Vault's #theweeklypaint2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Vault's #theweeklypaint2014

Post by Vault » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:24 am

What have I been doing thus far? This... Librarian whatever his name is from Dark Vengeance. Who I have in my list as a plain old Librarian because custom chapter. Not happy with the Force Sword yet. I tried painting it Space Wolves Grey and then doing the "pattern with a bright blue but that backfired on me so I tried a 2:1 mixture of Flow Improver and White to give it a 'glaze' and that didn't help.

I also tried using that white to whatever the heck you call drybrushing with a glaze and it just made my red look dusty... I've run into an issue in that I'm using Blood Red and I have no brighter red to move up to for an attempt at highlighting. I can transition Gore Red to Blood Red to White that's my "colour triangle" for red. Funny since my Marine chapter uses it so prominently. There's an attempt at doing some "OSL" off the sword but again I find my miniature just ends up looking dirty.... and the intensity apparently varies between his head and his neck. Which I just noticed now.

So that's what I've been doing aside from base coating all of my Necrons aside from one stupid Tomb Blade who finally co-operated. And who I apparently assembled "wrong" according to the directions... And the Riptide who looks a bit daunting to paint.

Lots of experimenting and hopefully learning when it's all said and done...

I suppose I did learn "don't even try drybrushing with a glaze." Am I even using the term glaze right?
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Is that a mustard jar :P

Vault

Post by Vault » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Close. Depending on what you're looking at it's either yellow paint or the mini is sitting on the ... Indon't know if it's the top or bottom of one of those "freshly ground" spice dispensers.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Mc Cormick or something LOL not important. It's just to tell you hey I was here read your post :P

Vault

Post by Vault » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:49 pm

It arrived! :D
A Tyranid Swarm Box; a second Necron Battleforce two Lychguard/Praetorian boxes my third Canoptek Spyder, another box of Wraith two boxes of Ork Boyz and a box of Nobz.

And a pot of Green paint.

Oh... and a Broodlord who's useless to me until I get a Warrior kit.

I find it odd that the "battleforce" boxes don't include a basic HQ. :/

Annnyway; just in time for me to not work on them because I promised someone at work I'd do their drywalling for them this weekend. Neve, ever let people you work with know about your skillset. Oh well; in the least I'll get "free" beer.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:11 am

Well what passes for beer in this chunk of the world anyway. -.-; Almost all of our "popular" beers are virtually identical to eachother and it's not until you get into small independant or craft breweries that you =actually get anything resembling real beer.

Annnyway.
I left my Grimdark Racing board outside to dry after I painted it the other day and now it's been raining for two days sooooo yeah. I haven't worked n that or much of anything I've been building.
20 Ork boyz, seven nobz one from each boy kit), one Carnifex with scything talons and crushing claws, one gargoyle, four Termagaunts with Devourers and 20 Hormagaunts.

To Do
36 Termagaunts 26 with Devourers and 10 with either Spinefists or... the default weapon. 9 Gargoyles, 20 Hormagaunts, one Canoptek Spyder, 3 Canoptek Wraith, 20 Necron Warriors, 5 Deathmarks/Immortals, 1 Ghost Ark, and 10 Lychguard or Praetorians. oh... and then the Broodlord waiting on a Warrior kit to get some Prime bits added to him.

In the mail
The backpacks, a replacement set of handlebars for a marine motorcycle, stormboys, more hormagaunts, hive tyrant, warriors, centurians... No Venomthrope because meeplemart was out of those.

I DID manage to play a short game of Grimdark Racing with my sister who showed up just as I finished printing out the rules. Took about 45 minutes to play on a map I drew across a dozen sheets of loose leaf. Needs more obstacles and ramps/jumps instead of just the one gap in the road, overturned car and "broken pavement" i scribblet onto it.
Just have to make it through Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday though. Then I'm free for an entire week and can really get to work on things. Hopefully the weather co-operates so I can prime some things though.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 am

Sounds like you have a lot to work on!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:36 pm

After quite a bit of rummaging around and gaunt counting I've reached the conclusion that my Tyranid Swarm box was packed wrong. Seems I have 44 Hormagaunts and 36 Termagaunts. I personally don't really care since I got my squad of 30 but it'd be nice to have the option of downsizing the cost with other weapon choices and then there's the principle of the matter that something is missing from something I spent a fair bit of money on... so probably phoning GW.

For my paint scheme I kind of want to go with a black scheme but do some carapace colourations with blues, maybe greens, yellows... maybe all three. Then I'm thinking hit the shell portions with a high gloss acryclic sealer and the rest with a satin or matte one. Maybe pick out fleshy bits in grey...

Oh great I was just looking at pictures of Stag Beetles and saw a cool black one with yellow and brown colours. D: Now I'm even more unsure.

Edit: GW called and my Termagaunts should be on the way. I hope. ... I just got an email... If it's to be believed they're sending me an entire Termagaunt brood to replace the one sprue of four i'm missing out ofthe kit. :/
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Managed to build most of a Tau Cadre Fireblade, but I want to put a helmeted head on him... Then five Necron Deathmarks and a Ghost Ark, Carnifex, one and a half Tyranid Warriors and a Haruspex.

Now I was working on a flying Hive Tyrant and a fair ways along realized I'd used the wrong hip and tail pieces to actually attach him to his base. :/ so now I have to figure out how to add a flyig stem to this thig while still having it stable enough to stand up on it's own.

Oh; and I started painting a Carnifex but... :/
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:54 am

Hmm. Yeah maybe building up the recess where his neck would be might help. I notice the included head is a very odd shape and FW helmets are pretty much just a little bit of neck.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am

GW is usually good at Customer Service, though I'm waiting to see what they do about this Collectors Edition Ork book mess ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Vault

Post by Vault » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah that's a pretty bad situation all around. This is only the second time I've had to deal with them thus far... Last time was a Finecrap incident with a malformed tau stealth suit... Anyway I've managed this so far.

I need to add more stripes on more of the chiton plates and then regloss the shell portions. Then get the small details... But I need to figure out more colours...

Edit: stormboyz are here and I'm workin on assembling them. I'm not too... They're sculpted in take-off and I don't like that much but I should use them to keep the same profile... Fixed the Flyrant too. Legs were loose enough I could simply swap them out. But now I don't have the 'counts as scything talons' feet. Might try to add the talons to the wing claw.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Kinda reminds me of the Alien from the Alien movies.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)