

A baneblade painted up like a old "woody" complete with surfboards.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Baneblade station wagon.... O_o
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:13 am

I can now safely reveal both the EMERGENCY SECRET PROJECT and who it's for...

I'm painting a Duck-themed Crimson Hunter for none other than MWG Joe! I'll also be painting an Eldar Bonesinger in the somewhat near future for him.

This is an early WIP, mostly just colour blocking at this stage.