Vault's #theweeklypaint2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Vault's #theweeklypaint2014

Post by Vault » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:02 pm

That's kind of what I'm going for just with the blue shell markings. I think I need another, lighter, gray. Somewhere between Codex Grey and Skull White. Odds are I'll just grab a darkish Reaper Gray and some more white to mix up my own. I like the dropper bottles better for that sort of thing.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Roight. So I haven't put paint on a model all week thus far. What I have accomplished is this little thing.

Tyrnaid Prime built out of a Broodlord. Head to toe he stands a little shorter than a Warrior; but toe to end of his hand he's actually a little bit taller. He needs some GSing where the two head parts didn't meet nicely and then around the lower set of shoulders. Or maybe I'll hide those under some chitin... Though not the same 'spike plates' I used on the top shoulders.
It'll be my first "real" sculpting with GS if I go that route. I've used it to fill gaps; vary the 'terrain' of a base, made rocks out of what I had left over but generally I use it and some super glue on metal miniatures. :0 But never to sculpt so to speak.

I'll be organizing my desk some soon... I hope. I got a few dozen stackable container... things. Those Red, Yellow, Green and Blue... tray things. Anyway my work had a bunch of the things sitting out in an old semi trailer and they were just going to toss them out so they're mine now. They just need to be cleaned because they've been sitting on a shelf almost, but not quite, outside for a year or three.

STILL waiting on the teleporter backpacks from bizbarn; oh how I hate ordering things from the US. It's only nine hours away but it takes weeks whereas stuff from Australia arrives within a week. -.-; *grumbles*
I bought some "new in box" jeanstealers off ebay the other day so there's that... and then I'll actually want a Broodlord now that I'ce chopped pieces off of this one. Oh well; I have the arms and back spines so I could just uparmour one into a Broodlord...

Got a couple more projects on the go. Assembled a Fire Warrior and Hormagaunt, each without their respective bases (and removed the slotta guide...thing from the gaunt) and as soon as I get some tiny screw eyes I'll be turning the Fire Warrior into a keychain. The Hormagaunt is entirely too fragile; not to mention pointy, to go in anyones pocket... will probably hang from my rearview mirror... and attempt to maul the fuzzy dice for ever and ever and ever an... Yes fuzzy dice. I have fuzzy dice hanging from my mirror. Because A) DIce; warhammer; haha that's funny. Also B) My previous car was a nineties model Buick. The dice were a requirement. Sadly it has now been a year in the car graveyard... [epic saga detailing the demise of said Buick removed for posterity, also lack of relevance.]
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 am

Whoa... he's gonna look awesome painted.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Working on my Flyrant currently because I pledged it over in the ... pledge thread; but I did get a base coat sprayed onto uh Rudolph (Whatever his actual name is I don't remember). It came out mostly okay except for one spot on the back of the cloak and a few spots on the front went a little flaky... the mini must be cursed.

Anyway I'm trying a different set of grays this time when I drybrush my Flyrant "non-chitinous" portions by starting with a darker almost blue gray that I can't recall the name of off the top of my head. I haven't actually looked at it since I hit it with a wash. I'll post a picture later but what I'm doing right now is a heavy gray drybrush, a lighter drybrush of a lighter gray and then an even lighter dry brush of... an even lighter gray. (repetition ftw) Then I hit it with a blackl wash to tone everything down... This is about the only way I can think of to give these areas "defenition" while still keeping them "black."

Does anyone have any other ideas?

edit: Oh uh... Teleport backpacks are here finally so I can move that project along now. Though I'm pretty tempted to order five regular Boyz for the conversion the more I look at my actual 'proper' Stormboyz.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Something I plain to do with my Khador is make them mostly black with red... but I plan to edge high light the black with a red/black mix... something I need to test. Maybe you could edge high like with a black/blue( or whatever other colour you are using) mix?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Vault

Post by Vault » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:52 pm

That's an idea. I'll have top base some gaunts as test subjects.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:52 pm

Agh I just saw how absolute crap this photo is but I'm too lazy to go take another one right now. >.<;

Progress on the Flyrant. Second layer of blue on the carapace one more to go. I spainted the teeth because easy and then went over the tounge with Daemonette Hide; the same colour is going onto the membranes I just... don't know what to do with it from there. -.-; Heavy wash of Devlan Mud probably. That always fixes everything right? Nah I'll brobably go around all of the little holes in the wing with a gray and then when it comes time to gloss things maybe I'll skip the membrane... I don't know. -.-;

Should have done a test Gargoyle before I went and pledged the Flyrant. orz
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 am

Whelp... I'm plotting for some terrain to build as part of the latest Group Build. I've got a small collection of slag I rescued from the shop floor so I'll incorporate that somewhere. My visiting sister was looking at all of my miniatures today and when I went to point out Kranon I rwalized I've apparently lost his sword. I blame my cat who uses my desk as a walkway and knocks everythig own.
It may have just gotten trapped under an organizer when I added my new. Cutting mat to the desk.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:55 pm

It's me again... Margaret. Hurr hurr.

It's been quite a while too and i haven't really done much of anything painting wise.... but I was lucky enough to score myself a copy of Stormclaw so now I have even more Orks... and some space vikings... I have no idea what I'm going to do with said space vikings... I'm not even certain Iv'e built them correctly since the instructions that came in the box were terrible in regards to the Space Wolves anway. So I wound up pretty much just doingwhatever I thought ooked cool so they're probably not at all usable. :p But hey I mostly just wanted the Orks anyway. Also, rulebook. The new box set has some nice 'Nids in it too but... Blood Angels. Because my Space Marines aren't already an odd blend of Ultrasmurfs, Dark Angels and Generics...

I might drag the KillaKanz over to my work's "old shop" across the back alley from me and use the nice "open, terribly lit, poorly ventilated, but thankfully heated" area to spray down a base coat.

... I've got about a half dozen Gundam kits on the way too... two HG and the rest RG. But since you don't really paint those...
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Love those Pig Iron heads on the Gue'vesa, I used the exact same ones for a commission client a few years back :) Keep it up, your unpainted backlog looks about as daunting as mine.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.