New Box Set Editions or Buy Separately?

Join in on the first ever Worldwide Warhammer 40k Campaign, taking part in actually influencing the story based off of your games. All the details are in this forum.
Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

New Box Set Editions or Buy Separately?

Post by Bassmunchkin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:14 am

How often do GW bring out a new edition and if a player already has models, terrain and dice, from previous editions, would I be right in thinking that all they need to purchase is a new rule book separately, which means that the new box sets are only for newbies and if the gangs in the new boxes aren't your cup of tea as us Londoners say 😀 then that's more a reason to purchase the box contents separately

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: New Box Set Editions or Buy Separately?

Post by Dheiti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 am

It was about 3 years between 7th and 8th edition.. I think?

But in essence if you don't want Primaris marines or death guard then no, don't bother with the box set! Just need the rule book, and the relevant index (or Codex when they get released) for your army! (And dice and a measuring tape)

However whichever army you settle on, have a look if they have a 'Start Collecting' box, as these are great value!

As an example: Start Collecting Space Marines costs £50
If you bought the bits separate (Venerable Dread £28, Tactical Squad £25, captain £20(ish)) the. It's cost you £73.

Worth looking at!
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Bassmunchkin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:53 am

Crikey Dheiti, it certainly is. I best find a GW store and pop along and spend some time looking into what you suggest.

Many thanks Dheiti, really appreciate your time and money saving suggestion,
Terry

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:45 am

As you're in London, you might want to try and find Darksphere games, they sell online, but also have a store in London somewhere. Much cheaper than GW albeit with a smaller selection.

http://www.darksphere.co.uk/index.php

Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Bassmunchkin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks General-Kroll just by the Imperial War Museum, I'll pop over and have a look tomorrow lunchtime after work.

Thanks for that, very much appreciated 😊
Terry