Infinity Terrain

Corvus Belli's awesome science fiction game.
Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Infinity Terrain

Post by Peregrin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 am

What do you use to fill the table?

Obviously, even though the table used for Infinity is a little smaller, normally, than say 40K, etc., it takes a larger number of peices to fill the space for Infinity.

I've seen Matt's batreps and the Bandua and Micro Art stuff looks great and seems to work well on the table, but most of us can't afford to spend $20 to $40 per terrain peice when you need that many for the game. Over time, I could see collecting as much as MWG has access to, but in the mean time I have to make due.

So, my questions for everyone... how do you fill your Inifinity table, what works best for you both game wise and aesthetically, what are the best places to buy Infinity terrain (if your local store doesn't carry it, etc.)?

If you normally make your own terrain, what do you take into consideration when designing it? What materials do you use, what table themes work best for Infinity (urban, space-hulk style, natural, etc.), do you have any plans or tutorials, or can you share some online resources that you've used before?

So... lets talk. :D
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca

Apocryphal Lore
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Infinity Terrain

Post by Apocryphal Lore » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 am

I used boxes and books when starting out :)

I looked into a lot of stuff - the Dark Future stuff isn't really fitting for the Infinity world, so I needed to collect a bunch of stuff.

The first stuff I looked at were the Micro-arts MDF buildings - those are really nice but they are bit expensive and sold-out at all my local stores. The other issue I have with those is that the MDF can break while assembling and it looks like MDF (meaning the struts and supports are all the exact width of the MDF board - not a big deal though).

Bandua war games makes stuff for infinity, that's the stuff that Matt uses in his battle reports. This stuff is a little better thought-out IMO, it all fits together fairly well, stacks ok and even stores well with a kind of nesting-doll set-up. It's a little expensive because you don't get a whole lot of building for you $$, and the walkways and rooftops don't seem to line-up in every case; I almost bought this.

I finally landed on, what I believe, is the best out there. Plast Craft, made for infinity, TME building modules. This stuff is not MDF, it's PVC; which is weird because I was skeptical about these sheets that essentially feel like thick cardboard and are light like foamed plastic - I thought it would be fragile and unsuable... quite the opposite - the material is extremely strong, takes super-glue like a champ and appears to be some kind of dense, dense plastic foam (so dense it appears solid) and has the feel of cardboard but it's really, really tough to tear.

The buildings are all designed to fit together so you can build super-tall towers, or complexes connected at various points with walkways, or even sprawling ghettos of single buildings. The buildings each feature removable windows and doors that slide in through the top and can be removed or replaced depending on what you're building. Like most of the products, the doors and windows are all made for infinity scale so your figures will be a perfect height for sliding through a door way, shooting out the windows, taking cover behind walkway railings or roof edges etc.

I can't emphasize enough the modular nature of this stuff - for example when they designed the walkways, they designed them so that if you want to have the walkway go from one roof to another, no problem, however, lets say you want to put another level on one of the buildings so you have to remove the walk way right? nope! The next level fits right over the walkway and if you position the next level so that there is a doorway facing the walkway, the door is designed to be at the perfect height for the walkway, meaning it is a seamless transition from the walkway to the 2nd floor so if you had enough buildings you could build an entire Infinity board 10" off the table surface using all multi-story buildings and walkways - a true 24th century sprawl!

They thought about other things too, small stuff - like the ladder rungs are just wide enough to grab a 25mm slotted base so you can have a guy half-way up the ladder at the end of his turn (if you trust the grip - to each their own on that)

The line currently also comes with some very futuristic containers for random obstacles and cover - these are a good size, big enough for most units to cover behind but small enough that they can be placed on top of a roof - they are very curved and slightly intimidating at first but I cannot emphasize enough how well designed these products are - they are made not just to look good and fit together but also to assist you in putting them together - it took me about an hour to assemble all 6 containers.

Best part is - they're pretty cheap - I picked up 4 sets of 3 buildings for about $100; bought a few walkway sets and a 6 piece crate set and I have just about everything I need for a 4-ft table... I'm going to pick up more because I love that you can build vertically with this stuff and have inter-connected skyways. I have a dream of a 4 story hive game - but that's overly ambitious.

Anyways you can check-out plastcraft TME terrain here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02xrl687CA or visit their website; if you're a YuJing player they also produce feudal Japanese style buildings using the same materials. If you want to see the set reviewed you can watch this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz_R-kb-Pbw - It's in spanish but about halfway through he shows you how the assembled buildings come apart and how all the windows and doors attach etc. It gives you a good idea of the material and design.

Best part: They are expanding the line in January, round buildings, off-set towers and junction walkways - all of it promising to fit together seamlessly.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks for the detailed review, A L!

This is some great info. I haven't been overly impressed with the MDF stuff.... I would be satisfied with it, but I'm cheap too. :D

Bronzeback40
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Bronzeback40 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I've been looking into building my own terrain sets. Some of the players bought Micro_arts during kickstarter or other promotions and have a lot, but I don't have that kind of cash. Even after getting my security deposit back yesterday.

I figured with 6 sheets of 1/8 balsa wood and 10' or so of square balsa rod, I should have enough material to build enough terrain to cover at least a 3'x3' area sufficiently. Including wood glue, gesso, and some paint, i figure this should run me no more than $50 US and 40 hours of my time, which is always the most valuable asset. Spread over 2 months, though, that's 5 hours per week; looked in that light, it's not nearly as brutal. (Disclaimer: I've spent a good 8-10 hours drawing up plans)

The idea is that the terrain will be modular, which seems to be the big buzzword with Infinity/sci-fi terrain. Basically, I have building bases (floors and walls) which can stack on top of each other, topped off with roofs, in various sizes; IIRC, 6"x8" and 10"x12" were common - they took up a good amount of table space without taking up a metric tonne of material. I also had modular stairs and add-ons of various flavors. My big concern was that it would be a bit boxy for the 24th-and-a-half century, but i guess I can experiment with other ideas after getting the basics down, much like making maps in Unreal Editor; in a way, the skills required are actually pretty similar.

I remember "pre-rendering" my ideas on graph paper (4 squares per inch makes this really easy), so i could play around with modularity ideas in actual scale. I think it also made me realize that more small buildings might be a better idea than a bunch of large buildings. I also had ideas for magnetizing the floors, which would increase the cost but allow us to take buildings apart without making a kerfluffle out of model placement. This would increase costs, of course, but I currently have access to 16 gauge steel sheet metal and could probably salvage enough for my needs- all it would take is magnetized bases on the minis.
What, you think you're the only one who's mastered the ancient art of the nunchaku?

Apocryphal Lore
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Apocryphal Lore » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:16 am

Peregrin= my pleasure! I'm always of the mindset to share my pleasure about stuff I like so their sales increase and they can continue producing more! And I love this stuff, further to this,

Bronzeback= check out the designs for the sheets on the plastcraft buildings, you could even trace and improve on their designs; I suggest this only because they obviously had someone extremely skilled with design (the stuff reminds me of industrial fabrication design, the guys who make the designs for cutting steel to assemble large ships) do these buildings, the way all the 2 dimensional objects interlock without any protrusions is pretty genius, and the way everything fits together (different buildings, doors, walkways) is so incredibly precise, even if you modified the designs and patterns, the basic structures are just brilliant IMO, and worth investigating to see how 2D - 3D assembly is done right

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Peregrin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:55 pm

I have an idea for a modular inside board, which will mean mass producing a lot of panels, but I have some ideas for that as well.... I'll post it in the terrain section when I get started and leave a link for it here... waiting to see if I can scrounge enough cash for an airbrush right after Christmas. It will make the mass production much easier.

Apocryphal Lore
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Apocryphal Lore » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:36 am

Definitely want to see what you stir up with that!

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Peregrin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:55 am

I've got a trench themed peice I'm working on right now for the group build ( http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=108574 ) but I'm working out how to mass produce panels for the other concept while I'm working on the trenches.

Arachas
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Arachas » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:56 am

I've personally got a full table's worth of Systema Gaming (www.systemagaming.com). Completely modular, you can mix and match buildings at will. They all open up nice and easy, so playing inside the buildings is actually a viable option. And it's all very sturdy, I haven't had any problems with stuff breaking off.

Matt featured Systema in the latest battle report, (Corregidor vs. Acontecimento), so go check that out for an example. I for one love it!

Apocryphal Lore
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Apocryphal Lore » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:30 am

The Systema Gaming stuff looks amazing, the first I'd heard of it was the recent Bat-rep - I really like the raised platform systems - especially if you build a foam play board to go with it, I could totally see a moon-base table build around the terrain! It reminds me of the Warsenal stuff but a little more practical looking - Those designs are sweet - the price is a bit out of my range for a whole table - but very cool none-the-less!

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Peregrin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:52 pm

I really like the Systema stuff as well. I'm not quite ready to invest $160 cad to get the free shipping from the Czech Republic, but I'll definitly consider it in the future. Personally I prefer the Blue acrylic to the orange they sent to Matt, but it's all good.

I'll post some pics of some foamcore buildings I've done up this week once I get home tonight.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Peregrin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:42 pm

As promised:

I'll be priming and painting them later.

I have to give credit to Marc C/Stormwrath who came up with and freely shared the initial design:

http://infinitythegame.com/forum/index. ... y-outpost/

Apocryphal Lore
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Apocryphal Lore » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Very cool! Can you post a pic with a mini for scale - I'm just curious how big you built those - what did you use for material?

Nice work!

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Peregrin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Materials = Elmer's Foam Board, cereal box cardboard, sprue from a GW LotR Troll, corrugated paper, a dollar store plasticard 'Closed' sign, and some bitz... lol.... I am the king of cheap terrain! :D

I've primed them and plan on airbrushing some colour on to them tomorrow. I'll post some pics with the minis then. For quick reference, though, the walls are 3 inches high.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Peregrin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:17 pm

Sorry for the delay. I have the buildings done, but haven't taken decent pics. I've got a couple of others finished as well and I'll do the pics all together 'soon'.

In the mean time, check out my contribution to last month's "Group Build" here on the forums:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 74&start=0