Meta of Two

Corvus Belli's awesome science fiction game.
Bigmrt
Now we're getting somewhere...

Meta of Two

Post by Bigmrt » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:08 pm

A bit of background...
In a bid to lure my wife away from the stupidbox, I bought the 40k DV set to introduce us both to mini war gaming (I'd played a couple of games of Necromunda as a teen). I love it, but she finds the game length a bit of a drag, due to limited spare time (two little kids and my tri training). She gets a bit bored when I'm having my turn.
After looking into it a little, Infinity seems like the answer, but will it quickly get boring with just the two of us playing? 40k works nicely, as on our noob-level tactics don't result in one of us winning consistently, and his is helped by random objectives. I know that if she felt she was losing every game the fun would go, and I can't blame her for being competitive.
Any thoughts?

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Meta of Two

Post by Dez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 am

I don't have any input on Infinity...but have you tried X-Wing?
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Bigmrt

Post by Bigmrt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:38 am

I love sci-fi, but have never been a big fan of Star Wars. It always felt too much fi, not enough sci!
That's the sort of comment that can get you lynched though!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:08 am

I'll rally the mob.

I haven't played Infinity myself, but my understanding is that it's much more reactive - you're never really just sitting back and waiting to take models off the table for a turn. I think Matt has a few BatReps around here that might shed more light on it ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Thatbakerkid
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Thatbakerkid » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm

In a week or two you'll see some Operation Icestorm videos playing through the new Starter. They should help you make up your mind! :D
As they stirred heaven-and-earth, they combined to one...
And everything, was everyone, and each one was all.

Follow Guerrilla Miniature Games on Facebook.
New Battle Reports Monday through Friday on YouTube.

Bigmrt

Post by Bigmrt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Great, thanks for getting back to me.
I look forward to seeing the op Icestorm vids. I've watched a few of the Learning Infinity ones, but without knowing the rules it's a bit hard to follow!

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:39 am

I played with a buddy of mine primarily for about 6 months and it didn't get old. We now have about 9 or ten people in the area playing, most of whom I introduced to the game.

The problem with a lot of wargames, in addition to what the OP mentioned, is that they are the same scenario over and over. That's one of the reasons I prefer Star Trek Attack Wing to X-Wing... different factions, creative scenarios with every ship pack, etc. They guys who play both say that's one thing they love about the Star Trek version.

Infinity is the same way. You have at least 9 ITS scenarios, learning scenarios Thatbakerkid is showing form Operation Ice Storm, an entire expansion book (Campaign Paradiso) that includes story based scenarios, new scenarios in the 3rd Edition book (mentioned in a sneak peek), and some great 3rd party systems like YAMS (yet another mission system).

Anyway, all said and done, if we keep the points to 200 or 300 and we're focused, we can usually get a good 3 games in in an afternoon. Also, being able to react during your opponent's turn has ruined me for games like 40k where (if you trust your opponent) you can practically leave and go make yourself a sandwich or something while the other player takes their turn.
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca