Nappen's Weekly Paint 2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Nappen's Weekly Paint 2014

Post by Nappen » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:33 am

back from a business trip. just did a little on a couple of khador models last night.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Worked on the khador a little, but then decided to build all the plast craft crates that were sitting on my desk.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Cool crates!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Not too expensive either.

Setting up my daughter's train today.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:38 pm

got 3 man o wars and two wreck markers done. still need to base them like my others. Now just the widowmakers and troopers to go and Khador will be done.

ImageImage

This is what the basing will look like.Image

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:40 am

I like the battle damage, are you airbrushing these?
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:31 am

I feel like a thin, dark brown wash on the Man-o-Wars would really help give them a bit more definition, especially around the grill area on their chest.

Just curious, have you ever tried using an Oil Wash?
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Dez: no airbrush. Just sitting and watching tv with the kids. Other than priming and the first red layer. It is just so much faster.

Mike: no, never used oil wash. You are right about the wash. I hit all the metallics but forgot the regular old red. But tell me about oil wash...

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:07 am

Cool, thanks

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:30 am

Short Version:
  • Do all your normal painting, and varnish/seal the model to protect the paint. A gloss varnish works best, but a matte varnish will end up giving the finished model a grimmier look.
  • Mix about 50/50 Oil Paint and Odorless Mineral Spirits (you can usually get these from the Oil Paint section of a hobby store). Make sure they're Odorless - regular mineral spirits (which I used my first time) will leave you very light-headed.
  • Basically smear the Oil Paint all over the sealed model, make sure to get it in the deeper parts.
  • Let it dry for about 4-6 hours.
  • Using Cotton Swabs / Q-tips, start wiping away the oil from the surfaces of the model. If it's on the dryer side, you might need to dip the cotton in a little bit of mineral spirits to help loosen the paint up. You'll end up using a LOT of cotton swabs.
  • Let the model dry for another day or so, and then seal it again with a Matte Varnish.
The difference between using a Gloss and Matte varnish in the first step is how the Oil Paint will flow over the model. With a gloss varnish, it's going to hold tighter to details because the surfaces themselves are too smooth - so it'll tightly shade creases, angle changes, etc. A matte varnish gives the whole model a slightly stippled texture, which the oil paint adheres to a little better - which also means it won't flow into recesses quite as willingly. This works in your favour if you want the whole model to be grungier, but not if you want super clean surfaces.

In the video, the painter uses a small brush and is very deliberate with where he places the wash. In my experience, that's not necessary - I use one of the largest brushes I have and just smear it over almost everything. Oil Wash wipes off the model very easily, so it's not a concern if you get it on parts you don't want, unlike an Acrylic Wash (typical GW washes) which dry quickly and don't give you an option to correct them.

One final note - as long as you haven't sealed the oil in, a little mineral spirit on cotton will *always* let you wipe more away, even if its been dry for days. So if you spot a mistake a few days later, you can fix it as long as you haven't varnished the model yet.
Last edited by Epic Duck Mike on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: That was the short version?
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:11 am

Cool. I may give it a whirl

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:09 am

Started work on my widowmakers last night. Hope to finish them and then move on to the winterguard. That will be all the Khador I plan on doing. Don't play them, but just keep them around.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Finished up my widow makers. Waiting for the snow on the bases to dry so pictures later. Started on my winter guard tonight. Well, the base on the capes anyway.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:32 pm

pic of widow makers

I just need to finish my winter guard so I can get back to my Venice board