Vault's #theweeklypaint2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Vault's #theweeklypaint2014

Post by Vault » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Well I'm going to try my hand at this, though my old digital camera has apparently been lost to the warp storm that is my room so I'm down to a 3DS, Vita, laptop, or my iphone to take pictures on. :/ Okay that's more cameras than I thought I had but you get the point. anyway I have so much stuff that needs painting it's not funny... and more should be arriving shortly.

And EVEN MORE should be getting shipped out... also shortly. Tyranids and some Orks on the way so there's going to be a LOT to do.

Anywho. This week I'll work on my two Necron Lords and my Overlord.

I was all set to ramble on about what I'm doing but yeah. :p While I may have started this thread apparently a day late but I did just spray these Lords yesterday. ;p And boy that angle shows I missed a lot in the one Lord's... inner collar area. I wanted to do some black on the Lords somewhere to help them stand out but apparently I'm out of Chaos Black and it'll have to go on my next shipment if I get more of... whatever they're calling it now. Seriously the only one I know right now is that Ushabti Bone is more or less the same as Bleached bone.

I like to ramble... so I should probably shut up now before this gets really out of hand and I go on about my colour scheme and the painted/not painted ratio of my 'Crons. No point in a rant when, more than likely, the weeks progress photos are going to include shots of stuff int he background. Sinc eI have NEcrons Tau and Space Marines all over my desk atm.

I will apologize now to the diehards; I got impatient and started using a generic brand acrylic turqoise (mixed with flow improver) because GW ships kind of slow from the southern United States to Middle of Nowhere southern Canada.

Flow Improver helps with the "generic brand stuff" which I've found dries a little... grainy or rough feeling. A texture I really don't like but there's been no problems yet. It played well with an experimental Thraka Green wash I put on parts of my Stalker.

Remember what I said about rambling and shutting up? Doing that now.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Vault's #theweeklypaint2014

Post by Joce » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:19 pm

A touch up of brush-on primer inside the deep eras is what I do

Vault

Post by Vault » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:55 pm

I... use Krylon sprays for my base coats. So a brush on primer isn't going to work. It might have if I'd gone black or white but this whatever it's called (Ultra Flat and part of their "Camoflauge" color set) has no real equivalent. I -might- be able to mix up an approximation but more than likely I'll suck it up and make sure to get in there with my next layer heavily to compensate. :/
Also make sure I'm not assembling a nightmare to spray base-coat onto when I put things together. :p

Update: I've gotten the Overlord's (The one with the rock on the base) first layer of Bleached Bone (Ushabti Bone) on his arm/leg bits. Then done the parts between those in Reaper New Gold. His head ornament is done in Boltgun Metal (don't know the new equivalent). I'm contemplating painting his "face" a different colour than I've done on everything else so far after finding mention of Death Masks in the codex. If it looks good I might colour the current two members of his Royal Court similarly, perhaps even uniquely.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:13 am

Looking forward to seeing more!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Okay so this is a rather large image but I'm too lazy to crop this one, and I can't figure out how to make Photobucket do a clickable thumbnail. Besides it's nice to see the state of my desk and all the painting I still need to do. Tau, Necrons, Space Marines... some very dusty Orks that have been sitting on a shelf for a couple or three years. ;p

Okay... so nothing much has happened since my last little update. Like my update said I got the Reaper New Gold onto the Overlord, the Bleached/Ushabti Bone and some Boltgun Metal. That was yesterday though. Today I... watched Happy Gilmore and then painted the blue onto the shoulderpads and spent the rest of the time up to now playing with a glaze I made from the turquoise colour I've been using. You can see it on the Ress Orbs... I'll see what happened in the morning. It's kind of just a "let's see what will happen!" thing because I've never actually done any glazing. Used it to play with a little OSL stuff and... I probably just made a mess I'll have to clean up tomorrow in most spots and others is stuff I was going to paint a different colour anyway. :p
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Yeah I made four of those and then I took four Cadians and cut the weapons out of their hands because I bought the pushfit ones on accident and then gave them some cut down plasma rifles. Then I cut their heads off and pinned in some from Pig Iron Productions. Add a Fire Warrior as a Shas'vre and boom. Gue'Vesa squad. :p I just field them as a Fire Warrior troop though if my opponent doesn't mind.

