Looking at dropping in after Christmas.

Corvus Belli's awesome science fiction game.
Syndrome
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Looking at dropping in after Christmas.

Post by Syndrome » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:42 am

Hey all. I have been eyeing up Infinity ever since I saw my first models of it. Well, after Christmas or the new year sometime, I think I'm going to delve into it. It would mostly be my wife and myself playing, and she will player whatever I have (One day, I'll find a game that she will want to buy things for instead of just building from what is there).

Anyhow, after looking through the factions on the website, I have come down to looking between PanO, Nomads, and Haqqislam. Obviously, Operation Icestorm would be a good starting point for PanO and Nomads, and just a decent starter for Haqqislam.

My question is, out of those, which are the most balanced for new players? How well rounded are they? And is a majority female Haqqislam force viable? I like the look of their female units (highly not over-sexualized, which is strange for me, lol).

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: Looking at dropping in after Christmas.

Post by Peregrin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm not familiar with Haqqislam lists, to be honest.
However, any of those factions you mention can be balanced well for new players. Operation Icestorm will not only get you the 'beginning' models (line soldiers like Fusiliers and Aguaciles) but also it has rules to ease you into the different levels of the game.
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca

Syndrome
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Syndrome » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Okay, after seeing Ajax the Great, I think I need to toss ALEPH in the ring, too. His model is just amazing. How might they stack up for new players? And thanks for any info!

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:41 am

aleph are extremely difficult to assemble with their tiny joints, just putting that out there.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Crackers Phinn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Crackers Phinn » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:42 pm

I've always found the units for vanilla PanO to be very straight forward, kind of a point and shoot army. They have great variety right now even with the current N3 profiles.

I play Nomads and can say they're learning curve is a bit steeper since the army as a whole is a lot more fragile but each unit does it's role every effectively.

The other two I'm not familiar with except for the basics, Haqqislam can be a hoard-like army, and Aleph is a small elite army. Although Aleph profiles aren't out for N3 yet.
"The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence." -- Woody Allen