How hard are Infinity models to assemble and paint?

Corvus Belli's awesome science fiction game.
Reki101
MiniWarGaming Regular

How hard are Infinity models to assemble and paint?

Post by Reki101 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:29 pm

My brother and I were thinking about getting into Infinity with the Operation Icestorm box, but first I'd like to know about the physical models. From what I've seen of them, they look like they are really detailed and have a lot of tiny parts. Using Warmachine as a comparison, how much harder are Infinity mnis to handle? Also, do you need any special tools to assemble them besides a hobby knife and some supper glue?
Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword.

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: How hard are Infinity models to assemble and paint?

Post by Vault » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm kind of curious about them as well. I'm not even sure if they're metal, plastic, resin or a plastic/resin mix. :/ Warmachine iirc were a kind of resin/plastic and you coudn't use plastic glue on them.
If they're metal you'll probably want a drilling implement of some kind. Pin vice, dremel, whatever else you might use. (I once made do with a drill bit and some vice grips) so that you can pin the miniature and possibly it's arms and weapons to make darn certain they're not coming off by accident. I tend to favour a little bit of Greenstuff as well as super glue when I assemble anything metal.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 pm

They are metal, and are of a higher quality then anything GW puts out. Some of the bigger models may need pinning.

Will need to clean some flash but just some super glue is needed.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Badger
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Badger » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 pm

It varies from model to model, but most of the ones I've assembled were relatively easy. Generally they just needed some cleaning of mold lines and gluing. A few here and there required some green stuff gap filling. I haven't pinned any of mine, but there are some joints that you may want to pin for added security, but I don't think it's mandatory.

Painting wise, they're the most detailed models I've worked on. This may be a pro or con depending on how much you like painting/how good you are at it. The only models I've had any reservations about working on so far are the Caledonian stuff, purely because I hate/suck at painting tartan patterns.
"Men follow courage, not treachery."

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:00 pm

I have to agree with the last couple of posts. I've worked on a lot of different models over the years (GW, Ral Partha, Reaper, DP9, etc.) and the Infinity models are a joy to work with. There can be some small fiddly bits with some of them, so a steady hand and a nice surface to work on is helpful (in case you drop the smaller part, make sure it's some place you'll be able to find them again!) Still, I haven't had to pin anything, but there are places where you may feel more secure doing so.

As far as painting, the high level of detail makes it easier to paint a lot of the models as a result. You really can get away with some base colours and a decent wash and they'll still look good, but if you want to you can also really expand your skill working on these models. I highly recommend them, especially the newer sculpts like what you'll find in Operation Icestorm.

Here's one of my Ariadna models.... I didn't go with the tartans either... :)

Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca