Operation: Icestorm - Experience?

Corvus Belli's awesome science fiction game.
LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Operation: Icestorm - Experience?

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:00 am

Hello guys!

As the topic might suggest, I'm looking for comments from people who have experience with the Infinity Starter Set ,,Operation: Icestorm". Is it worth it? Is it a good start? Is it fun to play on its own? Do the missions have a replay value or are they only for learning the game mechanics? After learning the rules is it still worth to play without any additions?

Thanks in advance! :)
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Thatbakerkid
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Operation: Icestorm - Experience?

Post by Thatbakerkid » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:11 am

It is a good introduction to the game. You have fairly balanced forces and a nice set of scenarios to walk you through the rules.

As the full rulebook is available for free online, you're really buying it for the models and the terrain. The terrain is, really, the most important part. Playing Infinity on the WRONG terrain is going to be a frustrating experience.

On thing to ponder however, is the one player Starter Sets which debut'd this month in the Ariadna Army box. These will give you your army list, dice, templates, tokens and a 200pt army, plus a game mat, quick start rules, and as much scenary as Ice Storm.

This effectively gives THREE armies a Starter at this point. If you have your eye on a particular force, if you're patient you may get a dedicated box. That said, if you have no preference, the Ice Storm box will let you try the game right away. If someone else buys a copy and you swap sides, you should have enough terrain density to experience the game appropriately.
As they stirred heaven-and-earth, they combined to one...
And everything, was everyone, and each one was all.

Follow Guerrilla Miniature Games on Facebook.
New Battle Reports Monday through Friday on YouTube.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:58 pm

I can really only parrot the above response. With a game as complex as Infinity can be, Operation Icestorm can be a nice bit of hand holding to get used to the basics of the game, before jumping into the more advanced rules. The idea is that each mission will slowly introduce you to the basics with each mission and allow you get used to everything.

One other nice thing, though, is that it gives just enough terrain to learn. Early on, I found it very tempting to make as dense a board as I could. I found that hampered my learning, though. Of course, you get the same problem with not enough terrain. In the starters, there is enough that you will be able to set up your LoF's lanes while still maintaining some blind angles. Basically, it keeps it simple to help you learn.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:38 am

Thank you guys! I'm REALLY tempted to buy it and definitly will sooner or later.

On a completly different matter: Is the game very different from 40k? What would you say are the differences with the most impact on the game?
Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:58 am

It is way different from 40K. The biggest difference is the "Reactive Turn," which means that any time you move one of your troopers, any enemy troopers who can see it can take an "Automatic Reaction Order" (shorthanded to ARO). So you might want to run a guy forward to get into position, only to have him get gunned down in the process.

Hand-in-hand with the Reactive Turn is the "Face to Face" roll, where any time your trooper and your opponent's trooper are acting against each other, you'll both be rolling and comparing your results. So I might peek out around a corner with every intention of shooting you, but if you can get a lucky roll, you might actually hit me.

This constant interaction between the forces is awesome and really dismantles the "I go, you go" turn order in most wargames. It means that both players are engaged all the time (as opposed to 40K's "I'm gonna go out for pizza, give me a call when you're done with your movement phase"). It also feels MUCH more tactical. Things like suppressive fire and supporting lines of fire and stealth and mines and medics and coordinated orders really make the game interesting. Even the movement feels more tactical, as cover is such a big part of the game. And you probably won't get into it right away, but the infowar/hacking aspect of it is really cool too.

All in all, I am REALLY impressed with it.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:56 am

@Munin: That sounds a hell of a lot like the X-Com Games... and I've always loved those! Curse you... now I want to buy this box even more... :-/
Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:26 am

Do it. You will not be disappointed.

And yes, it has a very X-Com feel, that's a good way to put it.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:54 am

Well done, you did it... I ordered the box at my local game-/comicstore. And because I didn't want to leave the shop empty handed, I bought a single figure just to get back into handling metal minis... so no meat for my family during this month!

That one. I like the lizard/dragon-thingy!
Painted in 2018:

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Curiously, I have the impression that the lizard isn't the only thing that is interesting you in the miniature. ;)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:44 pm

My girlfriend said something quite similar... :D
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:09 am

My ,,Operation: Icestorm"-Box arrived finally yesterday! :)

... of course I'm currently not home and will not get back before tomorrow evening... meh...
Painted in 2018:

Spectre Senence
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Spectre Senence » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:38 am

We at Spectre Studios did a five part series on the mission scenarios if you need any help or wish to attract your friends into the game. Glad you bought the set
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HltKwN2XG ... 7LjSzH8VGm" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>