Paint infintiy miniatures before assembly

Corvus Belli's awesome science fiction game.
Valrkist
Silver Vault Member

Paint infintiy miniatures before assembly

Post by Valrkist » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi all,

Just bought the Ice storm set. Very very cool mini's.

But I have a question, should the miniatures be painted before assembly?

Or is it more trouble than its worth?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Paint infintiy miniatures before assembly

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:13 pm

I'd definitely lean on the "more trouble than its worth" side. Small metal models always never post-paint-assemble well (you're effectively gluing paint to paint instead of metal to metal, so the bond won't be as strong), and if you plan on doing any sort of zenithal highlighting or Object Source Lighting, it's nearly impossible to get right unless the model is assembled first.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:19 pm

You should be able to at least assemble portions prior to painting. Areas with lots of stuff hanging off them should be kept unassembled.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Vault wrote:You should be able to at least assemble portions prior to painting. Areas with lots of stuff hanging off them should be kept unassembled.
I haven't encountered an Infinity Mini yet where that was an issue, to be honest. I'm sure they exist, but so far everything I've painted has been fairly open, easy-to-paint poses.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Valrkist
Silver Vault Member

Post by Valrkist » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:40 am

Thanx for the reactions.

I'll assemble the mini's before painting. There were a few (the father knight and one of the fusseliers from Panociania) where access to paint might me tricky.

I will try... no scratch that I will paint them assembled.
(there is no try. do or do not).
Kind regards
André

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:26 am

Unless there's an important detail that I can see but have trouble reaching, I'll usually just assemble - the things you can't see easily don't warrant as much painting attention anyhow, unless you're painting competitively.

The classic is spending time painting details on a Space Marine's torso - then covering it all up with a Bolter held close to the chest. Sure, as the painter you know it's well-painted, but no one will ever see it ;)

Just use your judgement. I recently painted my Nomads Morlocks, and they're all wearing trenchcoats. The tail of the coat makes it hard to paint the backs of their legs, etc, but it also means you'll never see those parts. Further, I had to actually use a little Green Stuff to fill a gap between the tail and the rest of the coat, which would have been harder to do if I'd prepainted both sides.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 pm

I'm in agreement with EpicDuck and the rest. It's more trouble than it's worth unless there's some really obvious detail that you think you'll have trouble reaching/
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca