Nappen's Weekly Paint 2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Nappen's #weekly (sometimes daily) paint (2013 and 14)

Post by Nappen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:27 pm

So, last year I focused on getting my Dark Eldar painted enough for fully painted games and am down to around 1k points left.

I thought that this year I would change it up a bit and do monthly focus on a particular army.

My plan is:
January: Space Marine Month. I will finish as much of my daughter's space marine army as I can.

February: Back to Dark Eldar. As part of an escalation league, we get points for painting up models so will work on the last 1k of DE.

March: Tyranids. Same reason as above. My son wants to use the escalation league as a method to learn the new tyranid codex, and I can paint up some more models for him.

April: I think it if finally time to get that rat army done :)

After that...not sure...

Speaking of, I finished up the salamanders this morning. Suitable fluff/update to the Peace Marine WIP this evening. Have to head into work for a bit now.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:08 pm

I can't get over how good those scouts look !

Good idea with a monthly focus, I like it!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:00 pm

The scouts were very interesting to paint. Very different from tacticals and I couldn't really find pictures anywhere, so went with the description in the novel I just read as best I could remember. I plan on doing some weathering/damage on my trench board today and maybe lay some sand since it is warm today but supposed to snow tomorrow. Painting this thing may be a problem if it stays really cold in the garage, but I will try.

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:39 pm

The Monthly focus is a pretty swell idea, but i am still so distracted by how good your Salamanders, especially the scouts, look. and those Bases are phenomenal. Just good work all around Nappen.
I hope it hasn't been as cold there as it has been here cause its been straight 20 degrees Fahrenheit and has snowed several times this winter already. its crazy freezing, but more importantly its stopping me from priming :(
Happy Wargaming
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks, it has been in the 20s and 30s but in the 40s today, so a good day to do stuff. Supposed to get really cold tomorrow and snow.

TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Glad I'm down here in Texas then! Hasn't even gone out of the 50s all month! I have to agree, I'm stunned with how good the salamanders are. If you didn't make them Peace Marines then you'd certainly have a nice starter force on your hands!

Here is something I heard about for lava bases that you may want to try out for fun: Paint the base completely in lava colors, random swirls of red, yellow, orange, etc. Then take the new Agrellan Earth technical paint, and mix in some Eshin Grey or black paint. When you put that down over the lava it will look like flaking lava crush!
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Cool thought.

I did the peace portions pretty much on just the black areas so it would be easy to make them back into standard salamanders if she gets tired of the peace marines. Not sure how I will do the venom thorns. Not really a good place to put the peace signs :)

I am having a really hard time deciding how to do the walls of my trench board. I could tear up some cardboard boxes and use the corregated material, but not sure how long that will last. Would love to do pastruct, but I would need around 10 sheets and that is more than the foam cost :( ...Maybe magic sculpt on the walls and then carve in diamond plate patterns...I just don't know.

drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:11 pm

what walls on the trench board are you trying to decide about. the walls in the trenches, or the walls on the bunker ?
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Oh, in the trenches'. I think I will just use corrugated card stock for some areas and plain plasticard I have laying around for some others.

drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Nappen wrote:Oh, in the trenches'. I think I will just use corrugated card stock for some areas and plain plasticard I have laying around for some others.

what about Popsicle sticks ?
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:53 pm

I just ordered the cardstock. couldn't find it locally. Pop sticks are too thick. A 40 mm base would no longer be able to get through with them on both sides :)

I just ordered some stormvermin for my rat horde I will paint up in the spring.

Dez, you still up for a blogging duo rat clan painting project?

TheHoundmaster
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:02 pm

Hobby Lobby has sheets of plastic/plasticard that come in a diamond pattern, would look great I think.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Yeah, but the are 10 bucks for two sheets. I figured out there is 433 inches of 2inch high trenches, so looking at 10 sheets...

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Heh, in that case screw that noise! Minis are expensive enough!

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Yep, I can spend 8 bucks on corrugated card stock and call it a day :)