The Space Marines are hard easier but their shoulders hate the Fire Warrior shoulderpad and the 'empty' hand is far too large for a plasma rifle. I've thought about cutting the fingers off and shrinking the gap but haven't gotten around to it.

Fluff wise... There are way too many Marines in that squad to make any kind of sense. :p Then again Marines do live a long, long time sowe could have a few generations of traitors who asked the wrong question of their Chaplain. ;p

Edit: photo that i can't edit atm since I'm on my phone and then I guess 8 lied I made six Guardsmen and five Marines.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Oh yeah, much easier on the Cadians. Just try to get ones that aren't push-fit because cuttingthat lasgun out of the sculpt is kind of annoying. You'll have to cut down the existing shoulderpad to make it fit though.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:07 pm

Looking at the GW store I think those are your only option; unless you get the full squad which is way too many (imho) models. It'd stock your bitz box though. ;p

Anywho. I got some more paint onto miniatures; some even the Necron Lords. I mixed up some lighter turqoise and glazed the Ress Orbs again because I liked how it looked. I painted the weapon shafts; second coated a bunch of things and started in on the spinal pieces.
Then I got side tracked and started painting a Space MArine Librarian since I use Bleached Bone on both them and my Necrons. >.> I also learned that Reaper "Antique Brass" and Citadel "Shining Gold" are the exact same colour.
If I'm lucky I'll have some Chaos/Abbadon Black tonight or tomorrow that I can finish up some of the "clothing" bits with.Done for the day; pretty wiped out after trying to adjust sleeping patterns to start my work day half an hour earlier as three days ago. Finally I think it'll work out.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:58 am

Well;

There they stand, painted. Nothing special. Bleached bone on most of the "fleshy" bits if such a word can be used for Necrons. I started using a very light blue on the Vargard Lord (Baharroth Blue) and it worked so very well with the Golden Yellow I already had on the model that I the same sequence went onto all three of them in some variety. Then I painted the Overlord's cloak with the same blue and gave it a very, very heavy wash of Drakenhof Nightshade before giving it a light drybrush of Ice Blue which was pretty much obliterated when I washed absolutley everything with Devlan Mud...
Drakenhof nightshade appears again on the Overlord's "death mask" which is actually just a REALLY heavy wash over the basecoat. If anything this little project has given me a chance to play with washes and glazes. What it didn't do is give me highlighting/edging experience which I think should be the focus of my next Pledge. ;p
On a random note. My Riptide Arrived! That was pretty fun to assemble. But he's going to remain a secret until I start painting it. :p Sufice to say I went the route that inolved removing all of the "set pose pins" and just doing my own thing.Annnyway I'm happy enough with the Overlord that I'm changing my Avatar from the one I currently use -everywhere.- :O
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Well; this week I've been working on my Orks. I mostly just have the Assault on Blackreach Orks and they're all about half painted. I did a bunch of work on the Warboss and the Nobz and then Hit them with a heavy wash of Badab Black. Because heavy washes are my answer to everything. After that I mixed up a green lighter than the one I'd used on most of my Ork skin and started drybrushing the skin... then I added a little yellow and did a few more. To finish up I added several drops of a dark green to finish the last of them done.
The Deffkoptas out of that kit are... well one of them has been painted with mostly Boltgun Metal for some reason so I have to go add a few differently coloured panels to it to make it look more Orky. I think part of why I didn't get into Orks was that the AoB set didn't let you customize anything... which is kind of half the point of Orks isn't it?

I ordered some bitz to replace an arm and handle bars that seems to have vanished out of the box I was keeping my DV Biker Marines in. :/ Then it was off to BitzBarn to get some Grey Knight Interceptor Backpacks and then shopping around for a box of Ork Stormboyz... to whom I'm planning to attach these backpacks. :twisted: I figure either I'll run them as regular Stormboyz or maybe with a 2 or 3d6 scatter roll for their movment. I'll have to suitably Orkify the backpacks though... which should be fun; provided I have an opponent who doesn't mind. I figure sure; they might be really fast; but they could also do absolutley nothing or teleport off the table or into the middle of an enemy (or ally) squad. Which I'm not sure how to deal with.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Some fun ideas coming there! I like the idea of the Boyz usin' Tellyportaz'.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Probably going to be a couple weeks coming as I wait for things to show up. More likely I'm going to try to get something into the Terrain Group Build for July since I'll have a week off work and I've got some ideas. :D I've also been looking around for things I could turn into a custom Trukk or Looted Wagon.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points