GB XLVI: Snow Tower Wall (COMPLETE)

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

GB XLVI: Snow Tower Wall (COMPLETE)

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:09 pm

This is my entry as well as an introduction, as this is my first post on MWG forums.

I have recently been introduced to the hobby by a co-worker and have only been playing for about four or five months. After my first game with my friends I wanted something more in the way of terrain. We had played on a basic green GW gaming mat with 1 large hill and some snow capped trees you see for a Christmas holiday village or something. It did not feel very immersive and I wanted to feel more connected to the table, so to speak, so decided to start researching terrain. After pouring over countless hours of videos on Youtube, MWG, and other sites, I came across this group build and had an idea.

My inspiration comes from the Game of Thrones "The Wall". I wanted something LARGE. I wanted something that would block line of sight and shape the battle.

Quick sketch:

Some 2" foam cut an glued:

Few piles of foam remnants later and you have the basic shape coming around:

Last edited by mikeydynomite on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: GB XLVI: Snow Tower Wall

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:11 pm

I like where you are going so far! Are you going to put some sort of walkway along the top with some little hand rails?
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Carved out the area for the small skull I found at a pet store:

...along with a artillery shell hit in the side of the wall...and a SM for scale.

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:14 pm

@Nexus Crawler ...not exactly, BUT, it will have something up top! I just finished it all this week and finally got around to posting all the pics and description.

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:25 pm

The skull you see comes from PetSmart and I filled it with expanding foam, cut the extra off and gouged out the eyes and mouth a little.

....after I carved out the mountain sides I didnt like how jagged i made the edges and the fact that you could see all the separate layers easily so I slapped on a TON of drydex. It helped hide the layers a little. Smeared a bunch in the eyes and mouth to smooth it all out for more of a "carved in the side of the mountain look"

I didnt like how the top was so bland after this so I carved out some little "boulders" to go on the top to break it up a bit. 1) for cover and 2) cause it looked cool! (the most important part)

(sorry for the unpainted marines you will see...that is the one part of the hobby I actually dread... painting my guys.)

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:31 pm

sanded the boulders down a bit to make it look a little more natural and smeared some more drydex to blend the transitions from the rocks to the top a bit better. Since I am going for a snow topped tower/wall/mountain effect, I really layered on the drydex for a rippled snow look at the end.

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:35 pm

I made the back of it flat so I could position it around the table against the edge or ....another tower altogether...

I had a hard time getting the drydex to completely dry after a day so I put it in my car when I went to work to BAKE it all day. It worked perfectly.

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:41 pm

A couple more coats of the drydex around for a better effect, Rinse and repeat for the 2nd tower and now its time to start base coating. I painted my office in a deep gray color and had plenty left over and thought it would be a nice grayish base color.

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:48 pm

winning.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:17 pm

While waiting for the paint to dry on the base coat, I decided to cut out some terrain to go with the 2 towers...

Someones hiding!!

back to the towers in a bit.....

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mikeydynomite » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Sadly I have no pics when I was finishing the painting process, so these are the finished piece pics. Friend left some of his painted marines so my pics wouldn't look so bad, lol....

Closeup:

Towers back to back forming a massive 36" wall, on our 4x6 table.

.....and finally, the two towers in action...

Enjoy!

Nexus_Crawler

Re: GB XLVI: Snow Tower Wall (COMPLETE)

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 am

That looks like a lot of fun. can you post some pictures of the tools you used?
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

mikeydynomite
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mikeydynomite » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:14 pm

@Nexus_Crawler: Tools used were the standard ones. hot wire foam cutter, razor blades, drydex, expanding foam, and a foam sand block.

\Image

dcrabb
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by dcrabb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Huge!! At first I thought this wall would be too big for a table but the other pieces really bring the walls into scale. The paint job is awesome too!

How do you play without knocking the big walls over since they are so light and don't have bases?

Also, how did you achieve the effect you have on the top of our table?

ozone88101
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengePlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by ozone88101 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:24 pm

I LOVE IT!

Reminds me of Guild Wars 2

If i dont get my entry done in time (thanks to bloody hospital visits), you got my vote!
TAU 10420-11350
GUE'VESSA 683
KROOT 1207
SISTERS 716
SANGUINE ANGELS 7725
I. GUARD 6265

H. Elves 4038
D. Elves 3943
Lizardmen 1095
Bretonnian 0 /cry
+ LOTR, Warmaster, Anima Tactics, Warmahordes

Return to “Group Build 46”