Bronzeback40's POTW

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Bronzeback40
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Bronzeback40's POTW

Post by Bronzeback40 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:33 am

Hoorah!

I started my new job three weeks ago. Amongst other things, I now work less than 10 hours per day and even get days off! (What a concept, right?)

Part of my free time will include getting back into painting after a couple months off. Fist thing was to shake up my paint pots to get the pigments re-mixed and trying it out.

I know I'm technically 24 hours early, but my goal for 12-14-2013 is to get the following finished:
Cryx Seether jack
random Reaper bones model I picked up (Could be used as a Chaos Lord for Fantasy if I still played)

Updates to come
What, you think you're the only one who's mastered the ancient art of the nunchaku?

Bronzeback40
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Bronzeback40's POTW

Post by Bronzeback40 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Well, good news and bad news.

Bad news: Got sidetracked by personal issues for much of the week. Reaper Bones mini not finished.

The GOOD NEWS:

My favorite helljack is ready for tabletop beatdowning.

For my next trick, I will be doing a special assembly mini-conversion of Master Necrotech Mortenebra and Derilyss. This conversion will likely take a week, so POTW for the week of 12/22 will become COTW. Will post pics of finished assembly next Saturday night.
What, you think you're the only one who's mastered the ancient art of the nunchaku?

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by wizardv12222 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:56 pm

that's a good looking mini!
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

Bronzeback40
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Bronzeback40 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Thank you. If I could figure out a way to get rid of the spottiness from sealing, I'd be even happier.

I'm overall happy with the shading and highlighting on the purples. It's a step beyond my previous attempts with the color; all the highlights ended up too pink for my tastes. With this, i think I got the right amount of highlight without losing the tone. I was really happy with the shading; again, I didn't really lose too much of the basic tone. As much grief as reds and whites get, I think purple is a really difficult color to paint due to the need to maintain tone.

Of course, my whole Cryx force is in purple, so i'll get a lot of practice. The large, smooth areas were a real test, but while I normally do folded robes well, it presented a real problem with (classic) Asphyxious; I'll post pics when I get the chance to pull my Cryx from my locker at the game shop. (Yes, our game shop is That. Damn. Cool.)

The approximate recipe is (PP paints and Citadel washes/shades)
Coal Black + beaten Purple
Beaten Purple
Wash with Drakenhof Nightshade
Beaten Purple + Sanguine Base
Beaten Purple + Sanguine Base + little touches of Frostbite to final highlight (three mixes)
Glaze with thinned Druchii Violet

If i had a chance to do it again, I might have cut out the third highlight, or at least covered less area than I did with it. I'll try to apply that to my next jack for the army.

Bronzeback40
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Bronzeback40 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:00 pm

This week: Mortenebra and Derilyss.
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 37#p964737