GB 52: Trench line support weapons and bunkers

dcrabb
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

GB 52: Trench line support weapons and bunkers

Post by dcrabb » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:11 am

I couldn't wait to get started on building my trench line so I started it in November. Since this was before the official start of this month's build I cannot enter the trench line boards. But I am going to enter the support weapons and bunkers which I just started in mid Dec.

First, here is the trench system. It is modular and is made up of 12 1' x 1' sections and fills up a 2'x 6' half of a game table. There are approx. 1400 sand bags along the trenchlines. My wife helped me make some of them.

The open sections behind the front line are for artillery, tanks, command bunkers, bastions, etc. Who knows some day I may make triple section for my Fortress of Redemption.

P1020235 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020237 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020238 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Here are the pieces that support the trenchline that I am entering in this month's competition. They are made from gellato dishes (green ones), fruit cups (clear ones), and wooden jewelry boxes that are carved to look like pill boxes.

P1020240 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

There are 7 turrets - 2 twinlinked lascannon, 2 linked hvy bolters, 2 linked hvy flamers, and one linked autocannon. They will sit on a raised position behind the second row of sand bags.

P1020242 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Here they are primed:
P1020244 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Here you can see the painting progression from black to an icy blue followed by a dirty white and a lighter coat of a pure white. I used the same paint scheme on the battle mat the trench line is sitting on in the first photo above. It is hard to see in this photo due to flash bleed out.

P1020246 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

All the entries thus far look fantastic. It is going to be a tough competition. Best of luck to all who enter.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: GB 52: Trench line support weapons and bunkers

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 am

That looks great.

The sandbags are they greensuff or plaster?

dcrabb
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by dcrabb » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 am

Nappen wrote:That looks great.

The sandbags are they greensuff or plaster?
Nappen, green stuff is too expensive for sandbags. I use a product called Paper clay that I purchase at Hobby Lobby in the US. It is a clay that air dries. I just roll it into a thin snake, then flatten the snake a bit then cut into appropriate lengths, let dry and badda bing you got yourself some sand bags. I got approx. 700 bags out of one brick of clay.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:55 pm

That's a lot of sandbags :)

dcrabb

Post by dcrabb » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:51 pm

There are a total of about 1500 bags on this board! Took two full nights to roll, and dry, them all.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 pm

I am on my 8th cast of my wood plank mold. I really wish I had bought two :) as I need at least another 8

dcrabb

Post by dcrabb » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 pm

Nappen wrote:I am on my 8th cast of my wood plank mold. I really wish I had bought two :) as I need at least another 8
I used craft sticks from Hobby Lobby and Tacky glue. They have different widths and I used a jig saw to cut them to different lengths so all the boards wouldn't be the same length.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Looking good. I was thinking of using some cheap wooden boxes for buildings as well. Good idea to use them as bunkers.
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca

dcrabb

GB 52: Weapons/bunkers Complete

Post by dcrabb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Here is my finished entry for this month. As mentioned before I had already started the trench line before the start of the competition so I am not entering it. I am entering the Support weapons and bunkers since they were started in Dec. Here is what they look like now.

This is the entire line with all the bunkers in place
P1020278 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

A closer look from the other end

P1020277 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Just the bunkers and weapons stations

P1020279 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

A closer look
P1020282 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

The other ones up close
P1020283 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

I wanted to add some color and variety to the snow scene so I allowed the Commissariat to post a few posters, etc to motivate the troops defending the trenches.

P1020284 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

A cautionary poster
P1020285 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Know your enemy, cleanse on sight
P1020286 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Inspiration for the troops
P1020289 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

P1020290 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Looks like someone didn't like this Proclamation
P1020287 by Doug Crabb, on Flickr

Let me know what you guys think,
Doug

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by wizardv12222 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:04 am

I feel like I need to bring my at-at against you! Nice work :)
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

dcrabb

Post by dcrabb » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:05 am

wizardv12222 wrote:I feel like I need to bring my at-at against you! Nice work :)
Oh yeah, then I'll stab you in the belly with my light saber and toss in a thermal grenade! But if I remember right the rebels on Hoth did end up getting crushed by the Empire :(

Return to “Group Build 52”