Group Build 52 Voting: Rivers and Trenches.

Pick your favorite

Poll ended at Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Peregrin’s Defensive Trenches
27%
Wizardv12222’s Rivers
No votes
IG_Guardsman’s Canal
No votes
dcrabb’s bunker’s and weapons stations
13%
Nappen’s Trench Board
60%

Total votes: 15

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Group Build 52 Voting: Rivers and Trenches.

Post by Nappen » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Wizardv12222’s Rivers

Image Image

IG_Guardsman’s Canal

P1020278 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020277 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020279 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020282 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr
P1020283 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020284 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020285 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020286 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020289 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020290 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020287 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Nappen’s Trench Board

(this is the flat peice where the bunker can go)

gorefangz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Group Build 52 Voting: Rivers and Trenches.

Post by gorefangz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:26 pm

this was a great Group build!

Wizardv12222, you had some nice looking rivers. those deep blues really made the river look like it was flowing.

IG_Guardsman, same goes for the greens, it looked like it was flowing, and the stonework you did was great, but what i really liked was the rusted sewer grate bars, those were a really nice touch and you did them very well.

Dcrabb, i was kinda confused at first about these, they do look very cool, the gun platforms, done very well and the trenches look great, but it was all completely white, which i believe to be because you just havnt painted it yet, but you have those posterswhich makes me think they are finished... so idk, but on the off chance that you do have them like that, maybe a little bit of durt splatters on them, or something like that.

Now, Nappen, i really like this board, its got so much going on, with the lower level, the rock faces, the trenches, the bunker, really a great piece and as a whole table, it really is great. and idk what you used in the trenches, popsicle sticks or something, but that mustve been so tedious to cut and place all of those :P , kudos for sticking with it, really does add a lot to it. my one suggestion would be to add some grass, or really just anything to add some colour, cause right now, i see brown, a different brown, a lighter brown, a darker brown, some grey, but that is really it, as for the whole board, not taking paint into consideration, is very cool.

As for peregrin, i really do love this, as i said, i am a sucker for rust, and you did that so well. those trench walls, idk if you used cardboard for the ruffles, but you painted it very well, it looks like it has taken some serious wear and tear, and dat rust doe. and the actual dirt in the trenches looks incredible. it instantly made me think of trench warfare like we hear it was in WW1. and it just looks great. On top of all that, you got the little rocky structures, the little ramp, and the grass. i personally think the whole cement building part looks kind out of place to be perfectly honest. but, man, if you could do a whole board to that level, it would look superb!
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

Crusherfex
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Crusherfex » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:59 pm

These are all stunning. I have no idea who to vote for.

Great job everyone.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:10 am

Like the mix of grass and dirt
Wondering which direction is the front arc, seems a bit exposed?
The grey concrete bunker needs some more weathering (or the flash washed out the colours?)
I think the area where foam meets base needs a bit of plaster to transition it better.

Wizardv12222’s Rivers
Like the design
Not sold on the colours, maybe a smoother transition between the blues?

IG_Guardsman’s Canal
Nice layout
Nice rusty pipes!!
Wondering if dry brushing between the light and dark green would give more depth?
Guess you will be voting for a bridge build next?

Complete layout looks &^%%$#* FANTASTIC!!
But the bunkers and gun emplacements look unfinished, if you are going for a snow look you need to try some of that snow flock stuff on the ground.

Nappen’s Trench Board
Pretty!!!
That's its interchangeable is awesome!
Was worried that the flat areas would look out of place, the bastions sorted that out!

respect92
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by respect92 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 am

WOW! Amazing job everyone. This things look fanrastic.

1. To everyone, the rust effects is realy good. When I do rust I only take a metal-color with tin bits(the GW-color). I think its more work with yours.

Peregrin.
Like the texture on this one. If you had to the area behind to the right(pic 1) made the same that would have looked even better. Only thing is the stairs, I think since the rest looks so good and like it have been there sometime during a war it should be more Dirty?

Wizard.
Wow, that water looke prefessional. Only thing is the edges, some more details would have increaed the professonal'ish.

IG_Guardsman.
As Wizard I realy like this water effect. Cool that you can arrange them different each game.

dcrabb.
Realy good. There is actually only one thing I think you would have added some more. Color. Everything else was realy great.

Nappen.
Huge! Would be nice to play a big battle on this board, or Apocalypse. :) The labyrinth of trenches, nice. Its just great!

Like I said at the start, just WOW! wish my pieces looked like this.
Please nerf damage of GW-prized minis.
Best regards the Wallet

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks for the comments all! I appreciate both the compliments and the contructive suggestions. Always looking to improve!

We played a couple of games of Infinity on this set, first the bunker with the trenches, and another with just the bunker. They both seemed to play well, as long as everyone was clear on what counts as partial cover, what counts as full cover, and what was difficult terrain for movement. The trenches were able to keep the Pano team from being Viral Sniped by a Haqqislam Lasiq.

------- addendum -----
It does create a couple of fire lanes, one at the front and one down the ramp, so I may go with my original idea of putting a keypad and door at the bottom of the concrete stairs in the front.
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:47 am

They all look fantastic this month. We have to really nit-pick to come up with complaints on any of them. Mine excluded...to do again, there is a lot I would change- but I really like all of them this month.

Peregrin: I really like yours. I like the detail and the slopes. The grass stone interfaces are nice. And the dirt and mud details are great. Only thing I would add is more damage to the bunker. The rest of the peice is really gritty and worn, but the bunker is a little clean.

Wiz: I just love those rivers. I don't know what else to say. I want a tutorial :)

IG: The sewer is awesome and the muck rolling into the barred grate is really realistic. I love modular terrain like yours with the ability to make a lot of patterns. I can see a lot of fluff and storytelling going into games with these in them. Only thing I would like to see is some grime on the walls. Just every so often like something climed out of the ooze or something.

dcrabb: It just screams hoth. It could be from any number of games and use rules for the fortress of redemption...but with snow. I like the modular nature here as well. Maybe just a little something on the bunkers to break up the color a little.

As for mine: I agree about the brown and more brown. I really thought about some grass, but ultimately I decided that any grass would have been blown up, driven over etc, so left it out-not sure if it was the right decision or not. I probably should have put some track marks or more dug in variation, but was afraid it would become difficult to run models with too much. I still tend to underdo the damage.

As for the flatness. That was on purpose. I need to stack them, so I decided I would not "build up" only down. The plan was to allow different terrain to be used to help with variability as well. But agree 1000% that without other stuff on it, it looks flat. One note to anyone who does one of these. Measure the trenches carefully. I have a couple that only infantry can get through, termies can't. I am okay with that, but I forgot that the walls would take up space when doing the trenches.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:12 pm

I agree that all of this month's entries looks great and also look really playable.

Grats to Nappen who obviously took it though! You pulled a big project out of your hat! Good effort.
As for breaking things up, I would probably have gone with a little more 'craterage' and maybe some sparse dry looking grass... not much though, and not the green stuff I used. Your needed to be functional with other terrain and it is. If you want to build it up, then just make a few pieces using the same types of colours and texture, maybe hills or concrete barriers, and stick those on top of the flat bits. Looks great.

I may eventually build a theme board around either the bunker or the trenches. I'll wait to see what I decide. If it is a fairly new looking theme, then the bunker stays as is.... most likely, though, it will be something ravaged by war and the bunker will get beat up a bit more.... still deciding.
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca

Return to “Group Build 52”