Rules ideas for next season

Join in on the first ever Worldwide Warhammer 40k Campaign, taking part in actually influencing the story based off of your games. All the details are in this forum.
Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Rules ideas for next season

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:08 pm

I was talking to Ronin today about the rule system and I have some suggestions for a simplified rule set for next years campaign. I am going to place my ideas here for debate and suggestions!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Military Points are the primary resource for playing games in the MWG Worldwide Campaign. Points are used to play each game but can also be used to heal campaign Characters and buy bonuses.

Earning MP:
- Each player generates 3 military points per week/round that can not be traded between players.
- Bonus points can be generated by owning planets. These points can be distributed to any player.
• Hive worlds - Generate 1 MP
• Manufactorum worlds - Generate 2 MP
• Agri Worlds - Generate 1 MP & 0 FP --OR-- Generate 0 MP & 2 FP
• Other - Specialized worlds generate points at the digression of the GM.
- Players can have a maximum of 10 MP per turn.
- Each players point pool empties at the end of each week/round.

Spending MP:
- Games can be any size.
- Each game you play uses system resources. The more battles you engage in per week the more taxing the campaign is on your army and will cause you to spend more points.
• 1st game - 1 MP
• 2nd game - 2 MP
• 3rd game - 3 MP
• 4th game - 4 MP
- You may also spend MP in other ways. You must spend MP before the match starts. This is subject to the approval of your opponent.
• 1 MP you may give your warlord 1 extra wound or 1 extra attack for the week/round
• 1 MP you may heal your warlord from any sustained injury from previous battles
• 2 MP you may increase your warlords toughness by 1 for the week/round

Food Points (FP)
- Planets must be fed in order to produce their MP. Planets will either Produce FP or Consume FP for ease of campaign management.
• Hive worlds - Consume 1 FP
• Manufactorum worlds - Consume 1 FP
• Agri Worlds - Generate 1 MP & 0 FP --OR-- Generate 0 MP & 2 FP
• Other - Specialized worlds generate points at the digression of the GM.

Unfed Systems / Revolting Systems
- In the weekly planning phase, any unfed/revolting planets have a 50% chance become neutral and set up 1d2 defense points.
Unfed Planets do not generate MP.

Casual Players
- players who are not interested in using the MP system may opt to submit a maximum of 2 Battle Reports per week.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Simplified Battle Report!

Commander Name:
Faction (your army):
Campaign Alliance:
MP Pool [starting - spent = new]

Planet Targeted:
Battle Result:
Planet Defense [starting +/- change = new]
Last edited by Nexus_Crawler on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Rules ideas for next season

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:23 pm

[Added Food points to the main post]
Last edited by Nexus_Crawler on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:28 pm

One thing I'd suggest is more than two factions and the option to create sub-factions.

Nexus_Crawler

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Factions is really what army you are playing. It has no real affect on the ruleset of the campaign. It is being reported for fluff purposes mostly.

Alliance - is campaign specific. Dominion vs. Conclave, for example

I changed the wording to be a bit more clear.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

Nexus_Crawler

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:37 am

The goal of this system is to actually make resource management an important part of the campaign without making the system too difficult to work with.

Because Agri Worlds are the foundation of food production, and you must feed other worlds in order to gain Military Points, the need to protect worlds becomes very important since they provide a consumable resource. Management of Agri worlds becomes a choice that can impact MP production from other worlds.

As one alliance gains control over more territory they are able to participate in more battles (because they have more MP) but these extra battle reports are designed to be a drain on resources if one particular player tries to max out weekly reports! It is much more efficient if points are spread out to many players that cooperate.

There should be other ways to spend MP too... I was thinking of bolstering defenses on weakened planets. For example:

In the weekly planning phase, each team may spend MP to bolser the defense of up to three planets that you still own, and that have been damaged, without having to submit a battle report.

- First defense +1 = 2 MP
- Second defense +1 = 3 MP
- Third defense +1 = 4 MP
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:01 am

I propose that there are three alliances next time at least. One that's ran by player characters and not by GM characters with no actual prescence in the campaign. Not that I dislike the Scholar or the Conclave, but there should be the option to be independantly involved in he narrative.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm considering joining the campaign right now, so I guess I can give my opinion about that. Otherwise, take it like an outsider opinion. I'm on Ronin about the idea of spending points to give buffs on your general. It can lead to a lot of cheese if we allow that. Beside, I'm not someone that is an absolute adept of one man armies. I'm part of the clan who thinks that some Astartes stories in the fluff are exagerated and that you can die from a single lasgun hit, power armor and augmented biology or not.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:12 pm

Ronin wrote:What's funny is Ciaphas Cain often mentions how space marines are more vulnerable than they look and are susceptible to a lucky shot to their weak joints. Also, there was a part where he described a terminator being torn up like paper by genestealers.
Yea, exactly. They have very durable armor, but it doesn't mean they are impossible to pierce. By striking weak spots or using heavy weapons, you can fell a Space Marine.

It's like medieval and early modern plate armor. A lot of people think they were impossibly heavy and impossible to pierce. In fact, they were a few milimeters thin and weighted around 15 -25 kg max. A lot of modern soldiers carry more weight than that. They were made so that projectiles and close combat weapons would be deviated on the plates rather than fully absorbing the kinetic energy. Tournament armor was in fact thickier to prevent injuries. The late medieval sword fighting techniques involved stabbing in the weak spots between the plate and using the sword as a club to destabilise your foe. The same is true with a Space Marine. There are always weak spots to exploit and while they have very good balistic protection against small to medium weaponry, antitank firepower will go through it like a needle against a sheet of paper.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Necrons 4eva

Post by Necrons 4eva » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:38 pm

I think we should make it so that you can only move one planet away from the planet you were last turn, or you can forfeit a certain amount of points or something to move anywhere that turn, this would better represent the movements of armies. I also think there should be a blitzkrieg type system to represent armies gaining zeal and moving forward faster, maybe after taking 2 or 3 planets the cost of battling reduces by one for the next turn but if you lose then the cost goes up by one for the turn after. This would represent the troops having their morale crushed. Idk though it could be manipulated.

Also, I think in the future we should make it so that there's either an unbiased way of giving out bonuses or no way at all, there was a time when the conclave was kicking some dominion booty but the players didn't care then, I just think it's one of those things that should be established in the beginning
Necrons, Resocakh dynasty.
6255 WYSIWYG almost all painted

Chaos Space Marines, 2nd legion
~7000 WYSIWYG half painted

"It isn't the army, its the player."

"Plans are nothing, planning is everything."

Nexus_Crawler

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:03 pm

Moving can cost you an MP.

Each space moved costs you one MP.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--