TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint 2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint 2014

Post by TheHoundmaster » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Sorry for such a long time to reply! I don't actually have anything written up about these guys yet. But now that you say that I will have to get to it! I imagine a sort of Lustrian Expeditionary force that has gone a little ragged and a little native. The once clean uniforms are tattered, the shields are rusty or scavenged. New ways had to be found to pull the war machines, new mounts had to be found when the horses died off. Rust, disrepair, sickness, and want blight the army, but they keep going. Why? Gold. Glory. And Sigmar!
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

TheHoundmaster
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Did this today, not too happy with it but it's just infantry.

More importantly this is where I did it!

Sat outside, listened to music, smoked my pipe, and now steak for dinner. A damn fine day.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:59 am

:: looks at the snow on her ground:: I has a jealous.

I think the drummer looks good.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:44 pm

I think he looks good too! I think the eyes on the drums can use a highlight, make them brighter and scary!

It's about 12F here, so kinda jealous as well ;) Can't wait for the mountain of ice in my back yard to melt so I can grill!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:09 pm

I've been agonizing over how to do the eyes. I did them on my prophet's mask and didn't like em much. Any suggestion? I thought about making them gems, maybe rubys with gold backs.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:09 pm

That sounds good , but would add some orange/yellow into the gem

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:16 pm

I agree with Nappen, Topaz would be a good choice.. but with gold it might blend in too much... if you went with an emerald it would pop more.

Depending on how deep you want to go into it you may want to research what kind of gems can be found in that kind of climate.

I just think Rubies are over done.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:50 pm

With the red sleeves, I thought rubies. There is the blue hat band...

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:03 pm

I would do emeralds but I don't have the right paint. I'll try sapphires.

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Here he is!

Did some base work on this guy too.

And primed this guys head. I think the horns turned out lovely.

So, if I can finish up some schoolwork, I'll get the bases done for my swordsmen command and front row. Pics to come!

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 pm

The sapphires looks great. Love the look of that knight and those horns are awesome.

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:The sapphires looks great. Love the look of that knight and those horns are awesome.
Thanks! I'm really struggling with these jungle bases. Can't find the right mix of dirt/grass/foliage/gubbins.

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Woohoo! I'm on a roll tonight! Check out dem bases! I think I finally go the right mix of dirt, rock, and grass!

And with those all lined up, we get THIS!

First rank DONE! That only took a few months :P TO THE STEGADON!

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm

Last one tonight, I swear!

So this Stegadon was $20 because it didn't have any horns and the howdah was pretty messed up. I think its safe to say I fixed it rather beautifully!

For those of you not familiar with the bits involved, I used some scraps (I think from a scrap launcher?) to support one side of the front portion and another to complete the gap in the back. I also added a bit of swinging chain, hoping it helps look like the dino is rocking back and forth as it lumbers along. With any luck I'll have this guy completed (as far as modeling) here in a few days! I really wish I could find a rolled up ladder somewhere though :(

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:49 am

Sapphire looks good. Good choice.
Steggadon is rocking.