Soria.. 2014..ALREADY?!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Soria.. 2014..ALREADY?!

Post by Dez » Sat May 03, 2014 9:10 am

ArqArturo wrote:Are you excited with the new dwarfs line in Warhammer?.
I actually am! I never started them because there were several other Dwarf players in my gaming group. I also had someone drop a pretty big WoC army on my lap, so that's what I started with.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat May 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Didn't get much done this week. Its been emotionally and mentally draining and painting Brets/Cav is a lot more work than the infantry I've been doing lately.

Tired to find the white balance on my camera and it doesn't seem to have one. I did find a setting that did help though.

Just a base coat right now, but not bad. These guys are going to have to wait a bit for their next coat since my attempts at saving my sunburst yellow ( which should tell you how often I use yellow) failed so I have make an order in at reaper when I get paid.

In the mean time my attention will turn to my last three stunties in my dwarf group.

I apologize for the blur I didn't have room on the shelve to set them and the camera....

I'm a bit nervous at paint the Dwarf thane.. he was my mom's favourite of my models.. naming him Grimaxe Stumpmaker and I haven't repainted him since she died.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sat May 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Those knights are looking great! I detest painting cavalry and mounted things of any kind (double the work), it's just that they look pretty cool and are tons of fun on the tabletop.

I'm also sure you will do your mother's memory proud by giving the thane the paintjob he deserves!

All the best with the real life pains and distractions, hope things look up soon!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:25 am

I LIVE! So for various reason I have been without internet since.. well the last I posted, and only got it back on the 12th of this months. One would think I would have gotten a lot of painting down without the distractions of the internet...not so much. Although when I started this hobby almost twenty years ago ( ouch!) i would crank the tunes and paint my ten year old brains out I discovered something now that I'm.... more detailed oriented. When I listen to music I tend to get tunnel vision and more or less just focus on the task. Which is alright if when I am writing... but if I make mistakes in painting and don't fix them before a certain point...not so good. With podcasts and videos, especially battle reports, I don't get that tunnel vision.

Along with periods of saddness, like a family cat that was at least 18 if he was a day, passing away I did not get any painting done.

I did get some painting done Thursday of my dwarf trio, pictures are coming.

Pardon the long post I think I missed you guys too much. :D
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Welcome Back again.

Sorry about the cat :cry:

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks Nappen... I am not as sad as I was for Oscar, the cat. And even then I was sad because it was heart wrenching to see him lose his sight and his confidence. He had a good life with us, he was a rescue. I watched him grow from a scared dirty orange cat to the lord of his kingdom that had no issues crawling into a lap for a cuddle or a petting, that had the chance to greet all three of my sister's daughter as the came into this world, the oldest being ten, the youngest four months in ten days.

I think if I ever get a model with a glorious mustache that I want to make a red head, I'll name him Oscar.

Okay enough sappy stuff! I've heard rumours of new Bret stuff releasing end of June early July. I won't be getting anything right away since I work for the school broad now and have to save any late paychecks for bills, being a responsible adult stinks, but I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts... before I post new pictures.

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:23 pm

I am sad for your cat, I love my animals deeply and yeah they love us too I will do anything for them. Nice to see you back, now paint me something :P

Lea 8 years

Mika 4 years

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:10 am

I'm sorry to hear about Oscar, but it sounds like he had a long, great life! We are cat people too, we have 2 kittens Solas and Luna (essentially meaning Sun and Moon).

Glad to hear things are getting on track, now lets see some new painted stuff! Try using the white filter too, so your pics aren't as yellow :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:40 pm

Still trying to find a good setting on my camera to take pic with. I think I may just bite the bullet next time and do it with the camera on my new cellphone, seem to take better pics.

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:45 pm

Well not to seem the wierdo who wandered in out of the rain but... I had the best success using the Macro (depicted by an M on my own camera) setting when I wasn't just using my cellphone and emailing the pictures to myself as I am now.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Update and a comparison. Before I begin I should explain my camera is about six years old.... its a Kodak and kinda hard to figure out. I like the pics my new phone takes... but I'll let you guys decide. Got another step on my last three dwarfs done.

These are from my camera

These are from my phone.

You can see why I prefer my cell phone. Kinda sad that I'm almost done these guys. Once the army's based and clear coated they'll be my last GW dwarfs I paint.. unless free ones drop into my lap.

Vault

Post by Vault » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Well that is a clear difference in photo quality between the camera and the phone.

Those look like they're coming along nicely. Kind of curious what you'll do for the beards because I have no idea at all what to do with somehing like that. Never had to deal with it being mostly 40k. :x
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Vault wrote:Well that is a clear difference in photo quality between the camera and the phone.

Those look like they're coming along nicely. Kind of curious what you'll do for the beards because I have no idea at all what to do with somehing like that. Never had to deal with it being mostly 40k. :x

Not sure what you are asking.. like shading or highlighting??

Vault

Post by Vault » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Exactly like that; sorry if I was unclear. I don't know if you can just highlight it and give it a wash?
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

easycompany
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Dez wrote:I'm sorry to hear about Oscar, but it sounds like he had a long, great life! We are cat people too, we have 2 kittens Solas and Luna (essentially meaning Sun and Moon).
Not sure if this was what you were going for, but solas is the Gaeilge (Irish native language) for light.

Back on topic, new pictures are great! Dwarfs, Dwarves are looking cool, can't wait to paint mine. Battle for Skull Pass was my first set so the nostalgia is there!
Curahee!

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2014”