I'm new and want to start tohaa

Corvus Belli's awesome science fiction game.
wylfenstain
MiniWarGaming Regular

I'm new and want to start tohaa

Post by wylfenstain » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:20 am

So I have played 2 games and I want to start on tohaa but what do I need to know about the faction and what units do I need to buy ind what order

I hope you will help me out

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Re: I'm new and want to start tohaa

Post by Aegis » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:51 pm

wylfenstain wrote:So I have played 2 games and I want to start on tohaa but what do I need to know about the faction and what units do I need to buy ind what order

I hope you will help me out
Sadly, I do not have the experience with Tohaa, at the moment. Having said that, I am currently painting up a bunch of Tohaa for the studio, and will be tinkering around with lists.

I will bump up the list building in priority, and see if I can get some thoughts down soon.

One thing I can say, though, is that it is more the gear than the stat lines and individual models that make a difference in the game. There is some variation in profiles, AVA and the such between factions, but it really comes down to what tools your units get.

One of the cool elements of Tohaa I really like are the units with Symbiote armour. Anything that can provide additional wounds, or No Wound Incapacitation (NWI) is a huge benefit, and can make for a bit more forgiving learning curve.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Dalex
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Dalex » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:38 am

I don't play tohaa myself (but sometimes against them), but there are some great guides on the infinity-website.

Here is one of these:
http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/inde ... -tohaa-n3/

For their strengths:

- Aegis pointed out the symbiont armor, which are great but are weak against fire-based weapons (Multi-wound models instantly die, when they can't save a wound of these). Therefor i can't recommend the gorgos (the tohaa tag/"Giant Robot") for your first couple of games.
- Second there are the tohaa-fireteams. They make the Tohaa one of the most order-efficient races. This is not a great boon in your first "Kill 'em all"-matches which are typical open ended (quasi unlimited orders) - but it really shines in mission-based scenarios like infinitys official tournament system (ITS) or the campaigns like "paradiso".
- Because they can form fireteams with a wide variety of your troop choices, they become incredible flexibel.

For their weaknesses:

- No real hacking - but like ariadna or haqqislam, they are not that vulnerable to it and the kaeltar provide some effects which are similar.
- Few long-range weaponary in their link-teams. This seems pretty specific, but it's something which the tohaa-player i know is jealous of.
- "Only" 3men-linkteams. Other factions can make 1 5men-linkteam.

What should you buy?

A Starter Box and then everything you like, except the gorgos, the delegate and maybe the hatail spec-ops.

- The gorgos is a troop, which can be very discouraging for you or your opponent. If the opponent is a veteran and has fire weapons, he can put the gorgos easily down, which can be disapointing for you. If your opponent is a beginner, than you can stomp him to death with no real resistance, which is discouraging for them. When you become more expierenced you can work around his weakness and it can serve you well.
- The tohaa delegate is viable in ITS and paradiso - for your first games, she has absolutly no value.
- The hatail spec-ops uses a modular troop building concept. They are very fun, but i wouldn't use this rules for your first games, except if it's used excessivly in your meta.

Edit: Oh, i'm german - so, please go easy on my spelling. :D

wylfenstain
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by wylfenstain » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:52 am

Thanks a lot I wanted the gorgos it does look badass but I am gonna wait on that one